News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Removing and replacing ceiling?

Started by pdxpfeifer, March 26, 2016, 10:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

I got the first kitchen hatch out the one over the rear kitchen area and realize that I have extremely extensive dry rot in that portion of the ceiling in the back half of the RV it's also looks like it's coming out of the bathroom area to be pulling replacing that hatch because it's also dry and brittle.

How do I remove the ceiling? I can't find any signs of screw holes or anything else I know I've been read that there are supports up there that I need screw new paneling to, but how do I get it out of there? I don't see any screws holding original ceiling? And I don't see any under the black molding strips, which I can't get to budge.

Do the kitchen cabinets need to come out? How please?

I also see  right at the corner where the kitchen cabinets touch the wall for the bathroom that corners extremely dry rotted and it looks like there's moisture in it currently on the wood supports tripping I'm assuming that that's the ventilation tube for the bathroom? And then the caulking around it on top looks good in the covers not cracked so any suggestions of what might be causing leaking in there?

Sorry to be so extensive, but I'm hoping to do some the work myself  I really don't want to show another one to $2000 the shop at $120 an hour to do the work for me.

I have checked all the old news letters here and the forum. People are doing it, but don't say how? I also have to replace the panel at the. Door entrance on the refrigerator wall.

Any help would be appreciated
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

pdxpfeifer

Update: Clipper Joe called and we chatted a bit, he had good ideas. I have just used a box cutter to scortch and break out the ceiling panel, since it's so thing. Once I got a bit out I could see where the support beams are - all of them are molded. I have to do all the paneling in kitchen and bath on the ceiling.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove bathroom cabinet that has vent pipe running through it? And get last bits of paneling out between bathroom wall/ shower area, because that support beam in shower area has dry rot. Living area near air conditioner seems ok, but I still have to get the ceiling cut away there.

pdxpfeifer

Picts of the mold damage.. I have taken out everything on the back half kitchen area. All the framing wood around the vents were rotted and most of the ceiling could be ripped out with my hands. The previous owner hid it with those white ceiling carpets. I had been putting it off, but the vents were just too brittle to function anymore.

I think I can bleach and salvage the back joist inside the cabinets and the one at the front by the air conditioner, but the others will have to be rebuilt.