News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Alternator wires

Started by JeffM, July 16, 2007, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffM

I am re-joining the club after a period of absence due to illness. I do not have new information about the tech forum. I have a 76 21' 440 V8 Clipper.  Does the green field wire connect to the alternator next to the battery terminal or is that the place for the red field wire? Thanks. 
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

JerryT

Jeff
You can connect them either way. It is a very simple design. The voltage regulator grounds one and feeds the other one 12v.
If your regulator was to fail, you can jump one field to the + stud on back and ground the other to the case to get you home, this causes the alt to max charge so it is best to run lights, heater motor, ect. to use up the extra power. It is also a good way to check to see if it is working, you will hear it pull the idle down, also the brushes that connect to the red/green field wires are easy to change. I have seen many alternators replaiced that just needed brushes, they will charge on and off as the brush has trouble making contact due to being worn down. The more power you use the faster the brushes will wear. We use to get about 100k on a set in a car but I would bet a motorhome could wear out a set in 50k. I always change mine and keep the old ones as a spare. These alternators are pretty tough, if they get loud then the bearings are going bad and just switch it out.
Hope this long anwser to a short question helps:)
JerryT

JeffM

Thanks so much for the information. There is a third red wire in the harness with the altenator wires that is red with a small round push-on connector. Do you know where that that goes? It doesn't seem to be part of the alternator connections.
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

JerryT

Jeff
Is it a 90 deg. connector? If so I think it may be the temp guage. That's the only push on wire on the front of Dodge engine I can think of, do you have the 440 or 360?
JerryT

JeffM

Yes, its a small round 90 degree wire. It's not very long about the same length as the two field wires. Is the temp sensor in that area near the alternator?
Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

JeffM

Jeff Milligan
ACCOC #3632
milligan50@msn.com

JerryT

Jeff
The sensor is over about 4" from the alt. I looked at mine and it is next to the heater hose pointing forward, it looks like a small stud with threads.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Yea, I know this an old post, but I give it a try...

On my rig it over charges quite a bit, I run lights ect ect ect.

I can not find the problem.... I have changed the altinator and still have the prob....

Got the answer????

John.