News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Big hole in roof over bunk!

Started by JerryT, December 10, 2007, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

Hi All
I haven't posted in a while but I have been planning my winter Clipper improvement's. I am hopeful that I will get it all done including a paint job but it is a big list. I am going to try and post with pics at least once a week things that I am doing and things all ready done. One thing I am doing is cutting a 5'X6' hole in the roof over the bunk to allow for more head room. I have bought a Nose Cone to cover the hole. A Nose Cone is a fiberglass air deflector that is used on the front of semi trailers, it kinda looks like a big pillow. It is aerodynamic in shape (If it matters :)) and will add about 6" to the height over the a/c unit. It adds about 14" to the bunk in the center so you can sit up straight. Here is a few pics of the work so far I will post more later.
JerryT

JerryT

more pics

Shayne

Wow, now that's bravery right there :D  Cutting a hole that big in the roof takes some guts. ;)

Good luck with your project!
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

JerryT

Thanks Shayne!
Guts or stupidity :D either way this is going to be a nice improvement, I know I will use the bunk a lot more, just being able to sit up adds so much. The upshot, it's going to be one of the easier major things I have done to the Clipper so far. I wasn't sure of what it would entail before I cut the hole, but it is getting easy. I think I will have 5 work hours max installing the nose cone on the top. I am guessing it will take longer to glue the insulation and headliner in place and the headliner material will self trim the job, it's really going to be slick. This thing's hard to photograph on the inside but here are a few.
JerryT

JerryT

Hi All!
Work is going well on getting Fillmore ready to paint. Lots of little repairs and tucking up as I like to call it. One change I decided to make was to the left overhead bunk window. The Clipper uses all right side window cranks but I felt that the left bunk window should be a left side crank so I could reach it from a standing position instead of crawling into the bunk. I noticed that you could buy the gear box for left or right side, and upon inspecting the window I found thar all parts could be switched from side to side and the screen fliped over (spline out). So for 30 minutes work and four pop rivets I reversed the operator from right to left. I took a few pics to share. Note, I chose to open my gear box and flip over the drive collar instead of buying a new one.
JerryT

JerryT

Here's more pics of the switch. I found a company called Pelland Ent. !-800-216-2786 and/or <pellandent.com> I called them and was told they have all parts for our Hehr windows and they do show some parts on their web site. I want to replace the rubber seals but may wait post paint job (summer) to tear into it.
JerryT

Horst

Jerry,
This is simply an awesome mod.
But - no more escape hatch out the top I suppose?
Still - very cool - wish I had a shop like yours!
I'm sitting here in my Clipper typing this note - wireless access
to our house - with wife and kids sleeping in the Clipper!
We "camped" in the front yard - the family misses going on trips
so this is how we compensate - still having fun - it puts us all in close quarters.

You are inspiring me to make one more additional mod that I have been
putting off for years - creating a bunkbed above our couch (behind the passengers seat)
I have seen it done once - someone took
the backrest of the couch and had it swivel up and then attach to the ceiling - pretty slick
- and - he didn't have to remove the cabinets - but both sleeping berths were tight.
I was going to remove the cabinets to create a comfy sleeping bunk that will fit an adult.
But, I had some engineering obstacles  - so I sort of gave up on the idea.
But seeing you cut the top off your Clipper!!!! has given me a new psych!!
thanks
Horst
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

JerryT

Thanks Horst!
Time, money and a place to do it is all a guy needs. It's winter up here so I got the time, money, well you know you find it when it's something you really want to do, and a place to do it, well it's my buddys shop and he's giving me a big gift in letting me work there, but we do trade favors back and forth but I now owe him big time :) Yes the escape hatch is gone. I thought about re-installing it but I don't think I could have climbed out of it being chest high instead of butt high. I think I will go with a nice roof fan instead. My coach had the rear ladder removed years ago which allows me a rear window awning, so for roof access I am going to carry a folding ladder across the back in a 6" mat tube I have planned. We have camped many a night at the ROXNJER campground at home base, complete with wifi internet access, semi full hookup's and honey do views :) I like your bunk idea but I could not give up my overhead cabinets. How about a pup tent and a short straw? I have put door/drawer slides under my couch bottom so it will slide out a few more inches so you can relax/sleep on it and then slide it back in when your done. I could only get about 1 1/2 cheeks and one elbow on mine in stock form. Now it even slides in further as to allow the fridge door to open all the way, more isle room too. It can still be used as a dbl. bed also. I will try and post some pics of the mod. soon. We are preping for paint right now, here are some pics.
JerryT

JerryT

Hi All
I've thought about reversing the swing on the back door so as to enjoy the awning/patio area more. This summer (07) we were invited to camp at the Coachman 40th anv. campfest in Centerville Michigan They had installed on the top of their doors  a lift type strut rod that either kept the door open or closed. I knew that was the key to my door change as I didn't want the door to pop open going down the road and I liked the idea of the door staying open without a bungee cord, lame grip fastner or whatever. So I am going to flip the door over and do what it takes to make this all work, should be eaiser than my roof project :) Here are a few pics of the Coachman doors and of mine.
P.S. this is how they lit the charcoal for the free burgers.
JerryT

JerryT

Here are more door pics, I hope this makes you smile!
JerryT

JerryT

Hi all
I knew the bottom of my door was a bit soft and knew it would need repair when I reversed the swing so today I opened her up for a look see. Here are some pics.
JerryT

JerryT

more pics

JerryT

Still more pics!

JerryT

and a few more

JerryT

Hi All
Works going well on Fillmore, we are about at the paint it stage, we have the door jams and inside doors painted as well as under the hood and many misc parts. I have some more pics to post as well as some advise, NEVER SAND BLAST with your new camera in your top pocket >:( makes funny crunchy noise and quits working, but I did get the pics down loaded first. We sent it in for repair but still not back. Here are some progress shots starting with rebuilding the door. NEXT PICS ON PAGE 2 sorry this is getting long.
JerryT