News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Removing ceiling to repair vent frame

Started by JeffM, May 30, 2009, 09:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffM

I had a rain water leak this winter around the ceiling vent above the stove in my 76 rear bath/kitchen. How difficult is it to remove the ceiling in that area to repair the wood frame around the vent?
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

clockwork

Hello Jeff;
It's not really difficult, just time consuming and messy. I used a utility knife to heavily score the perimeter of the affected area and then went to work with a flat bar and hammer. After you remove the ceiling it is an easy task to add additional blocking/support to the Clippper's frame. You will probably find that someone went wild with a staple gun around the vent and it easiest to break them off with the flatbar/hammer. Cover everything with old sheets and just toss 'em when you are done!
Good Luck,
Dave

John Eversoll

Hey Clock work, I guess it would be the same thing to repqair the emerg exit hatch???
It had leaked severlyand I have black mold coming all around the hatch.  the ceiling has pulled away and I was thinking of just replacing the whole thing along with the wall panneling.  Have you heard of Desert packing and if so do you think that would be a good insulation??? We have camped in the snow  a couple of times and it gets really cold.
Thanks , John

clockwork

Hi John;
Never heard of desert packing, but there isn't a lot of space <> ceiling and roof. Here is a link to some pics of my ceiling repairs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/amantiado/AmericanClipper#

The hatch area was the easiest b/c it is straightforward to completely remove and replace the old paneling over the bunk.
Good Luck!

dave

John Eversoll

Great, thanks and I will let you know how the reeeeee doo is doin..

Thanks again, John