News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Tranny out!

Started by Anniepoo, August 03, 2011, 05:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anniepoo

Well, it's been a couple of expensive, frustrating weeks for Annie.

My Tranny started making scary noises. 
First look by mechanical type people was that it was U joints, so they got replaced (and my 78 got a tune up).
Nope, that didn't fix the clunk-LURCH ...  dead transmission.

Find a young man willing to remove tranny for $$$, and a shop we can take it to and have it rebuilt. Fortunately I'm a member of the Tech Shop, they were understanding about my fulltiming transmissionless lifestyle for a week. I've been there 'a lot' this week.

As I write this the tranny is back, and being put in.

Annie

Anniepoo

Tranny's back in.

Next step was to deal with a leak at the exhaust manifold and exhaust header.

Amazingly, a fellow who'se been helping me finished the job in under an hour.

Next worry - A tapping valve.
Similarly, he told me we could correct it with a treatment in the oil.

So I'm back up, and hopefully I'm more or less done.

John Eversoll

Hi Anny,

Sorry to hear about the trans.........

I have been there...  I ended up going to Pick a part and buying a trans from a dodge Van for 60.00

BHought the rebuild kit which is only 75.00 and then took to a small trans shop and they rebuilt it for 100.

If there is a way to do it cheeper I will find it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care with that lifter noise.... These Vans / Rv's are really good for 65 to 70 thousand miles...  due to what we tow and the heat in that compartment..

I had mine rebuilt and am very glad I did...  It only had 97,000 on her

but now with everything NEW!!!  That 440 is a screamer..

Check around for rebuilding prices...   Do NOt go to Pep Boys or places like that..

I got mine done in O.C . At Orange engine in Anaheim Calif.  $1,400

I pulled it and they picked it up and delivered it back to me when it was finished.

ANY WAY, check out the prices.  if you can pull it find a company to pick up and deliver...

take care, John

pop427

Lifter noise is really a exhaust leak many times. Cracked exhaust manifolds will leak when they are cold and stop leaking as they get hot and the cast iron closes the gap. When the motor is cold take the dog house off. Have a 3 foot or so piece of hose and start the motor. With one end of the hose next to your ear move the other end around to find the source of the noise.
Brand new exhaust manifolds are available for about $125. If it is the manifold gasket then you may have to surface the manifold.

If it is the lifter making the noise then first change the oil and filter. Don't use the cheap filter because they don't have a one way valve in them and it will let the oil flow back and it takes a few seconds to prime the system again and sometimes you will a lifter noise.

like I said, 9 out of 10 times it is an exhaust leak.

Doug.....   trying to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.