News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

No Tail Lights

Started by xlt4, May 04, 2009, 09:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlt4

I recently acquired a 1997 Clipper on a Dodge Chassis with the 440 engine.  Turn signals and brake lights work but the tail lights or outside coach lights do not.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows where to start looking for the problem.

What type of chassis is this considered when looking up parts?  Would it be considered a van or truck?

thanks in advance

Roger

mccammonds

I have a 1975 Clipper and the chassis is a Dodge B300 Van.
Not sure of about a wiring diagram.
The wiring might be different when it starts into the Motor Home itself.
I know the interior 12V  lights in the rear of the rig is on a fuse near the converter. 
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

xlt4

Thank you, I found the problem....bad relay located under drivers side dash

buckeyefan

I have the same problem with my tail light relay on my 78 Dodge. The problem is that this relay is not is in stock anymore with Dodge Dealers.. Where did you find a replacement and the part number. Any help would be appreciated.

John Eversoll

There is a company out here in Ca "called Orvacs"

I beleive they have a web site!!!  You could try that ..  I know they have helped me with   several auto  electrical issues...

Or if you have a local electrical  repair shop you could try that as well....    John  :)

buckeyefan

I got on their website. They only had three auto related items and none of them was a relay. Thanks for the suggestion though. I am still looking. I have about given up on trying to find a new relay. I am trying to find a used one in a salvage yard or where ever.

John Eversoll

lET ME DO SOME ASKING AND SEE WHATY i CAN COME UP WITH...
sorry about the caps....

I have a so called friend that deals with auto electrical and I will pass the question on to him...

John   :)

buckeyefan

I found a relay in a Ram 250 van in a salvage yard that worked. John I appreciate your effort in trying to help me. I am now ready to take my Clipper on the road for the first time.

John Eversoll

That sounds great, you should let the "parts that work know about that relay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, I just might go to the wrecking yard this weekend and grab a few for prosperity!!!

John :)

mccammonds

Quite a while ago I lost my tail/clearance lights.   I finally took a wire that was hot when the ignition switch was on and through an on/off switch  ran it to the wire to my tail lights.    Works real good.  Now I'll try and find that relay and do it right.
SOLD MY 1975     821F      360cc  ACOC #3645
FULL TIME IN A 21FT WAS NOT CONDUCIVE TO A HAPPY MARRIAGE.  NOW HAVE A 34 FT BOUNDER
U.S. ARMY RETIRED

Hank Jourdin

Hello Buckeyefan,  I have been reading all the posts as to the no tail lights. I cannot remember any relay for the headlight switch that controls the tail lights.In less you are refering to the 20 amp breaker coming off the ampmeter.I just don't see any relay showen in the electrical print. I wound check the bulkhead connections where all the connections come through the fire wall they get corroded and loose contact resulting in loss of power to various circuts. The tail lights feed through this bulk head. As far as the 20 amp breaker which runs from the headlight switch ,you can replace that with a  inline plugin 20 amp fuse.  Good luck! Hank out

buckeyefan

That is what had me puzzled that the relay was not on the B300 wiring diagram. This relay is listed on the D400-800 Dodge trucks wiring diagram. It is called a presence relay according to a 1977 Dodge dealer service manual that I have. This relay has a yellow wire from the 20 amp breaker that is hot and a brown wire from the light switch that is hot and a brown wire with a white tracer that is hot going out to the tail lights, clearence and license plate light. I will post the part number of this three prong relay that is different in appearence as far as this one I found does not bolt to the body above the steering column like the original but only secures itself from being plugged in to the pigtail.

JerryT

My relay wiring has came off a couple of times. Last time I crimped the plug end for a tight fit and have had no more problems.

JerryT