News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

carbarator

Started by suziq, June 25, 2013, 03:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suziq

My 77 Dodge is backfiring and was told I need an original carb. Blew mufflers. Help?

Clipper Joe

Hello Suziq,

You Stated You Have A 1977 Dodge, Is Your Engine A 440 V-8?  If So our Clippers Came With A Quad jet Carburetor.

Most Orig. Clipper Owners Say The Work Very Well When Rebuilt Properly & Add Sealant To Plugs @ Bottom Of Carb. So They Don't Leak Into Engine.
I Have Replace My Orig. Carburetor with A Calif. Smog Approved 50 State, Edelbrock  Performer Carburetor Model # 1905. They Are Not Cheap. I Installed It Many Years Ago When I Rebuilt Engine. Clipper Runs Great & Starts Well.

Getting Back To Your Question, You Can Try & Find A New Carb, Have Your Old One Rebuilt, Or Buy A Upgraded Newer Model Like Edelbrock Replacement. Since The Rebuilt One May Cost You Much Less. May Be The Easy Way Out.. I Know It s A Pain To Have A Mechanic Working On Engine The Price Cost Seems No Ending.

Let Us Know How You Make Out, By Posting A Post It May Help Other Clipper Members That May Have A Similar Problem.

I Will Try & Post The Box My Carburetor Came In. I Had In Garage With Orig. Carb. In It....

Hope This Helps,
Regards & Welcome To OCOC :)

Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

suziq

thanks, has been rebuilt before I got it I was told, that is the problem. Will give my mechanic the info and see if it can be done, has been done, or will help. Thanks again.

retrorob

Since you blew the muffler you must be backfiring out the exhaust. Does it backfire when you try to start it or when the engine is running? It make a difference in diagnosis of your trouble.

suziq

Talked to Mech he said the carb I have in there is the one you sugg. It was backfiring only when it was vapor locked. But today it did it when I went to start it after sitting for a month. Thanks for the input.

Clipper Joe

Hi Suziq,

I Met A Fellow Clipper Owner, He Has A 1979 Clipper It Has A Chevy Chassis , He Bought A> Mr Gasket Kool Can, They Have Them Online It Is Maybe Called> Cool Can, You Put Ice Cubes Or Dry Ice, & It keeps Fuel Cool, Has Coil Inside Alum Can. I'll Try & Post Link.
http://mr-gasket.com/aluminum-cool-can-brushed.html   

They Have Them Also On E Bay, A little Cheaper, & Free Shipping..

You May Want To Run This By Your Mechanic? ..................

The Only Thing I Don't Like Is Your Fuel Line Is Install By Way Of Rubber Neoprene Fuel Hose. Not A Good Way Because Of All The Heat In Engine Compartment. I May Try & See If I Can Put A 3/8" Stainless Steel Line To Carb & Mount Unit Under Cab On Frame Rails.& Make A Bracket So I Can Add Ice When Needed..
I Think He Said The Use These In The Racing Industries..
Have You joined The ACOC? & What State Do You Live In?
We Live In Northern California, East Bay..

Regards,

Joe & Denise 
ACOC#3749

suziq

thanks for the info, I think I am going to have to sell if I can. Took a trip with my Mom, (90 yo) too hard to boost her into the upper bunk. need one with 2 beds down. will run this by my mech anyway.

Clipper Joe

Hi Suziq,
I will try & list a few photos, of my upgraded lower Beds, I took out the table & 2 Small Swivel Chairs, made a 24"x 75" pull out bed.
You Slide lower section Plywood, then you have lower & 24" back rest. Bed Size when lowered in place is 36" wide x 75" long. You have a small table leg under each end for Support.

Try not to sell your Clipper, they are Great Rv's..

Will get you a few photo, it will show what I'm writing About.

Joe
ACOC#3749

LARRY RAY

If anyone out there is in the market for a new carb, I have one for sale cheap. Edelbrock (?)   650cfm  !00.00 and I mail
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Sfine

Larry Ray,
Any chance that you might still have that carb.? I would be interested.
Is it ready for installation, or does it need work first?
  If so, lets chat.  I'm going to the rally in San Andreas, you could bring it if you plan on attending, just a thought.
Steve
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

LARRY RAY

It's new, and in a box. I'm in Texas, so no chance of ever attending a rally. With age taking it's toll, I may have to sell the whole rig before long.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Clipper Joe

Hi Larry Ray,
Did the Clipper come out with a 750 Cfm Q-Jet on The 440-3
& 750 Cfm on 360 V-8?

The replacement I got was   Eldelbrock 1905.
It Runs Great, No  hesitation & StraHi Larry Ray,
Did the Clipper come out with a 750 Cfm Q-Jet on The 440-3
& 750 Cfm on 360 V-8?
Does your Carb have Electric Choke?

The replacement I got was  Eldelb 1905.
It Runs Great, No  hesitation & Starts Great.
I posted a Photo in a earlier post. Not Sure if they are still  Avalibale.
They are 50 State Legal, we Have Hard Smog Laws in Calif.
On 1976 to Present Years...

Joe
ACOC#3749