News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Radiator cowl for engine fan

Started by prophetdaniel2, April 30, 2010, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prophetdaniel2

So how important do you think the cowl is for the radiator/engine fan? Keep in mind that this is in Alaska, during the summer, so 80-100 degrees ambient temps are the norm, and the Rv is almost always on the move if the engine is running.

John Eversoll

Hi Dan, what is the design for the cowel????
Are you just thinking about cutting Louvers in the hood for mor air flow???
That would be a great idea!!!!
The guy  that owned the rig before me used the windshield wsher container and ran a water line infront at the top of the radiator
so when it hot he would just push the washer button and the radiator would get cooler..  Still works too..  or at least when It was running////  John

prophetdaniel2

You know the plastic cowl that goes between the radiator and the engine fan? I wanna not reinstall it if at all possible since I am redesigning the radiator mounting system. that cowl seems to needlessly complicate things (amongst other lame and useless parts) I doubt that it does much. I do want to install hood louvers in the future, but my current plan is simpler..... 8)

John Eversoll

Gotchya!!!!!

I my self am still thinking about Electric fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Hank Jourdin

Hello Dan-2,       The radiator shroud is very important it is what helps draw air through the radiator. The deeper the fan is in the shroud the better it will draw air, without the shroud air draft has no direction and just blows air side ways, up, and down but does not pull air through the radiator very well. The ideal setup is to have the fan aprox. 1 inch from the radiator with a fan shroud completly around the fan as close to the same diameter as the fan with about 1/2 inch clearence all the way around with the shroud  3-4 inches deep, that will draw very nicely. The thing your trying to do is pull air over the radiator core fins thats what does the cooling,the more air you can pull the better it will cool!  Hank Out ::)

John Eversoll

Ahhh  grasshopper--- Wise mans words of wisdom

"air not Blow enough"

prophetdaniel2

Thanks Hank.... ;) I was afraid of that! Not a big deal. In fact Ill probably do better than the setup I got her with in the end.....BUT maybe John is right about the electric fans...Hmmmmm....

Hank Jourdin

Hey Dan-2,    Fans would not be a bad idea, but how and where are you going to mount them, I have had the same thought on the fan, but I have taken some measurements and there is only about 2-1/2" to 3" between the grill and Radiator.  I have tried to find the thinest fan motor and fan setup and have not been able to find one thin enough to fit. Inless you mount it in front of the grill, I don't know how to get it to operate anywhere else. If you find one that fits give me a shout!   Hank Out!

prophetdaniel2

Seems like all the electric fans that ive seen have been mounted on the inside... ??? If one were to remove the fan/clutch, then make a rigid frame for the existing fan cowl and mount the new electric motor to it, it seems like there should be enough room in my 440. but on the other hand I already have the new fan clutch...

Phase one: mock up of new front end configuration (radiator placement quick removal system) has gone fairly well today. No major obstacles so far. But I now want to update the radiator overflow tank.... need something more rectangular....or different....or something. 8)

John Eversoll

Hey Dan--- want to help me remove the 440..

LOL

John :)

Hank Jourdin

Hey Dan-2    I picked up a standard overflow kit at Pep Boys and mounted it just between the battery and the radiator. Got rid of the stock tank now lets more air through. One thing I did ,was in the front on each side of the radiator there are solid sheet metal panels. I cut the panels  leaving a frame work about 1-1/2" around so the thing is open and lets air through. Bolted thr frames back in cause thats what hold the radiator in place. Then I made open and closeable air ducts out of tubing and pointed the ducts at each side of the exhaust headers. Mounted the ducts where I cut out the sheet metal on the panels. It moves alot of air in the dog house and keeps it nice and cool.  But like you siad you already got a fan clutch. I thought about cutting 2 round holes in the grill and mounting the fan motors so the motor sticks out of the grill with the fan blades between the grill and radiator useing 2 14" fans, but the I thought that might look kind of mouse house. Keep looking for a thin fan setup, you only want it for a backup cooling aid anyway.  Hank Out!

prophetdaniel2

right on hank, thanks for the overflow geads up, i will deffinately look up pepboys on that on. will it be easy to find? no pep boys locally. i ditched those plates yesterday, gonna fab up for the rad with angle iron. ditched the hood latch crossmember and vert member too. so far its looking great. gonna be all wing nuts when im done so that by the time the rad is drained u can pull everything out in seconds. the trickiest part is that cowel... i dig that airflow ducting. my wife convinced me to remove the blower motor/ heater core/ac core housing so no climate control from now on. never used it anyway. john, i would sooo help u if i could. got any mileage tickets built up? could use a vacation... back to work for me tomorrw, two weeks till im back at the clipper again. still waiting on a new rad anyway.

John Eversoll

Hey Danny boy"

No more air miles... LOL..

I am going to do it again with the daughters help.

I thought about taking the rig to a guy and let him do it...

but $1,000 dollars is alot of money just to pull and put back in.

I can use that money in the rebuilding of the rebuild..

Sorry to hear you have to get back to work....You need more time off.

Get that rig running and spend some quality time with the family on the road

Takie care and have a great time at work...

John

LARRY RAY

You might try what I did to beat the Texas Heat in mid summer pulling a 26ft pontoon boat. I tied onto the pressure drain line under the home, ran a 1/2 inch water hose to the bottom of the radiator, used the end nozzel from underground yard sprinkler system, directed the pattern upward just in front of rad but behind the front tag to help break the wind off it. Now, just before leaving down the highway, I clip a wire to positive side of pump and with a switch in line and all other faucets turned off when the temp goes up I turn on the water and wallaaaa cool running again.  Must be a redneck thing huh?
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

John Eversoll

HI Larry Ray,  I must be a red neck too!!

I used the windshield washer  and a very very very small

piece of copper tubing with small holes drilled in it.

GET ER DONE  """

John