News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

not done yet.

Started by prophetdaniel2, June 01, 2010, 09:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

well i didnt get bessie on the road in time for memorial weekend camping. new elec. fan came in late. got some new parts installed, just need some more angle iron and sheet metal for the radiator hangar and the fan cowl. clearance looks like just over an inch between the new fan and the water pump, better than before. whos idea was it to put the thermostat under the ac pump anyway? should geter done when i get home next. checked out a 72 dodge rectrans discoverer rv for a friend, neat rig, but engine maintenance would be next to imposible! it was set up to incinerate black water as  you drove. sail on.

maxcamper

Hi Daniel,

Sounds like you are about ready to roll!! Have you seen mine!! sitting on the lot engine-less all winter? I rebuilt my 440 last summer, but ran out of time to put it in.  I just got back to Alaska last week and I start work on putting it back in tomorrow. By the way, the 440 had to come in/out through the PASSENGER DOOR, this is fun..lol. I took out the a/c compressor and I'm thinking about adding the air intake duct work you guys have done.

I'm glad to see you still have your rig, maybe ill see you around the valley.

max(Bill)

John Eversoll

Hey Danny Boy, Long time no hear from...

I must say that the thermastat was NOT Dodges Best Idea!!!!  I threw out the compressor

Who needs air anyway....

But I can see where you are going with the more air issue!!!

JUst getting rid of the air conditioner cooler or what ever ya call itbrings in more air!!!

Take care Alaska!!!!!!  ///   John

prophetdaniel2

john, if it didnt have a belt on it i would get rid of my ac compressor as well.  bill, welcome back to the great land! i posted a pic of your clipper all torn apart, it just looked so sad. my rig will hopefully be on the road in a few weeks when i get home. keep us updated on your progress.

maxcamper

Well...some advice....and an update

1) Never take apart something and wait a year to put it back together!!!

That's it for advice.

Lots of collateral damage in the process.
Engine is in.
Replaced: master cylinder, right rear brake line, fuel filter, repaired BIG exhaust hole, new oil pump, new fuel pump, neutral switch on trans, some new trans lines, some new fuel lines.

I'm putting in the Transmission and drive line today.

I just have to figure out which fan belts fit now that I took out the A/C. Any part numbers out there for non-a/c?

Misc still to do:
oil filler tube, dipstick, hard fuel lines, plug wires, misc linkages, radiator and trans cooler, grill and hood...and find where all these left over bolts and things go..lol

...almost there.

max

John Eversoll

Hey there Max, I have a question for ya...

On my rig , which I am repulling the motor again ect ect.

where does your fuel line run???  does it run from the front of the motor

and back to the carb ..  I have the thermoquad 440 motor

reason I ask is the fuel line that I have scares the crap out of me it is so close to the

exhaust manifold"  I think that I will change it and route it to the front of the motor

away from the exhaust manifold.  I was going to yank that 440 this afternoon but

the Grand daughter came down for three days and I just can not tsay No to her.

I put things on the shelf... 
Now with the wireing was yours brittle to the point of breKING when touched..

I myself will be replacing the trans lines and as you stated I hope I can remember where things go when it comes time to put it all together..

Take care!!!   John

prophetdaniel2

Amen to not putting together what you took apart last year! I knew I wouldn't, and I finally got around to fabing up the new radiator hanger. IT IS SWEET!
     By the way ...did you know that you can rent wirefeed welders from home depot? :D

One small oversight, I neglected to include a convenient place to hang the trans cooler. but no biggie. Yes I will post good pics to show what Ive done, once its all finished. Today was definately a milestone in getting back on the road.
-D

prophetdaniel2

ITS ALIVE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ;D

Bessie lives to roll again! I am now going to roll with BOTH the original fan/clutch And an electric....Didn't know that I had the clearance till today.   :D

My kids are stoked...Should test drive tomorrow.....and possibly camp..... 8)

-D

John Eversoll

Great to hea about Bessy"

Mylow is coming together this friday

I did find out that the block was made in April 18th 1977

anyway, went over tody and wtched the guy bore the block out..

How neet it was to watch, he went thirty over, and is installing a healthy cam

I will beable to pass smog but I will also have the torque to pull anything that needs

towing.  I have replaced some of the wireing and I might call it quits where I am at.

I just want to get the otor and trans back in on Saturday. I ordered some springs for the front and thought that jERRY OR hORST TOLD ME ABOUT THE ONES i SHOULD GET
so I will have to call and cancell the order.
I could go on but risking the chance of boreing you huys I will shut up!!!!
Take care PD2, John  :{ )

Horst

Stengel Brothers - call them - talk to them
http://www.stengelbros.com/
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

John Eversoll

Thank you Horst!!!!!   That I will do.

Thnks again!!!!!    :{ )   John

maxcamper

Hi Dainel, glad you got her up and running!!

Daniel: Just an FYI, let me know if you need a MIG or Plasma next time, I could help you out. The transmission guys here gave me a kit that just pushes zip tie like things right through the trans cooler and radiator to mount it. I put a couple of quick disconnects on the hoses, worked out good for me. If you get time, come on by the shop with Bessie some afternoon so I can check out the modifications....and maybe spy your vacuum hose connections..

John: The fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb did seem close (3-4 inches) to the headers, but its a hard line and should be ok, plus I dont want to fabricate any more hard lines after doing all brake and transmission cooler lines..lol

I have almost everything hooked back up, I have a few vacuum hoses to find where they go but!! when I pressure tested the cooling system I keep getting leaks at the thermostat housing..it's being very difficult. Other than that I should be able to try and start it tomorrow and set the timing and leak check. I hope!

max

prophetdaniel2

Sucess! ....after a bit of frustration anyway ;)

Went on a serious drive today, nearly 100miles. Rv ran cool as a cucumber! mechanical fan only. Electric fan is a waste of time. Only turns on after the engine is off. This is in part due to the new lower temp that the engine is running at, (new 160 deg low temp thermostat) and extensive aeration of the front end. feet dont even get warm. Now the trouble was NO engine power. Manual shifts only. Slow hills. engine dogged down with serious throttle.....Hmmmmm..... pulled the doghouse, a plug wire had come off :o but a 440 will run fine with only 7 cylinders firing apparently.... the real culpret? the air cleaner snorkel! I used a metalic tube ( like dryer vent) but turns out it was part plastic and sucked up into the air cleaner     DOH! ::)

Runs like the racecar it was born to be now....Big trip to Tok tomorrow! 8)
-D

prophetdaniel2

Just missed ya Bill, You wont learn anything vaccum related from my rig, Shees been gutted of climate control goodies( want some spare parts?) Ill try to stop by tomorrow if I get a chance
Rock on!

John Eversoll

Hey there guys, Anyone want an air compressor???

It works but I would rather do with out and get rid of the

stuff that I don't use anyway..  I now have room for snorkels

to bring in more fresh air..  Well we should be back on the road when I get my next SSI check... LoL  --- John