News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Need multiple repair suggestions- Windows, hatches, & rear

Started by pdxpfeifer, October 04, 2015, 05:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxpfeifer

Hey everyone. Suggestions for repairs please.

Prob#1  We have a 1977 dodge 440 with rear kitchen. The windows in the dinners and couch area won't stay closed when driving. They flap and I have to duck tape them shut. The twisting handles don't work and I have to use a screw driver to open and close. The Windows are all the way "closed" with screw driver but still flap
In the wind.

Problem #2 top emergency hatch, the handle has sheared off  :-[
Now that hatch is flapping in the wind- I keep duck taping it down, but it keeps coming off. Any suggestion on replacing the handle or keeping the big hatch closed? Do they make a vent cover that big?

Problem#3 fiberglass separation to left of rear door in rear end. The holes that the screws went into for the fiberglass, where the passenger side of the vehicle meets the rear end has separated about 1/4" I know how to get black molding off, but since screw holes are broken, what's best way to re-mount or re-align fiberglass?

Prob#4 - front large stationary window is leaking. Saw tiny steady trickle of water coming inside large window in bed area through the seal and pooling in metal casing. I'm assuming window seals need to be redone? What's the best way and best product?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!!

Robyn
Nina the Clipper in Portland!
1977 440 rear kitchen #3799

kenmel

Problems 1,2 and 4 the club sells the replacement hatch and window parts and seals. if they don't have the window cranks anymore here is a link to some, it is the first one I think for ours: http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Window_Hardware_s/27.htm

As for the fiberglass I would ask at your local body shops that specialize in Fiberglass car repair or a boat repair shop. I am sure someone else will be along and know something. Best of luck.                          And post pics lol. Ken
Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805

Clipper Joe

Hello Robyn & (Nina Clipper)

#1   The Windows On Clippers Are Made By Hehr. Those Gear Drive Units Are Sold Right & Left Side. Mel Our Supply Offers These, He Has them In Clipper Jr. Parts Trailer & Brings Them To Rally He Attends. You Save On Shipping Charges When You By Clipper Parts @ Rally.
He Also Has Plastic Knobs, But RV Shops Also Sell Them. ;)

#2    On This Problem On Hatch, You May Want To Replace, The Complete Unit In Long Run Not Much More Than A Cover Only. You Can Try Mel Supply Officer 1st. E-Bay But Make Sure You Have Proper Size, Without Measuring 15' X 22". You Also Should Get Some Dicor White Self Leveling Sealant. If Not Handy, Can Try Camping World For Install Or Local RV Shops.

#3   Is There A Way You Can Send A Few Photos Or Post Them, Really Hard To Say Without Looking At Problem Area. Water Getting In Is What Causes Dry rot & Screws Will Not Hole In Wood Frame Behind Seams,These Clippers Are Four Part Units. I Will Try & Get Some Copies Of Orig. Mfg. Drawing & Get Back To You.

#4  On These Old Clippers, Water Can Damage A Lot :-\ First Off Try To Find Where Water Or Leak Is Coming From. There Is A Black Rubber Seal That Holds Aluminum Frame Then Glass,The Glass Is Sealed To Aluminum Frame With 100% Clear Silicone  Then A Rubber Seal( Mel The Supply Office Has It By The Foot, Also Allrite.Com You Ash For 1/8" Hehr They Are More The Mel Sells Them For The Only Come In Black, The Original Ones Around Most Clippers Where Gray.
Also, I Would Make Sure Water Is Not Coming In From Clearance Lights, Also There Is A  Aluminum Frame That Holds Fiberglass Seams Together, I Would Check There Also ;)

Hope This Will Help Answer Your Question?  It Make a Lot More Easier To Have A Photo, That We Can See ;D

Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher