News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Door Porthole Window

Started by Sfine, August 14, 2015, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sfine

Has anyone replaced the plexiglass in the round window?  The rubber seal appears to be one unit, inside to out. With the glass in the center. Ours does not leak, so I'm hesitant to monkey with it, but would love to replace the checked stuff that's there now.
  We've seen some Clippers with stained glass over that same porthole window. Can anyone tell me how it was mounted, a photo perhaps?  We're having stained glass made for our door, but aren't sure how we'll install it yet. Being that it's on a door that might/could slam in the wind if caught, just want to be safe. 
  Right now the plan is to make the glass to fit against the rubber seal on the inside of the door, then have some clips that catch the edge and screw into the metal door. Rubber washers, and maybe a bead of adhesive silicone around the lip.... What say you? And ideas?
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Clipper Joe

Hi Steve,
Read Your Post, Un-Less You Have The Porthole Rubber Seals, I Would Just Silicone The Plastic To Inside.
On The Entry Door, I'm Trying To Get A Friend Of Mind He Is A Great Artist, Going To Get A Sample That A Few Clipper Owners Have & He Said He Would Make A Few Dozen Fo Us Clipper Owners.

They Are Painted On Lexan Plastic, They Will With Stand The Heat.
You Mount The 10 7/8" Circle You Use Clear Mirror Plastic Clamps 1/8"-1/4" You Can By @ Lowes Or Home Depot Home Decor Section..

Take Care,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

I believe mine is the original glass (because it IS glass not plexiglass).  Same with my portholes next to the cab.

I would think you'd be able to fit the new glass inside the rubber seal, then run a bead of silicone under the rubber seal on both sides.  That should seal it nice and keep the finished look.  It might require a tool to pull the rubber over the edge of the glass at all points (like putting a tire on the rim).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Sfine

That's what I was thinking, like soap?!,  surely someone got it in there, I'll get it out.  I will replace it with real glass...tempered. All of my oval windows are plexiglass...if the door goes easy, I'll do them as well....stay tuned. 🙊
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California