News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

440-1 Engine

Started by Tequache, January 02, 2014, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tequache

Hey all, I notice that all the clippers that have the dodge engines in them are 440-3 which are HD. But mine according to the info under the hood is a is a 440-1 what is the difference? Besides the 440-1 maybe a car engine which I don't think that's to cool.

Thanks

Ed
76 440 Dodge 821f RK  ACOC# 3774

Toedtoes

Try doing a VIN check online for your Dodge engine.  You should be able to find out if it came with a 440-1 or if it was changed.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello Toedtoes & Ed,

This Is What I Have Came Up With On The 440-3 V 440-1 Dodge Engines.

**************************************************************************************

"What does the "-3" stand for at the end of 440 engines?"

This is part of the block casting # 440-3 (the full # being 3698830-440-3) which is cast on the side of the block. This number is for 73-78 440's. As far as the -1 or -3 designation, the-3 would mean heavy-duty applications (such as TRUCK/ RV) and the -1 meaning light duty. Distinguishable differences include the -3 has a heavy-duty forged crankshaft that is slightly longer than in other 440s, the coolant passages in the block are larger, the block is taller, and the heads are slightly further apart. It seems that although many parts do interchange, as many or more do not. The distributor may be slightly longer on the ?3 (NEEDS TO BE CHECKED). Exhaust manifolds and headers may require some clearance room to interchange, and intake manifolds from the -1s can supposedly work on a -3 with a spacer (Most will work). Water pumps are slightly different although they will bolt up, (RV water pumps are heavier duty applications).  Head gaskets are slightly different, they have holes for the water routing into the head.  Heads have some extra water passages.

No difference in deck height. The difference between -1 and -3 motors is this_ 1) The block casting has cooling holes in the deck surface at @ 7 PM and 5PM when looking down on each cylinder 2) A corresponding head gasket is required to allow coolant flow through to the heads 3) The heads have peanut plugs(10)mm.  These are listed in the parts books as ?J? engines? They also have matching holes to mate up with the block/head gasket. These holes are 1/4 inch.  All of this was to improve heat removal in severe load use. The -1 engines had none of these modifications. All of these pieces can be intermixed with non -3 or -1 engines, usually without consequence. I know folks who couldn't find a -3 head replacement and used a -1 head. It will usually be ok unless you are pulling a 9000 lb trailer.

Hope This Helps,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Tequache

Thanks Toedtoes and Clipper Joe.

On the manufactures equipment Identification sticker engine is a 440-1 HD cycle. on the sticker it shows 440-1 in 4 different places the last on list says 440-1 Engine 3898305. So I take it came out with the 440-1.
   I also have paper work that this engine was rebuilt at 129,000 miles. It was done by Nu TEC engines systems in El Cajon Ca. they bored and honed the cylinders, aligned and fitted pistons surfaced heads and block, resized rods and install 440 HD master kit. so I don't really know what I have. this unit had 151,000 on it when we got it so it has about 45,000 on rebuild.
I went to put a K&N Air filter on it found out the air filter canister is not the one  that came stock on the unit, its off a 1972 car.

Thanks for all the info on the difference between the -1 & -3 Clipper Joe wont know until I have to have it torn down, which I hope it way down the road.

Thanks again to you both

Ed
76 440 Dodge 821f RK  ACOC# 3774