News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Potentially Dumb Question

Started by USNRetired, October 14, 2010, 11:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USNRetired

I have the 1977 Dodge 440 American Clipper and have been doing a google search for a Service/Maintenance Manual from Dodge for the engine and chassis.  Can ANYONE advise me on this?  Has anyone ordered this manual?  If so, from where?  I'm willing to spend good American Money for one.  ;-)  Really prefer a paper copy, but a DVD version is acceptable (I guess).
Jim & Marina in Beautiful Oceanside, California
ACOC #3714
1977 Rear Kitchen Party Model (821FC)

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, I have one....  You can borrow it to copy !!!  But -- I have to "Find it first"

John   :)

USNRetired

Hi John, I really appreciate that!  Thanks!  Let me know when you find it.  I did find a website and what I believe is the correct book.  Here is the info, let me know if I found the right thing.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1074899&parttype=10335&a=FRc1074899k314674-7513079
1977 DODGE B300 VAN 7.2L 440cid V8 4BBL (D) OHV : Literature : Repair Manual  Wiki Price
HAYNES Part # 30065  Dodge & Plymouth Vans '71-'03

$15.03
Add to Cart 
DETROIT IRON Part # 1977DodgeTruck  CD-ROM.1977 Dodge truck shop manual, 1978 supplement
CD-ROM.1977 Dodge truck shop manual, 1978 supplement

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
$24.79
Add to Cart 
BISHKO Part # 1060 
1977 Dodge Compact Van Factory Shop Manual, Bound, 908 pages

$49.79
Add to Cart 
BISHKO Part # 5165 
1977 CHRYSLER, DODGE, PLYMOUTH Body and Chassis Shop Manual

ACOC #3714

Horst

when I opened the link - it was fro the 318 - be sure you order the 440.
Haynes are  good manuals. Having a Chiltons is always handy too

this is a great deal for $5.00
http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/Dodge-Plymouth-1967-1982-Vans-Chiltons-Repair-Tune-Up-Guide.html

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

It's funny about that website.  I clicked on someone else's link for the smaller engine, scrolled down and opened up theinformation for the 440 engine and the link did not change.  I went back to check it, opened the home page at first and then went to the Dodge 1977 440 pages and looked at the links and they did not change.. remained the same for the home pages.  Not sure what's going on, must be something programmed into the website, because I tried this on two computers to make sure I didn't have an issue with my browser settings on this computer.  Same thing happened on both.  Anyhow, I ordered the Chilten you recommended and the Haynes as well.  I've noticed with other vehicles, in the past, if you get two motor manuals by two seperate publishers you get everything covered.  Chilton is an excellent manual, but they miss items and Haynes as well.  sigh....  Seems like they would get their act together.  ::) I hesitate to order the DVD version, it's difficult to fit that computer under the vehicle when you want to check something out!!  But I have a feeling they are pretty complete, as far as information and drawings go. 

Thanks for the Chilton Link!!  It's in the mail to me now.   8)
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim,  if you have a lap top , that will fit under the rig for sure!!!!!!

john

USNRetired

Yeah, I do, but it would make holding that left handed monkey wrench a problem!  :-)
ACOC #3714

retrorob

Don't bother with Haynes or Chilton's manuals. Get a Dodge factory manual. I got mine from EBay. Just type in 1977 dodge van manual. These things are written by the engineers who built your chassis. If anything, they have too much info in them. Real pictures not crappy drawings. Well worth the money!
Rob

Horst

Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

USNRetired

I see what you mean.  $54...  plus shipping.  My hard headed problem is that in the past I've successfully rebuilt engines and transmissions using Chilton and/or Haynes manuals with very little problem.  They seem to be written for the "backyard" mechanic using pictures and language that is easy to understand.  I just retired from working at the Naval Air Depot North Island and that place is chock full of engineers who seem to be genetically disposed to write instructions in a language foreign to the normal person.   ;D  However, I will seriously consider buying this book just because I like to cover all bases!  Thanks Horst & Retrorob!!
ACOC #3714

John Eversoll

Hi Jim, i couldn't help but read the post....  I have a guy that has been rebuilding motors

for almost 40 yrs...  He is very good and charged me $1,800 for a real" good rebuild!!!

He garenteeeeees his work... and will build you anything that you want. Anything from a

stock motor to a 1/4 mile to a nascar type motor ..  I am very pleased with his work

He is here local..  Orange Engine"  here in Anaheim...  Take care, John :)

USNRetired

John, that is very good information to have.  I have an excellent mechanic down here in Oceanside.  AND he's honest as the day is long.  Actually turned down work when my wife took her car in because it didn't need it and then fixed the problem free... it was one of those simple fixes and to a woman or man who knows nothing about internal combustion it's gotta be a serious problem.  He never ceases to impress me.  But it is always a good thing to have another source in your back pocket, just in case.

Hey!  Did you ever find your book?  Is it a mfr manual or chilton/haynes??

Jim
ACOC #3714

retrorob

There is a factory manual on Ebay right now for $19.99 plus 6.50 shipping. You could aways get the factory and a chiltons. What info one didnt have the other might.

Rob

John Eversoll

We must Understand One thing!!!!

The only Dumb question is the ONE YOU DON"T ASK"

USNRetired

ACOC #3714