News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Cleaning of PLASTIC gas tank

Started by John Eversoll, January 20, 2011, 02:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Eversoll

Horst, do you know of the proper way of cleaning out the crap from the plastic gas tank?????

I have heard a lot of different ways "including useing real gas and

a chain"  aaaaaa spark??        aaaaaa kabooooom.

Thanks, John

pop427

John, The proper way is to remove the tank and steam clean. If it is just "crap" and pulling the tank is too big a job then if you can get to the pick up then you can fabricate a big filter that will work well. If your gas gauge does not work or need adjustment now is the time to fix that also.

Doug Odom

Horst

Dropping the tank is the only way as far as I know - not that big of a deal - heck even I did it twice - and I'm a barely capable shade tree mechanic at best.
Then you have access to everything and can clean it out good.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

jon

Its really not too bad. Ive dropped several gas tanks out of vehicles. the clipper would be easy. Air up the air bags all the way and you have plenty room to crawl around under there. Put a floor jack under the tank take everything loose and lower the jack and pull it out. If you don't have a jack find a friend to help. I would not recommend you ask your wife unless she likes getting dirty.
Get some WD-40 or pb blaster and spray the crap out of the bolts that hold the straps a day or two before you start. It will come apart alot easier. I prefer pb blaster but it is some wicked shit. I sprayed some in a plastic cup to soak some rusty bolts once....it ate the cup. If you are not use to crawling around under vehicles WD-40 is safer. Good luck!

John Eversoll

Yes, I have droped the tank before ==But, Is thyere a Cleaner out there

That I can pour in or do I just use my power washer and spray the bugger to death......???
I have been told to use radiator cleaner on it but really wasn't sure... Thought
I would ask that question....

Thanks!!  JOHN :)

jon

Gas Tank
By Nathaniel Miller, eHow Contributor

Restoring automobile gas tanks is one of the first steps that needs to be taken when beginning the project of getting an older car back on the road. As gas sits in a car's tank it can become varnish and the interior of the tank can oxidize, creating a real mess inside. Before hooking up fuel lines or starting the car, you will need to clean out the tank.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* 2 bottles toilet bowl cleaner
    * Old nuts and bolts
    * Dish soap
    * Water
    * Hair dryer

Pour the two bottles of toilet bowl cleaner in the top of the gas tank (which has previously been removed from the car) and roll the tank around to thoroughly coat the inside of the tank with the cleaner.

Allow the tank to sit for approximately 24 hours and then pour the contents out. Fill the tank with water and a tablespoon of dish soap, then pour the nuts and washers in. Have a friend help you shake and roll the gas tank around for 5 to 10 minutes.

Pour the contents out and repeat Step 2 as many times as needed. The water should eventually have no more rust particles or brown tinge to it as it is poured from the tank.

Plug the hair dryer into a wall socket and then insert the tip into the top of the gas tank. Use the dryer to completely dry the inside of the tank in preparation for a new liner or for gasoline to be poured in.

Read more: How to Clean Out an Automobile Gas Tank | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5610073_clean-out-automobile-gas-tank.html#ixzz1BxGokide

John Eversoll

Hi Jon, Now is that for Plastic tanks or Galvanized tanks????

Thanks!!!  John :)

jon

I just looked it up on the internet It didnt say for plastic or metal. I dont know why it wont work for both.

John Eversoll

Hi there, I was just wondering if it would eat the metal or soften the plastic...

That is why I asked..  John :)

jon

No Its not that hard of acid. Otherwise my pvc drain pipes would be eaten away by now. I wouldn't want to get any in my eyes tho.

John Eversoll

Oky Doky----  I know what I am doing this Saturday!!!!

Wana come over for a BBq and watch.........

John  :)

cpcarroll

jon

Heck yea Id love to. Id even help pull the tank and bring the beer If you were a little closer.

John Eversoll

Hey Chuck!!!!!!

Glad to hear from ya. How ya doing??  I am moving up to Chiloquin

in March.  Will let ya know when to bring your rig and we can BBq

John