News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Would like advice

Started by rowdiebryan, February 27, 2008, 07:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowdiebryan

Hello everyone.  I have a question.  I researched class C RV's a little bit before I choose to search for an american clipper.  I found one, am in the process of buying it. I was told it was a 1979, turned out to be a 1977.  Other than that it is as they said it was goign to be.  Everything works, AC, genny, Fridge, and it is indeed a 440.  Asking price is 2000.00  Its about what I wanted, although I am in search of a radiator.  Body is straight, and in good shape, I mean, it does need some work, but this seems like a good deal.  Any one have any thoughts for me?  I am going to be looking for a roof ladder and some other odds and ends.

Thanks everyone for any thoughts.  I have pictures I can post.

REgards,

Bryan

rowdiebryan

Okay, I did it, I bought it.  Thanks everyone for the advice and input.. lol  now, where can I get an awning, and a roof ladder for it?

JerryT

Hi Bryan
Sorry I missed your post earlier :( I bought my Shademaker awnings from <RVWORKSHOP.COM> I found that a 13' awning will JUST fit. The cost is 597.00 to your door. Good quality, fits the coach well, easy to install. It seemed the right thing for an older coach as I found some that cost more than the coach is worth :'( I also bought two little ones for the other two windows and glad I did! An extra $250 I think. My coach was also missing the ladder, and the luggage rack too, so it gave me the back window awning option. I decided that even though I liked the looks of the ladder I would get more function from the awning. I just used the escape hatch the few times I needed roof access. Another upshot was I got to fill more holes (water leaks) ;D I also picked up a sunscreen and end panel from <arizonarvparts.com> The end panel stores inside and the main screen I just roll up with the awning, self storing.
I hope you enjoy your Clipper!
JerryT

JerryT

rowdiebryan

Jerry, Thank you for the info.  My little clipper needs the awning badly, but I have other thigns to do first.  I had a fuel leak, thats fixed.  I also have an oil leak and water leak.  Hope to have her on the road this week.  Once those were done I need to give her a tune up.  I have not used a timing light in MANY years.  I wonder if this would be easy to convert to HEI?  anyhow, thanks again, I am goign to start an online album, will keep you posted.

Bryan

Dallas texas

JerryT

Hi Bryan
High Energy Ignition (HEI) has it's applications  but I don't think our old Clippers would get the same bang for the buck that a performance/race car would. Our Clippers have low compression, low rpm, de-tuned truck motors in them, keep in mind that a stock coil makes plenty of zap, spend your money on good plugs and wires and you will stay in the safe zone. A HOT/Performance tune-up may be ok in cool weather but pull up a long grade on a hot day with too much timing advance, can/will cause detination and over heating and thus motor rebuilds >:(  The factory de-tunes for just such reasons, they know that dependabilty is what's important, not speed and ultra economy. I have timed my mopars the same way for many years, advance till I hear spark knock and then retard till I don't, engine hot on a hot day going up a hard grade with full throttle. By the way, these Dodge vans are a PITA to time with a light, good luck.
JerryT