News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Traveling with Kids and Installing Car Seats

Started by jbtbbrewer, June 26, 2016, 10:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbtbbrewer

Does anyone have experience with traveling with children in car seats in these rigs? How did you go about installing them. We have two small children who wont be out of seats for a while and need desperately to hear ideas. My thoughts were to create a harness system with the backs of their seats against the cab ( remove cushions while on the road ) and run the connections to the bolts that the cab seats are bolted to. Any thoughts?

pdxpfeifer

hi jbtbbrewer -
did you ever figure this out? When my kids were younger 3 years ago, I bolted heavy duty eyelets into the back of couch area. Our rear kitchen 1977 had the couch area rebuilt, so the wood was solid, mounting into metal is the ideal, but I did like one inch hole opening in the eyelets and twisted them down deep and hard into the wood with a flat head screw driver to get enough torque.

I then used one of those adjustable seat belts that have the metal clips and straps that come with the baby bucket seats and used that to strap the 5 point harness car seat to the couch area. I got it super sight and the car seat was solid. I used the passenger front seat for the second five point harness child seat.

My husband pointed out this should all be mounted into a metal frame, but that's really not possible in a rig that old. My main goal was to give a place for the children to be restrained as best as I possibly could. I have mounted seat belts that they use today now that they are 6 and 9 years old, they know how to sit still in the RV. Again, I don't know if they would actually hold for safety in a crash, but I do know they keep the children safely and securely in their seats for curves or stopping the vehicle. 

Sorry to be late, hope that helps. If you found a  better solution, please share!!

Best
Robyn
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799