News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Wheel Lugnut Torque specs

Started by cfcatt, March 24, 2021, 03:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cfcatt

Hello, I have a 1975 Clipper with the 360 engine; I am restoring this Clipper I bought back in 2011, I am replacing the tires and was wondering if someone could share with me the Front and rear lugnut torque specs. 16.5" wheels, Pin on rear whees hub locking the inner wheel to the hub.

Thanks

Clipper Joe

Hello & Welcome Cfcatt,
I found This Data that, May Help You,
It Is So Easy To Google For Info.

This is a subject that most RV'ers know very little about -- wheel lug nut torque.

If your Winnie uses Budd wheels (identified by a square-headed inner "spool" holding the inside tire, and a larger lug nut holding the outter wheel), your inner torque has to be 275 - 300 ft/ lbs; the outter torque is between 325 and 350 ft/ lbs.  IF YOU ARE USING A REGULAR LUG NUT WRENCH, YOU CANNOT TORQUE THEM PROPERLY!!!!

If your Clipper uses a single lug nut to hold both wheels, these are called "Pilot Hub" wheels.  The torque on each lug nut has to be around 300 - 350 ft/ lbs.  Again, you are not going to be able to torque them properly.  The Budd wheels use 450-500 ft/ lbs for both the Budd nut and the lug nut.

If you must remove your lug nuts, torque them as tight as you can with your lug nut wrench, then drive slowly to a truck stop or truck tire shop and have them re-torqued to specs.  Take To Big Rig Tire Shop, They Have A Multi Torque Wrench.
Mine Goes To 200 Lbs.

The Rear Dual Wheels On A 1975 Clipper Are Budd 16.5 Rims,
The Fronts On 1975 Uses Truck or Van1 Ton Rims.

If you Need More Info, I Can Copy Out of My Owners Dodge Parts Maintenance Manual.

Take Care & Be Safe,

Clipper Joe

Ps; Make Sure Rear Dual Rims, Make Sure Lining Pin In Used & Valve Stems Are At
180 Degrees.

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

cfcatt

Yes so easy to Google when you know what to Google for; thanks for the information. My Clipper has the 16.5" Pilot Rear wheels. I know the Dodge VIN is a 1975 but perhaps the Clipper is a 1976 if you say I should have Budd Rear wheels? Anyway I'll get them on as tight as I can and take your advice and go to a shop and get them torqued properly. I lined the pin up properly and rotated the stems 180.

Thanks again for your help.