News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Camping Safety

Started by Toedtoes, April 27, 2014, 06:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Just curious what others feel about camping out safety wise.

I've gotten used to camping solo with just the critters.  I started out only camping during peak season in campgrounds with camphosts.  Now, I prefer to camp in those campgrounds off season when the camphost has left and there are few others around.  The dogs have more freedom, the quiet is amazing, and I get my pick of sites.  I do stay mostly at national forest campgrounds because they have basic amenities (toilets, running water, picnic tables) and they don't ban dogs from hiking trails.

For the most part, I'm not too concerned about those camping around me.  I take precautions to lock the clipper when my camera gear and/or bird are in it, but outside of that, I don't worry about people messing with my stuff.  As to potential trouble with other campers, I do pay attention to those who seem to be excessively drinking; get louder as the night gets later; drive through the campground like they're on the autobahn, etc.  But outside of that, I don't really pay attention to their music, socializing, etc.

On a recent camping trip, a solo male camper started telling my friend and I about how he was going to pack up and go home because he was sure the newly arrived campers were going to beat him to death while he slept in his tent.  The campers in question were 2 couples who were spending the evening around their campfire listening to music and joking and laughing.  The solo camper was certain they were "troublemaking partyers".   We thought he sounded like a "scared old woman".

But, it's got me thinking.  Am I too relaxed about my camping?  Should I be more concerned about my camping neighbors, especially as a solo woman?  Should I have been more concerned about camping alone in a campground with only one other, solo male, camper around? 

P.S.  I don't own a gun either.  If there is trouble, my mode of protection is to hop in the driver's seat and get the hell out (which is one of the reasons I decided on an RV).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes

You Hit It Pretty Well In Your Post, I Know Things While Camping Years Ago, It Was A Rule Of Thumb, You Did Not Walk. through Another Persons Camp Site.
Also, For Me I Use To Leave Most Of My Fishing Stuff My Boat,
Now I Chain & Lock Oars, Gas Tank, Fishing Net, Rod Holders & Engine To Boat,
I Always Now Take My Fuel Hose Back With Me, Have Heard Of Ya- Hoos Taking The Whole Boat Rig.

You Can Tell Who Are Friendly Enough Campers, & Stay Away From The Drinking Ones,
My Shelf & Wife Are Not Much On Alcohol,maybe If Real Hot A Small Beer or Glass Of Wine With Dinner.

My Wife Said Would Be Good To Have Pepper Spray Or  Tazer, For if Needed For a Charging Animal or Unruly Person.   

We Mostly Go To State Or National Parks, & Meet Up With Friends To Have A Great Time.

I Have Friends That Leave Everything On Camp Table & Never Even Lock Up,
Go Figure, Never Cares.

Happy Camping & Stay Safe, ;D

Joe & Denise
ACOC # 3749
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Sfine

Where in the heck are you two camping at...? The Hood.?!?!?  8)
Knock on wood,....but I have never, ever had a bad experience with another camper, maybe a barking dog at worst. 
Oddly, my mom asked if I carry a gun, as she and my dad did when they traveled. Although it may be a good back up in a dire emergency, I know better that there is not a wild animal in the campgrounds that want to eat humans...we don't taste good because we eat processed crap!  Most serial killers will kill ya before you can grab your pistol anyway, so, why bother ?!  Buy the darned drunk a beer, he'll be a friend for life...probably even watch your site if asked. All in all I have found that we are all out in the great outdoors for the same reason, to relax, enjoy.  We don't all relax and enjoy the same, but I like to convince myself that at least for today we all share the same interest by camping in the same beautiful spot .  Let's just all get along and have fun.   In Lassen last month, everyone (6) different sites allowed all the dogs to mingle about...they all got along,we all got along, we shared fish, we shared food, and we all respected the others privacy. I know is always doesn't work out that way, but the role we play in contributing to a happy and safe campsite is huge it the results we harvest.
Wave at everyone mom, it's a small island!
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

I've personally never had a problem with other campers which is why I asked about this.  It seemed so paranoid the way this solo camper was freaking out about the other campers.

I find pepper spray and tasers to be ineffective deterrents.  In order for them to be effective, the animal (person) has to be right on top of you.  At that point: 1) you are just as likely to spray/taser yourself; 2) the animal/person may just get more aggressive; and 3) you lost your opportunity to get the hell out of there while you had the chance.  I worked at a law enforcement agency and watched one of our officers get sprayed point blank with a full can of pepper spray - it didn't even slow him down.  Your best chance is to make yourself as big as possible (open your jacket and hold the sides out; stand up tall; spread your arms; etc.) and slowly back off.  Don't turn around, don't run, don't shrink into yourself.

I agree about how our actions affect how others act.  I try to be considerate.  I try to let folks enjoy their experience in their own way.  I don't assume everyone is out to get me - but I always pay attention to my surroundings.  I don't complain about everyday noises - kids yelling while playing, dogs barking when someone goes by, generators running at the allowed times, etc.  Play your music in the evening, laugh and joke around the campfire, etc.  When it gets late, turn down the noise and let others sleep.  If you're setting up late at night turn off the headlights, do the "must do" items and leave the rest for tomorrow.  If you're getting up early, keep the pot banging to a minimum. 

I am careful about my dogs and prefer that folks respect my wishes that they don't let their dogs wander into my site without: 1) the owner there and in control of the dog; and 2) a heads up so I can separate my dogs first.  If there's time for the dogs to become accustomed to each other, great; but if not, I don't want to take chances.  Because of my dogs' breed mixes, I have to be aware that any altercation will be blamed on my dogs - regardless of the facts of the situation.  No one is gong to blame the cute schnauzers for the dog fight when there's a doberman or pit mix to blame - even if the fight occurs in my campsite and my dogs are on their leashes.  The fight will always be due to the "aggressiveness" of my dogs and not due to the other owner's failure to control their dog and its behaving dominantly/aggressively in my dogs' space.

I do tend to prefer to remain solitary when I'm camping for the most part.  I like my alone time.  Which is why I have started camping in the off-season.  The occasional chat is fine, but when I hear folks say "I set up my camp and then go visit the other campers", I cringe.  I just don't want to be that social when camping.  Now, if I'm headed to a rally or a group camping trip, that's different. 
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754