News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

I Really thought I had them Blead But NOT!!

Started by Rodney, July 16, 2005, 12:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodney

Hi,
been a while since I checked in to see whats up.
everyones always busy doing something or the other to their Clippers.
I took a break from my Clipper for a while, had to replace the floor in my Sea Swirl before we took it out this year. This lead to new carpet and seats among other stuff. Man this RVing is a lot of work isn't  it.
Well since I have insurance on the clipper and it is set up for towing I figured it will be my tow rig since I have spent all the time and $$$ on her latley, after replacing the rear axel this spring I got everything buttoned up and had my buddy help me blead the brakes and thought good to go. I have driven her several mile test driving and short trips. seem like everything was good to go.. So fastened the boat on her and off to the lake. I new something felt funny with the brakes right after I started to tow the boat {no brakes on the boat axle} the left front tire was sliding and doing a lot of work to stop the rig so I pulled in the shop and tried the bleeding again. it was a little better so off the the lake.
when backing in to the boat launch I just about didn't get it stopped  AKKK brakes still not fixed. This wasn't good. So I dug out my vacuum pump brake bleeder tool and gave that a try. last night for and hour and then again this AM for another hour or so of pump pump pump with the tool and back an forth to fill the master cylinder. WHEEW what a work out that was. I now have a much better peddle feel that before so off the lake again to see if I have got it completely blead. I have never had such a time to blead brakes until now.
Wish me luck
Rodney

Rodney

I visited with a buddy of mine who owns a Mechanic repair shop who has had the same problem I am experenceing with the brakes on my Clipper.
He has a pressure bleeder and that is what it took to get all of the air out of the system when  experencing the problems I am. So I will give that a try since I am still not convinced the brakes are working at 100 % I am not going to give up until they are FIXED for sure.
I guess I created the problem when I let all of the fluid drain from teh lines when I replaced the rear axle. If I had it to do again I would have had a cap for the brake line handy and plugged the line after I disconnected the line from the axle. That sure would have saved a to of greef.
Rodney

Rodney

The pressure bleeder Was a good idea but sure made a mess until I got the lid on the master cly. fastened down extra tight. I also had to remove the cylinder from the booster with the lines still attatched to have enough room for the hose that goes to the lid.
While bleeding the rear brakes I discovered the flow to the left rear wasn't as good as the right. After further inspection of the brake lines on the rear axel I discovered a small crimp in the line which was very hard to see since the brake lines are covered in that coil of wire for protection.
That was my HUGE problem with the rear brakes the left rear wasn't getting the fluid supply it needed. I have brakes  :D . I guess I damaged the line when installing the rear axle :oops: one other thing I found when under the home looking for a reason for the brake problem is where the brake lines bends around a frame rail  to the rear of the system and screws to the flex line going to the axle the exhaust pipe for the right side is only a few inches from that steel line. I don't like the looks of that at all so I am going to co back under there and either build a small heat shield for that line or move the line or have the pipe rebent for more clearance.
While building different cars in the past I have installed adjustable proportioning valves on in the brake systems to fine tune the brakes. I am considering this for my Clipper feeling that with all of the added weight of the coach on the rear axle there isn't enough braking to the rearcausing the fronts to do much of the work. I don't think it would take to much extra braking in the rear but a small amount more might really help especially when towing.
When building street rods and installing huge rear wheels and tires on the rear it was amazing how much better the stopping was after fine tuning the brakes with the adj Valve. I was getting some help from WellWood when setting up a car, Don't see why it would be any different for the Clippers. I Would guess that nothing was taken into consideration when the chassis were built and then adding all of the weight of the motor home? I am going to put some more thought in to this I don't feel I am done yet.
See Ya
Rodney

Quote from: "Rodney"I visited with a buddy of mine who owns a Mechanic repair shop who has had the same problem I am experenceing with the brakes on my Clipper.

I think that that is a brilliant idea.