News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

East Coaster Looking for first Clipper

Started by DianeW, July 01, 2015, 04:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DianeW

Hello,
Just joined the club. Found a 1974 Clipper on local Craigslist and totally fell in love... sadly I missed out. 

Now I'm searching everywhere for one of my own.  Wondering if anyone has a rear kitchen clipper they are considering selling?  I have a family of 5 so I think I need the rear kitchen in hopes the bench seating and a long couch could hold the teenagers.  Can always put the boy scout outside at a campsite in his hammock anyway ;-)

Thanks

Toedtoes

With 5 people, you will want a floorplan with the couch - not the chairs.  Both the rear kitchen and side kitchen come with either a dinette and couch OR a dinette and 2 chairs.  If you're really lucky, you might find one of the rare bunkhouse models or a 24 ft.  8) 8)

There aren't as many clippers out on the east coast, but don't give up.  A lot of the original (or second) owners are reaching the point where they are selling their clippers.  It seems like a new one appears for sale every few weeks - somewhere.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

DianeW

Thanks ToedToes! 

I imagine the 70's engine parts aren't that hard to come by.....Can I ask, how about some of the camper elements? 
I've seen some clippers listed for scrap and it made we wonder how challenging is it to find part?  What if a window is broken? or one of the cabinet doors? 
Trying to get a sense of what I'm getting myself into   :o

Thanks for the advise.

Toedtoes

Most of the clippers selling for parts have major engine issues.

Occasionally there will be a clipper with extensive water damage - those are usually a rarity - the 5 piece fiberglass shell is very good at no leaks.

Parts-wise, things are getting harder to find, but there is almost always a way. Engine parts may be rebuilt or new old stock (less and less available). The national club has a parts supply program and the supply officer Mel has lots of contacts in the industry to find or manufacture parts. Clipper Joe is also very good at finding parts.

Cabinet doors would need to be manufactured, but not hard to do. With windows, the club has the main windows available. One thing to remember is that the louvre windows should NOT be open while driving. The wind pressure will weaken the window hinges. Always close the louvres completely before driving.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

bulldog 1995

glass is easy to get it's mostly just flat tempered panes that have been "smoked" any glass shop can get and install for you. I had the front ovals done as they were plastic and were in bad but serviceable condition. only cost me $50 and I put laminated tempered glass in them 
77 821 FCIT Dodge 440 w/less then 30,000 miles

LARRY RAY

I have a 78, 440 rear kitchen. Needs some cleaning, yet is available. I'm at the age I just can't keep up with her anymore. Post on here, or call me at 806-893-4680 and we will see if a deal can be done. My asking price right now is 4500.00 negotiable.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.

DianeW

Hi Larry,
I was trying to find something anywhere from the mid west to the east coast.... 7 months later and no luck.
Are you still offering your?or have you parted ways?

Thanks
Diane