News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Foam??

Started by Horst, August 19, 2005, 08:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

Anybody know a good place to get quality high density foam,  (the Internet?) at a reasonable price??

Here in Santa Cruz, they want me to take a out second mortgage to buy foam.................

It's time for me to replace my seats/couch/bed - the fabric is fine, but the foam is shot - previous owner replaced fabric but not foam.
For all of you doing an upholstery job - remember - good foam is critical. Just try sitting at your dinette for more than 30 minutes on crappy foam - and you'll know exactly what I mean (or sleeping on crappy foam for that matter)

thanks

OK BigRay and Andy - I have a confession - my rear decal is SHOT! - Front one looks brand new - but the rear one is exposed to sun and salty, foggy air - and is bleached out...........a lesson here for BigRay - notice when I submitted a picture of my Clipper - you got the fornt shot......
:wink:
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Rodney

I got mine at http://l.joann.1nc024.com/l/r/03khlIiK0EeGF06geK
if you catch it on sale it isn't to bad a price and they have the good stuff.
they send out 40 - 50 % off cupons if you get on their mailing list which you can do on line. Hay more junk mail right!! :lol:
i bought mine from a local store where I also go my fabric for the cusions and curtians.
Rodney

bigray

I posted this a while back but here it goes again. I got mine from a local wholesaler. I tried Joanne and some other retailers but the prices were horrible.

I got mine from http://www.thefoamstore.com/

The guy you see in the photo is Johnny. He and his wife owns the business. I called him up one day with measurements and the next day I picked up my foam order.

I told him about the club and he said he would ship the foam. Give him a holler. Tell him Ray told you about him.  If you decide to go with him let me know and I'll call and refresh his memory! Oddly enough I ran across the receipt the other day. I think I spent around $200 for the foam.

Andy Illes

Got another solution.  Call around to discount mattress stores (and manufacturers, if you have any around), find the best price you can on an El Cheapo foam one.... should be $40-$60 for a queen... available in various densities.  Just strip the cover, ticking etc off... cut it with a sharp electric carving knife.  Budget Bingo.

Shame, shame, SHAME about the decal Horst.... tch, tch, tch.  My stickers were really crappy too and I took 'em off.  Like Ray, thought about just leaving 'em off... but it left that "outline"... so I got the new ones, along with new tail lights.  I was AMAZED at the difference it made to poor 'ol Fred's overall looks!!!   Ok Horst... YOUR turn to call Mel, lol.

PS... I also got a new Clipper "door mat" for the coach... another amazing improvement.  Anybody know if the ones for the cab doors are available anywhere?  Mine are embarassingly pathetic..... even worse after I re-carpeted.  

PPS... to "shape" carpet for the cab, just heat the BACK with a heat-gun, blow drier, whatever, where you need to mold it over the wheel-wells... hold it place till it cools.  I didn't bother with padding... can't tell any difference, and it was a simpler job.

Rodney

Yes Joanns retail prices were, well Retail. but when I bought the foam for my seats with the 50 % off it was a good deal and I had no shipping charges if I were to have ordered it. Cutting the foam is kind of tricky at least I found it was when the gal at Joanns was trying to cut mine she was all over the place with her cut. I ask if I could cut the 2nd piece. Thank God she let me Cuz if the foam has a bad cut it either has to be built back up before the covers go on or it looks just like the foams imperfections. Cutting the dense foam it harder than it looks IMHO.
BTW Joanns HD foam, I am very pleased with. I got the 4 cusions for the dinnette for 80$ and I only had to buy what I needed. who ever you get it from make sure the cuts are right  on stright and true!!
I need to replace the foam on the upper bunk as well but haven't wanted to spend the $$ but I have also consider one of those memory foam matresses I have seen at Costco for about a 100$ an put on top of the old stuff? has anyone done that :?:
If the decals tend to weather quickly in some conditions it might be a good Idea to cover them after installed with a U V clear plastic film we buy this from our paint supplier and is made by 3M. Good stuff.. we use it after we paint and have to remove the plastic film that is being installed be the car manufactures behind the tires where the paint is prone to chipping.
This stuff is extra sticky so using the Graphics solution before appliction  is almost a must if you have to reposition the film.
Happy Foaming :D
Rodney

bigray

I replaced all my cushions. Including the one in the cabover, the base for the couch, the back to the courch and the 2 other pillows that make up the L-shaped couch. I used the pink heavy duty foam and it's like a quality mattress. I took the old cabover mattress and they did the cutout for me.

I didn't do anything to the cushions but delivery them to the upholstery shop along with the fabric that I bought from Hancoc Fabric.

I then removed my swivel chairs from the driver's side and ordered some more cushion for that side. It looks pretty good in my opion.

Andy Illes

I repeat.... sigh....  To cut foam perfectly.....

Mark your line.... use an ELECTRIC CARVING KNIFE.  Just hold it vertical to the foam, and don't force it, let it cut at it's own pace.   Key is to let the knife do the work... the foam shouldn't even squirm.

PS  If you get busted sneaking your wife's kitchen one out (even though the foam won't hurt/dull it one bit.. they can be unreasonable about these things)... they're about $10.  Cheap one works fine for this.  

And... ummmm... after she wrecks hers on a cheap roast during the big family reunion.. be a hero.. gift her your "new" one....  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: