News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Questions That Are Being Asked???

Started by Clipper Joe, July 23, 2019, 09:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipper Joe

Hello All You American Clipper Owners Out There
In Clipper Land.

Just Wanted To Let You Know, It Would Be Nice
To Have Some Pre - Info.
Like: * What Year Clipper You Own.
        * Type Of Chassis Dodge Or Chevy.
        * What Motor You Have By Cu. In.
Dodge Has 360,& 440.  Chevy 400,Some Changed To 350 Crate Motors.
        * All Clippers House Unit Are Close, Not All Same, So Model Helps
Like Rear Kitchen, Side Kitchen, Party Model, & How Long 21 Foot Or 24 Foot.

Over The Years, Many Past, Present, Have Added & Deleted, Things, Like Showers, Cabinets, Chairs,
And Put House Style Fridge Units.

So Please, Try And Add This To Your Post, It Does Help, To Get You The Answers, That Will Help You. ;)

I Would Like To Give A Shout Out, To A Few Of The Members, & Past Supply Office,
Wagon Masters The Help On The Rally?s.

***** Last But Not Least, To Toedtoes, She Done A Lot
For This Clipper Club, & Now As The Club Is Slowing Down.
She Has Kept The Web Site Going. ;D ;D Thanks So Much ***

Remember, Please Keep This Site Going,
Vast Amount Of Clipper Info Over Many Years...

Good Luck,
Happy Camping.

Clipper Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

dshepard

Hi all,

new here.  looking at this currently on
ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/202741027661?ul_noapp=true

got a 440 and low miles.  a few ?'s:
what is the total height of this vehicle with the a/c unit? I have 10 foot door and don't want to buy this if I have to leave it outside.
is 7 MPG all we can expect with the 440?
is there a member that is familiar with this unit?  vin= F34BD8V723778

thanks much

i'm a mopar guy and pretty handy. this would be my first rv. what kind of trouble am I getting into?

Toedtoes

From the photos, it looks pretty good.  I definitely would not buy it sight unseen - you really want to check the engine out.  Also the age of the tires - anything over 4 years old and you're going to need to replace within the first year or two.  The AC is newer.  Test all appliances and run water through the faucets.

I don't recognize it, but that doesn't mean it's not a club member - many are older and are starting to sell.

7-10mpg is about average for a class C.

If I remember, the height is just around 10ft give or take.  I always use 10ft 6 inches as a guide.  I suspect it will be just too tall to fit in your garage.

Clipper Joe had a 440, so he can give you details on it.  The 440 is prone to overheating so you want to check that.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

SierraJoe

That particular Clipper has been on E-Bay for quite awhile. When it was first listed if I remember correctly, they were asking around $10,000 for it. I agree with Toedtoes, don't make an offer on it till you see it and make sure it has a clean title.
77 821 F 1 T Dodge 440

Clipper Joe

Hello There Joe,
Easy To Remember Your Name SAM. Wanted To Comment
On EBay Clipper,Toedtoes Is Correct, You Want To Kick The Tires And Blow The Horn.
Also, Make Sure Vin # Match Paper Work & Stay Away From Salvage Titles.
The Condition Is The Key, You Always Will Have To Put $$$ Into Maintenance, Tires Oil Smog Etc.
No Way Out Off That. I Was Very Lucky To Get Top Dollar For My Clipper Wilson,
But The Guy I Sold It Loves Him, And Hope He Keeps It For Another 10-20 Years.
I Know That Now The Parts For A Class A Is Double In Price Ouch... :-[ :-[
If I Was Buying A Clipper Now, I Would Buy A Nice Condition 1975 With A
360 Cu In V-8. It Does Not Need Smog As Of Now, Some Day They Will Make It Hard On The 
The Older Cars, They Want Them Off The Road.

Remember If Buying An American Clipper Any Year, Do You Homework, Don?t Rush, Check The Unit Like Toedtoes Has Said Many Times, Check For Leaks & That Everything Inside Works, Would Be Nice If Was Owned By Club Member.

Happy Camping,
Clipper Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

dshepard

thanks guys.  excuse my RV ignorance

- Are all of you in agreement that a Clipper is too tall for a 10 foot door opening? 
- My primary use for the camper would not be extended stays in campgrounds..  more travelling to sites and lots of boondocking.. so I will not be plugged-in often...  do I need/want an A/C? They look fairly easy to remove..  and replace with a fan..  that would make the Clipper shorter....
- leaks - must be much easier to fix in fiberglass than something else
- I just can't see me in a 20 year old Roadtrek or Pleasure Way...  I've rented them...  not simple enough to maintain yourself...  and too frilly for me...

the owner of the CLipper on ebay seems to think it's under 10 feet...  perhaps he just wants the sale... 

Toedtoes

For boondocking and dry camping, you would only be able to run the AC if you got a generator, so it's of no use really.

I don't camp in the heat and don't use a generator, so never use the AC while camping.  When the AC does come in handy is when I am at home doing work on it in the hot summer days.

You could put in a vent instead - you may have to do some extra work to make it fit.  But I wouldn't unless you absolutely have to as that AC is nice when you have to work on the clipper in the heat.

I would recommend going to see it yourself - then you can verify the height while you check everything else.  I measured mine ages ago and I just know that I always use 10.5ft as "if it's at least this high, I can get under it with the clipper".  The clipper itself is shorter than that, but I honestly don't know how much shorter.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754