News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Big hole in roof over bunk!

Started by JerryT, December 10, 2007, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

And a few more

JerryT

I was able to use the roof cut out for my new door skin, Sometines you just get lucky!  Last pic is of the scrap, not much maybe 1/2"

JerryT

We had to de-laminate the roof fiberglass from the wood backing, also the roof was thicker than the old door by 50% Pic 4 is the wood backing, some kind of end cut glued up deal, I have never seen this used in anything before.

JerryT

Next a new skin for the inside. I had some wood grain vinyl covered almond colored soffit material left over from a house project so the price was right ;D and now with the door open the color matches the outside color of the coach and it is behind the screen when the door is closed so win/win/win.

JerryT

Here we get to test fit it with the reversed swing. this door project has been a bigger job than installing the nose cone(dome).

JerryT

Now we get to play with the door operer/closer, it works great! No more whimpy door grip/bungee cord PITA deal. It keeps the door open and also keeps the door closed :D

JerryT

I saved the crate the nose cone came in and we used it alot. It made a good work platform, it was perfect while I was "weighting" for the glue to dry ;), I wonder if I could ? NO I better not, well I'll just think about it :-\

JerryT

More crate ideas

JerryT

My sister and her hubby are semi truck drivers so here is a pic of my Christmas present, I don't know if I want to use them or not? Also working on a motorhome is nice because you have a kitchen for snacks, well one day the fridge started to loose its cool and kept getting worse, it is the orig so I thought it may be time for a new one. I kept turning up the stat but still no cool-- then I figured it out, pic 2&3
Thats all for now.
JerryT

jon

I just might try your nose cone idea. As far as the escape hatch goes, I would never fit through that little hole anyway.   

JerryT

Jon
I think it's a good trade, a little hole for a big bunk! It's so nice to sit up straight, the bunk feels like a new room, one that you want to spend time in. As a bonus, I ended up with a 12" shelf across the back (old roof) between the 4' ceiling joint and the rear of the nose cone just above the two bunk lights, see pics. If you really do put one on I will give you all the help I can. I just want to say again, this install was eaiser than I thought or even hoped!
JerryT 

JerryT

Hi All!
I now have the dome glued down and the top of the Clipper painted ;D Here are some pics of the progress. I used 3M 5200 and gasketed hex head polebarn screws to hold it on and sealed it inside and out.
JerryT

JerryT

And some more
Jerryt

JerryT

Here are some progress shots of the painting in various stages.
JerryT

JerryT

I was going to paint the Clipper a new color that Chrysler has out called (Cool Vanilla) but when I matched it to the motorhome I found out that it is the same color as our old rigs, yep thats right Chrysler recycled an old color (eggshell) and gave it a new name Cool Vanilla!
JerryT