News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Clutch fan upgrade

Started by JerryT, February 14, 2007, 01:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryT

Hi all!
I have had quite a few old Dodge trucks (60's 70's 80's) over the years, and one thing I liked was that Dodge had good parts interchangeability. It allowed me to pick from a 30 year window, the best parts for the repair or improvement that I was doing. I have even bought heavy duty parts from the Dodge racing catalogue (Mopar Performance) Last year I changed out the thermostat in my 440 with the correct one I bought from A.C.O.C. (yep, it had the wrong/small/car one) Upgraded to a three core radiator, and put in a heavy duty clutch fan. The clutch was a little bit bigger than the stock unit, but it just fit! Hayden is the mfg. and the # is 2797, I got mine at Auto Zone under the Torqflo brand #922797. Dodge used these on the 1986 D350's and W350's with the 360 4bbl engine. Mine works great, it comes on early (when needed) to keep the engine cooler. Between the 160 stat, the 3core and the new Cfan, I always run at the low/cool end of the gauge, even in summer driving at any speed (the wife likes to drive it at 75)
Jerry T and Rox

cpcarroll

JerryT

Hi Chuck!
I am around, just trying to slog thru the holidays, how about you?  I am working on a bolt on cruise control upgrade and doing research on what it takes to watch digital TV in a motorhome. I would like to have a bit larger bowl for the bathroom sink, so I have been giving that some thought also. It was 14 below freezing this morning, can't wait till spring :D
JerryT

John Eversoll

In being nosey, I am trying to figure out where to get a sink larger that what this rig came with.

Can't even take a decent hore house bath in it let a lone a shave.

I think that the upgrade of the fan clutch is a great idea!!!  the 440's really need help with

cooling.  Mine, the dog house gets so hot ya can't put a soda on the dog house.  But we

do keep the burgers there!!!!  I( have done the thermal wrap for the dog house and doesn't help.

On a better note, Hope you guys have had a great Christmas!!!  and hope that we all can hook up this year

some place.  Hope you all have a great and safe NEW YEARS....  Later gaters,   John

cpcarroll

Jerry
In your post you said that you used the stat from the Club  Mr Gasket #4367 (160 degree Stat) When I check that # online it showes it to be a 180 D stat ? Do you know what you have 160 or 180 ?
I would like to replace the water pump What # did you use?  Help please

Also May have found a P/S pulley please check and let me know what yoy think If you think it will work I will order one fore myself===http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/engine-pulleys-37.php

Thanks for your time
Chuck

JerryT

Hi Chuck
Typo--S/B #4366 for the 160 (I corrected that post)
Saginaw dbl pulley for GM has a smaller pump shaft.
Ford Chrysler Saginaw pump use a larger one.
Someone posted a while back that they found one on an AMC V8
I found mine online searching for Ford van, It came out of Cali from a ford only junk yard.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hey   Jeeerrryy,   what ya doing????

did you ever find a sink for the bathroom???

I don't know if you read my last post about hooking up..

So if ya did, what do you think....

Later gater,,   John

JerryT

Hi John
I am going to customize the stock A.C. sink. I would love to attend a Clipper gathering, maybe just east of the Rockies?
JerryT

John Eversoll

I am going to find a sink for the bath room.   

I really think that we all could make a real effort and make a stab at getting together.

If only once it would be nice.  I still have to get the motor back in the rig and get the trans rebuilt

Plus since the rig has been down for a couple of years I need o redo the brakes front and rear.

I did want to get it painted before we went any place But I think just good old rubbing her out will serfice.

Then I am going to have the Lp lines replaced... I talked to the service tech at Camping World and he

strongly suggested to have them replaced after five years of service.  These are Factory and I like saftey...

So, if we gave ourselfs one year, do we thoink we could all try to have a massive Round up???

At that time we would be coming from Oregon...  That is enough time to put $$$ aside and get things ready

Maybe I am just reaching too far with this.  But I do think that it could happen...  Think  about it

JerryT

John, if you will be there then I will be there! My list is shorter than your list :P
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, Great----That's ONE!!!........

just start putting some bucks  aside... I just had an idea....

ya know the area where the canopy rests  It is hard to get to and plus a bitch to cloean.

Well, I am going to have a friend o fmine paint the American flag stripes to fill the spot..

Not sure where that idea came from but I can see the vision in my head... " looks great"

Ok, now it has been confermed ....  JERRY T and John E are going  whos Next .  whos going to commit???

now mind ya this will be a year from now at the longest.  It could even be in July 

Nice talkin to ya---- John

prophetdaniel2

John,
     From an Alaskan Perspective I say Lets meet IN Oregon.

John Eversoll

I knew there was a reason I liked you!!!!

I gota build the home first...  We are starting in March......

That way I can get out of this Greeeeeedy state.  I have really haD IT LIVING HERE.

I can understand why there are no jobs here..  You can't get a job at Disneyland

if you don't like gays or Lesbians... Or .......... Never mind.......

I don't want to bore you with silly details...  Anyway, Ground breaking will be in March.

And I have to be there..  Thank the Loard.....just a week away ffrom this place is a vacation

Nice talking with you!!!!!!   John E  :)

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, question for ya....

Do you think that a 4 row radiator would fit????

I found a place and bought a 4 row for 197.00 for my 71 Chevelle SS

But I was wondering if the clutch fan would fit-----???? a little extra cooling is great

These ae factory type radiators and are sold thru Auto Zone Kragens PepBoys Checker
even to the car dealers...
Keep out the middle man I say! and they all come with a warrenty!
Anyway I was just wondering if the fan and the radiator would fit together..

Thanks!!!!  John

JerryT

Hi John
In my application, if that 4th row was to the rear it would not fit, if it was to the front, yes it would fit. I am running a larger clutch that puts the fan forward more. In a stock setting I think  a 4 row would work. With that said, I could not find a 4 row to fit mine (440), I could not find a 3 row to fit mine either as I had a factory 2 row. The books showed a 3 row but it was out of production. I bought a 3 row for a 360 motor and had a radiator shop switch top tanks, ect. Maybe if I was in Cali I could have found one but mine is a large wall to wall one that uses every inch of space and I wanted to keep it that way as I like the factory engineering in such a tight space. As I have posted before that with all my mods my temp gauge stays down in the lower 1/3 and has never came up 1/2 way yet, but I don't drive in the desert either but I think it would do fine. I have read that in the radiator world, adding an extra row i.e. 3 to 4 will not increase cooling 25 percent but much less. Area is the most important factor as the old saying goes the bigger the better but once your maxed out in size then the rows come into play but a 2 row will not cool twice as good as a 1 row. The thicker the radiator the more you impede air flow and lose efficiency and at some point you would go backwards. You will have to see how cost effective that 4th row will be vs the extra cooling you may or may not get.
Here are a couple pics of my cowl fresh air to air cleaner set up.
JerryT