News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Where is everyone II

Started by Horst, May 02, 2012, 07:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

retrorob

I'm still working on mine(new pergo floors) but I think the answer to your question is:
$4.50 a gallon, 5-8 mpg = Clippers sitting in driveways.

Horst

I'm afraid you're right retrorob.
We haven't taken a trip since October, 2011.
Only two trips in all of 2011 in fact - sad.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

I haven't been online much lately.  Remodeled the kitchen in the house, new cabinets, counter top, tile on walls, electrical (lights and plugs) new gas range.  Wife was so impressed she had me build a deck off the master bedroom, then repair deck on front of house.  sigh....  Lastly a new craft room for her with lighting and outlets!  damn!

Now back working on the Clipper.  Getting ready to take a trip to New Mexico via Blyth, CA.  I'm looking for a spare tire for my rig and a drive shaft disconnect for my Jeep Cherokee.  Going to two it behind me with the generator in the back of the Jeep... hahah...  And extra portable holding tanks in case we primitive camp a day or two.

Wife wants a new passenger seat, she says the stock seat is uncomfortable.  So gotta find something that fits.  I thought I had a pair of seats, but they didn't work out.  Still searching.
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

LARRY RAY

Same here $gas vs mileage. Illness and wife surgery. Maybe a trip this fall with the boat. Sure wish I hadn't already fried my last batch of crappie. Dang I sure miss having those family fish fries with all the trimmings.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

mccammonds

You might want to check "REMCO.COM"  for the drive shaft disconnect.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

Rodney

Still here but not very active lately on the Clipper or any forum for that matter.
Hope everyone is doing well and healthy!
I have been helping a couple friends / drag racers getting there cars ready of the 2012 season. This turned in to months of work in bursts while trying to recover from knee and shoulder surgery. Since being retired as of last year it's been difficult to adjust since it was more of a forced thing due to disability's. I have still been restoring my Clipper, not sure if I posted the last upgrades so should get some images ready to do show what I've been doing.
I have been experimenting with carburetors, I've been running an Elelbrock  750 and then tried a 600 cfm and now running a Rochester Q-jet. I also installed an electric fuel pump to get fuel to the carb on cold starts, that really helped the engine fire much quicker.
The clipper also had a leak I didn't catch soon enough which forced me to rebuild the over head head area. This really turned out to be a good thing once I got started replacing and covering panels made a huge difference in the look of the interior.
I'll be using the Clipper at the race track this year and hopefully take a few short trips and enjoy the summer.
The wife, dog and I took a drive to Perry South camp ground this weekend {in the car} and found a Clipper in the camp ground. That was nice to see, it was a clean looking Chevy with the big rear window floor plan. I should have stopped and visited but didn't this time.
see ya :)

prophetdaniel2

Well the snow has finally melted and the mud has firmed. Decided to fire Bessie up, but didnt want to charge batteries and such, so after a quick check of fluids I turned the ignition and SHAZAM! I love these old Dodge vans/campers! still havent located a set of four new tires (rear duals) so probably wont go far very quickly...but it will all hafta wait till I get back from work in two weeks....But the look of joy on my 5 sons faces was priceless as the 440 roared to life unexpectedly after 6 months of -20deg weather... only problem so far is the generac wont turn over mysteriously.....Mice?  we will see...
-PD2

Mac

We've been busy camping our butt's off. Making plans to sell everything & become a full time camper.

USNRetired

Have been online beating the bushes for new or used 16.5 tires.  Need a spare and have decided to follow another RVR's example and buy a tire without mounting it.  Save on weight and since you never know whether it's going to be a front or rear tire, why mount it.  When I call Good Sam or AAA, I'll just ask them to send a rig that can mount tires.  Even if I  have to wait a couple hours longer, heck! I've got a bed, a TV, a generator, Coffee and food.... I've even got snake bite medicine (Sour Mash & Scotch).  haha!

I think I've found a place in Reno that sells new Firestone 16.5 inch LT's and will ship them to me cheap!
ACOC #3714

USNRetired

Got that spare tire finally!  Take a look at my other recent posts.  Took two white tire protection covers (bought at Wally World) made an envelope to encase the tire.  Tied it down on the roof between the kitchen and bathroon vent and right behind the Roof AC Unit.  No wheel because of the difference between the front and rear wheels.  If I have a flat, will call Sams Club or AAA Roadside Assistance, tell them I need someone who can mount a tire on a wheel and inflate it.  Even if I have to wait a couple of extra hours, it's worth it.  I'll just make a sandwich, brew some coffee and read a book until help shows up.
ACOC #3714

Mac

I guess I have the original 16" tires???

When I had a flat in the snow on a grade to the mountains the guy who came out told me I had a rare tire, I thought he was just trying to rack up the charges. It was almost $500 for a tire & service, regardless I bought (2) two. When I rolled back into town I went to Discount tire & they sold me Bias tires, non-radials. I guess this is the thing because when a radial goes it beats the crap out of your wheel well as I experienced along with my fresh water pump. I could have evaded that whole senerio had I had biased tires & could cut the tire off.

I put the radials up front & got the biased tires back aft. I put a new spare on too. The tire cover wouldn't fit the spare right originally. Guy at discount said that Jimmy Carter probably owned the spare it was so old and it was a 16.5. So I guess the 16.5 fits on the original rims.

My current tires are the same sized as the backs, is that wrong????/

Thanks!

After that trip I had all the tires replaced from discount tire

LARRY RAY

The Dodge came out with 16.5". According to the sticker inside the door they are 875/16.5. No whether you have radial or not is up to eachs own preferance. For me I like the radial. Just always sure about the torque on the lug nuts and the pressure.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

LARRY RAY

Quote from: Mac on July 18, 2012, 09:32:38 PM
I guess I have the original 16" tires???

When I had a flat in the snow on a grade to the mountains the guy who came out told me I had a rare tire, I thought he was just trying to rack up the charges. It was almost $500 for a tire & service, regardless I bought (2) two. When I rolled back into town I went to Discount tire & they sold me Bias tires, non-radials. I guess this is the thing because when a radial goes it beats the crap out of your wheel well as I experienced along with my fresh water pump. I could have evaded that whole senerio had I had biased tires & could cut the tire off.

I put the radials up front & got the biased tires back aft. I put a new spare on too. The tire cover wouldn't fit the spare right originally. Guy at discount said that Jimmy Carter probably owned the spare it was so old and it was a 16.5. So I guess the 16.5 fits on the original rims.

My current tires are the same sized as the backs, is that wrong????/

Thanks!

After that trip I had all the tires replaced from discount tire

ON THE HIGHWAY  ROBBBBBBERRRY  500.00 YOUR KIDDIN
ACOC# 3514

Mac

You mean I got bent over & taken or that was a great deal? I found out it was $700 for a tow. I have full coverage & towing now.

So it's the 16.5 tires that are to find now or the 16's? I just took a look out there 7 I have 16.5's

The spare was bigger the guy told me so it must have been a 17" put on the rim.

If that's the case wouldn't it be better to go with 17's instead of stepping down to 16's.

I remember the roadside tire guy telling me that my tires - 16.5 were hard to find tires and expensive.

I remember breaking out the stock jack & watching the crank bend up like a toy as I tried to jack it up. When the snow started I panicked and I would have paid 2k to get a tire on & get up the hill to the camp grounds. I had no chains.