News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Hello

Started by Blew, June 08, 2011, 10:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blew

:) Hello Very happy that I found this site! I just bought a 1977 Clipper. And have been exploring with a long stay in the driveway trying to figure out everything.  The price was very good! Then again the good price means I need to fix a few things. It is very good on gas! So far I have had it Towed two times. Once on the way home when I bought it, We got  it started and headed off to the Gas Station. For some reason it is not getting any spark have replaced the Coil, The guy told me it just had a tune up. But I am very hopeful that it will one day start. But I am thrilled with it even sitting in the Driveway. It is neat I have found a place now to talk with some people that know about these RV's. I am Vancouver  WA.

LARRY RAY

Dodge or Chevy? Engine? these things help when trying to give a helping hand. Tune up on the dodge 440 consist of plugs and maybe wires. The not starting could be several things so tell us what is does and does not do. Spark, no spark?
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

prophetdaniel2

Welcome aboard!
     I had a problem early on where the thing wouldnt start, turned out to be a fuseable link near the firewall above the battery. Dodge platform with 440. keep us posted on your progress, and pics are always welcome!

Blew

This is a Dodge 440 I believe. And I found the problem with the starting. It was the Ignition Control Unit that cost me $16.00 replaced that and turned right over. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I must remember my password so I can get in and comment on things. Now moving on to the next problem and that is the brakes. When I bought it the bungee cord holding up the brake peddle was a sign something was not correct. I old but still notice things like that. So the next project is to make it stop, strange first I wanted it to go but now I want it to stop.... I am enjoying and drive it up and down the driveway. Have even driven it to gas station. It was then I noticed it doesn't want to stop. Anyway I find it to be a place to get away and really Love the Clipper even if lives forever in the driveway! Thanks everyone for the help!!!

LARRY RAY

Most likely, it's the brake booster. If the pedal seems very hard and doesn't go down fairly easy, I would suspect that will be the problem. Make sure you have good vacumn to it and that the one way valve attached is working properly. The pedal not returning most likely points to the booster as it has a very strong spring inside it. Hope this is a starting place. I would check that first. With that in mind, sometimes the inside of the front caliper hoses collapse, but when that occurs it will usually stop real well but not release. Good luck and keep us posted.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

Blew

I am going to check into the Brake Booster the fact that the Brake pedal is being held up by a Bungee Card seems to be a clue! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Anniepoo

Welcome to Clipperdom!

:)

Blew

It is a Dodge 440. The starting problem was the ECU which was replaced for around $16.00 now it starts and runs. Now working at the figuring out why brakes are real soft. Did find one side of the Master Cylinder that was empty dry no fluid. So I think there could be air in the line. So that is the next thing to work on.Thanks you for the suggestions. I am a Teacher and Broadcaster and not a mechanic. But am learning to fix this thing one problem at a time. Again Thanks You for the suggestions.

USNRetired

Hi Blew!  I have a 1977 American Clipper I bought just about a year ago.  First thing that happened was just like you, thing died on me on the Freeway about 40 miles north of me.  After spending enough to put a dent in the National Debt (well, it sure felt like it!), got it back to the mechanic I bought it from and it turned out to be both the ignition coil and ECU.  Fortunately, that has been it with engine problems.  My Mechanic had rebuilt the Transmission, previous owner never ever checked transmission oil, sigh.....  Engine is solid as a rock.  I've recently had them install a new speedometer Cable and reconnect and adjust the parking brake cables.  So now, I know when I'm speeding and can safely park it on a slope without putting a tree behind the tires (actually bought wedges designed for that purpose). 

Last week put it back in the shop for oil & filter change, check all systems, tires, etc...  spent a whopping $171 for the comfort of knowing it will take me on a long trip.  We plan on driving from my location (Oceanside, CA) to San Andreas, CA and back for the ACOC Fall Ralley (1000 mile round trip).  This will be our longest trip.

I've bought a new generator (4000W) that will power everything I have and maybe a couple more Clippers!  Portable 35 Gal Holding tank for dry camping, flat screen TV/DVD Player combo and a few other odds and ends that make life much more comfortable.

Welcome to the American Clipper World.  Keep in touch and check on this website for answers to your questions.  If it can happen, it's happened to someone here and you will usually find someone has said something about it!
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   Yes, the comforts of home.....Away from home

Hey if yopu ever make it up this way let me know!!!
John :)