News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Your first Clipper

Started by Mac, September 02, 2007, 09:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Tell us your story of when and how you got your first/current American Clipper!  Tell us who you are, where you live, how often you get to use your Clipper, etc!  Remember...pictures are worth a thousand words!

clockwork

http://clockworkoranjaboom.blogspot.com/

Hello Mac;
My 1st Life name is Dave and I live in NE Ga.- mountains to me,  likely just hills to you.
I blogged about my experience with the Clip above ( because the web seemed to need another self absorbed blogger at the time!). Threw up a couple of pics there as well. I don't get to take many trips- my last was earlier this summer to Hilton Head to hook up w/friends. That  trip across a very hot I16 in GA. convinced me that Jerry T's doghouse air induction mod is needed!  I use the Clip as a refuge when I need some quiet time, a cold beer or a tinkering project. I 'camp' in her when company visits and have a nice little laptop-based home entertainment system that I allow my nephews to hang out and enjoy when they visit ( if they're good!).  It's also my 'emergency preparedness' plan for power outages or any other kind of disaster that may require evac, or travel to friends/relatives in FL after they have a hurricane that cuts utilities. Not to knock FEMA ( ok- yes I'm knocking 'em), but the Katrina response was pretty scary.  Her road manners are pretty good, although her thirst is mighty over 50 mph and she uses about a quart of oil/300 miles. I respect the thought behind her design, and the quality of her build. Haven't seen another here on the east coast.
dave   

Mac

After many years of tent camping, my wife and I decided it was time to step up to an RV.  We wanted an older one that would need a little TLC and a little mechanical work since they are usually offered at reduced prices and the problems, in some cases, aren't nearly as bad as the symptoms would lead one to believe.  so, there I was, browsing Craig's list here in Medford and ran accross this ad;

Quote from: Craig's List1977 american clipper - $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-000000000@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-08-29, 5:58PM PDT

1977 american clipper, class c- 21 ft. 440 hp, v8, motor runs great, has transmission trouble. as is-

I had never heard of an American Clipper before so I did a little investigating and came accross this site.  In my past I have found that if there's a support system for anything then there's some value to be had in just that!  I looked over the site and found deep devotion to the Clipper and figured that I could at least get some good advice from those who know what I'm talking about versus just being in a similar situation. After all that, I figured for $500 it was at least worth a look.  

We set a time and went on over to see it with the mindset that we were going to look at a $500 RV.  You know...keep your expectations to a minimum and you won't be disappointed?  As we pull into the drive, the first thing I noticed was a lack of holes and dents.  A good start.  As we walked around and spoke to the owner getting what info we could (he only had it a year) we determined that the transmission may have a band adjustment issue but neither of us really knew.

We hooked up shore power (see?  picking up the lingo already! ;)) and verified that everything worked (lights, fans, pumps).  We operated the stove, the water heater and the fridge and everything was in working order.  The interior is pretty much the same as it was in 1977 except for a few tears and new carpet and some paint that shouldn't be there.  All-in-all everything was there and seemed to be ok or at least fixable and definitely worth the price since the 440 started right u without even a hint of smoke (though it wasn't a cold start).  Lights, brakes, steering all good and the best part was nearly $1K worth of new rubber on the ground!

My wife, who's the observant one, looked around and saw boats, motorcycles, 4-runners, a hot rod, etc and figured they needed to scale back on the toys!  She offered $400 and they took it!  Shoulda said $300!  Oh well, we still got a great deal!

I drove the beast home and got a good feel for how it handled and it ran strong!  The transmission never slipped, but it did squeel at me so I know that it's either the bands or the clutch pack, though it pulled strong through the gears (fluid is good).  We'll take it to a transmission shop and let them tell us what it needs.

We will make some repairs, clean her up and possibly take the Cleveland Browns colors off of her in favor of Seattle Seahawks colors (still debating that with the Mrs.  I'd rather have Jacksonville Jaguars colors, but hey...) and we'll document the process here for you.  For now, here are pics of our new Clipper (still working on a name other than Big Ole Rolling Turd).

Mac and Chey

Our new Clipper

Just as pretty going away...

Interior needs help, but we're willing and able!

Mac

Quote from: clockwork on September 02, 2007, 01:47:19 PM

Hello Mac;
My 1st Life name is Dave and I live in NE Ga.- mountains to me,  likely just hills to you.     

I lived in Pensacola, Florida for nearly twenty years!  We took many trips to Dahlonega and up to Unicoi SP in Helen.  We also lived in Huntsville, Alabama spending a lot of time at Cheaha SP (wonderful place...I think I'll add some pics on the favorite park thread!), so, I understand what you mean by mountains to you! 

Since we also ride motorcycles we have taken the tents to other places like Cherokee and ride over to Deals Gap and Brasstown Bald.  As for FEMA...we had our fill with Ivan and left the south for the midwest (another story)!

Mac

JerryT

Mac
I've never had a Dodge trans squeel, but these Clippers do have a power steering belt squeel problem on acceleration, either way you stole this rig for $400. Check out that noise a little closer and let us know.
JerryT

Mac

Well, after some digging I discovered that it is in fact the tranny making all that noise, and, according to Dusty at Dusty's transmissions we're looking at a $1,800 repair bill since it will have to be rebuilt.  We're exploring other options like a reconditioned junkyard beauty... :-\

JerryT

Mac
Get more estimates, that's a high price for a simple trans, did he say what was wrong with it? They R&R very easy 1hr max, lots of parts around since they are the same trans as in the 70's muscle cars. Some shops bid truck and motorhome jobs FAT becuase of the extra work involved i.e. goes on the bigger hoist in the bay with the tall door, more parts may be broke inside and the guarantee on a heavy/abused vehicle. My view on it, it's just an old Dodge van with an easy to work on simple trans that does not give anyone in the repair world fits. If you know any Mopar guys ask who their local repair guru is and go talk to him. My high school buddy Jim has been doing trans work for 29 years and I know the inside story on trans rebuilding, at least in my area.
JerryT

Mac

Absolutely good advice!  I have already started looking and found that even AutoZone has transmissions for around $600 and I know how simple they can be (just heavy and that's why we rent the trans jack) so I am going to check around.  Where we are there are almost as many RV repair shops as churches so I'm bound to find one somewhere!

Thanks again Jerry!

Mac 8)

yosemitesamiam

Yeah seriously.  That amount of $$ will buy you a VERY built 727 Auto...made to withstand 7 and 8 second street rods.

Heck...check this out!  http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/413940640.html  I mean...talk about cheap!

OH!  And while you are at it...check out these guys!  Good quality stuff!  I would plan on this along with EFI for my own rig (when I find "the one" for me!)

http://www.gearvendors.com/mh3speed.html