News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

14 x 14 hatch replacement and bathroom fan question

Started by pdxpfeifer, March 08, 2016, 07:23:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Hi everyone
Both my 14x14 are super brittle. The kitchen one now has a broken lid. I had put a vortex after market fan into the kitchen vent.

I put a vent cover on the bathroom to protect the brittle cover.  The seals inside the kid are dry and brittle.

I am assuming just replace both at this point? I like the fans and found a ma air complete unit 4 speed fan vent on sale for $94. So I thought I would get a vent replacement and move the vortex fan I already have to the bathroom and replace that one, since lid it brittle and fan works but is loud and has chips out of it. BUT what do I do about LIGHTS in bathroom? I have those lightbulb a mounted into the existing bathroom fan.

Thanks for your help
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

Toedtoes

Watch the maxair fans - some use a lot of battery power.  Not a problem if you always have hookups, but if you dry camp could be a problem.

The vent covers are great.  You can leave the vents open all the time - even driving down the road and in the rain.

Since the wiring is there for the lights already, you should be able to easily install a new LED ceiling light just to the side of the vent.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

pdxpfeifer

cool, thanks - I was thinking I could just do an LED next to it. Thank, good info to know about the Maxxair fans. I don't usually run them at all,since it is cool here in Oregon. We are usually mountains or ocean for camping. If I have to run them it's only about 10 minutes too cool off from the vehicle being closed.

Do you think I need that larger - broader vent cover? The installation guide was saying to use the bigger vent with the wrap around kind of vent - they are currently running about $10 more, about $42? supposedly more air ventilation to pull from?

Toedtoes

For the vent cover, I would go with the cheap Camco standard version (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40431-Roof-Cover-White/dp/B000BUQODG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457494470&sr=8-1&keywords=camco+vent+cover)  But shop around, you can get them for as low as about $15 if you look.  If you're a walmart shopper, they usually have the lower price.  Both Clipper Joe and I have them and they work fine.  I don't think the fancier ones give you any more flow - they don't have that much more vented area to pull/push the air.

I really only turn the fans on when I'm cooking or it's hot and breezy.  But by leaving the vents open, you have the air exchange you need to run the heater.  My main reason is because I can hear the breeze through the trees at night and smell the scents of the outdoors, without having that cold breeze hitting me through an open window.

Toedtoes

You know as I'm thinking about it, I think the flourescent light can be removed from the vent and put back up with your new one.  I remember pulling a TV antenna out of my clipper (they ran it across th e top of the shower and out the vent.  The light appeared to just set up into the opening and was simply attached to the wires.

So, take a look and see - you could just reinstall the light with the vent.

pdxpfeifer

I found an led one to install. My lights are brittle and just raw bulbs that have four and stick out I think it's a Jensen model?

I found a nice flat led I can just run additional wiring too.

Any suggestions on REMOVING THE HATCH? It took me 2 freaking hours to George sealant scraped off of the one over the kitchen area. Only to realize how badly my ceiling is damaged.  I'm about to out out a request on how to remove ceiling - sigh

pdxpfeifer

lol only and hour and 15 min for the second hatch, that frame is dry rotted too.