News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Problems replacing "16.5 rims with normal size

Started by 76FireballKyle, August 13, 2016, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello, Will Try & Call, You Has Been Late.
I Just Saw Your Contact Info On PM.

Have You Try Looking In Wrecking Yards.
For Coin Style 16? Dodge Wheels.
All Others With Adapter Plates Not Safe.
I Found Mine I Guy Had A Ford Motor Home Like 1976-1977
Someone Wanted Dana Rear end.
All 4 Dual Rims Were On The Ground.
Paid $50.00 Ea. Tires Old & Shot.
There Was A Few Years, 16? Wheels Were Made In So. America Venezuela.
They are Coin Style, Like The a OEM Budd 16.5.

I Still Think Firestone Sells 8.75r16.5 Transforce Tires 10 Ply.
May What To Check That Option.
Stay With OEM, Till You Find The Proper 16? Coin Style Rims.
Make Sure You Have Lining Pin & Put Duals 180 Degrees Offset For Tire Stems.

Safety Note.

Hope This Helps,
Clipper Joe 😉   
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Koamileli

Hi everyone,

So the 1985 Ram 3500 flatbed with dually proposition worked! The new (to me) wheels have slightly larger openings between the "spokes" but all the measurements line up exactly and the wheels passed a test fit with no rubbing anywhere. I'm extremely relieved there is light visible at the end of the tunnel. They did have a fair amount of surface rust on them as shown in the included "before" photo, but after taking them to a shop for a chemical dip and giving them a rattle can job with 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint, they look like new! My index finger still hurts, but I think the end result was worth it.

Koamileli

Koamileli

Clipper Joe

Hello,
Where Were You Able To Find The Bud Wheels?

Thanks In Advance,
Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Koamileli

Joe,

The wheels were still attached to the aforementioned 1985 Ram 3500 flatbed in the back corner of a salvage yard about an hour west of Winston-Salem, NC. I live in Raleigh so the round trip drive was about 5 hours for me, but still worth it considering how hard it is to find these wheels now. That was the only period Dodge they had on-site so I wanted to move quickly in case someone else had their eyes on it. The wheels are mounted on the rig now and I have driven about 60 miles so far on local/work trips with no issues/weird noises/rubbing so I think I can chalk this one up as a win! Now its finally time to get to work on resealing every window before I tear the kitchen apart.

rvguy101

i just pulled a set off a 85 ford f-350 diesel. that i'm going put on my. i pulled the diesel out of it as well since i'm going drop it in it. salvage yard you can find a lot of stuff for a old rv.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

Koamileli

@rvguy101  YES! I've been thinking quite a bit about doing the same with a 5.9 Cummins. Has anyone else here done a diesel swap or heard of one for a Clipper? I am very interested on hearing about the process and inevitable difficulties involved in such a task. Fabricating a new doghouse? Cutting sheetmetal for clearance? Motor mounts? etc. Please keep me posted on your progress @rvguy101 if and when you decide to do this. Thanks!

rvguy101

so far i know, Motor mounts the doghouse & sheet metal to help beef up stuff will need to be done. i'm planing on droping in a 6.9 ford diesel. so far most of the stuff i got, & working on mounts. & if & when i will do it next mouth. since i'm still working on the mouths & some other stuff like the glow plugs set up.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

Koamileli

rvguy101   Awesome, can't wait to hear about it!