News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Hood or Fender Vents

Started by bigray, July 15, 2005, 01:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

I was wondering if anyone had installed or considered installing a vents in the hood or fender to allow more air flow in the doghouse of their Clipper. I'm considering it but cringe thinking about cutting a hole in my girl.

Perhaps one of the spoilers under the front bumper would be a better option given you can snatch it off if it doesn't work as expected. Just seems with the tight space it would be hard to run hoses fron down below to doghouse area.

Share your thoughts!

Shayne

I saw one at a rally that had removed the grill just under the widshield, and cut a hole in the deck between there and the engine bay.

Then took a can and sealed in that hole with about 1/2 an inch sticking up so that water would not just fall in.

Then put a piece of sheet metal on the grill directly in front of the hold so water wouldn't hit it directly and the air would be forced to go around.

Then on the buttom side, attached a duct to the can and in this case it was then attached to the aircleaner snorkel.  Poor man's cold air intake.  :D

But you could easily run the duct just to point under the dog house to keep the air circulating.

I was going to do something like this to my Clipper but just never got to it.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Richard Peterson

The only reason to consider this that occurs to me is if you are running hotter than you should.  I thought about this but find that it isn't necessary if your cooling system is working properly.  My 77 460 runs in the low middle of the range even on the hottest days here (Phoenix).  Probably the starting place is a clean radiator, then thermostat, fan, hoses, and finally a new air filter.  The only times I have over heated is when I had a leak in the system like a bad hose and then boy does it go up in a hurry.    8)
Richard Peterson

Rodney

Ray I thnk Richard is right if all is working good you should not need to do anything to drastic. My clipper did run hot and boil over after I shut her down. after rebuilding the engine and found the head gaskest blown that took care of the boil over problem. while at it I replaced or rebuild everything else to do with the cooling system, Yesterday I took the clipper and my 16.5 ft boat which weights a ton down to the lake. And I mean DOWN to the lake it is one steep grade to get there which is a good test for the brakes { thats another story :shock: } it was 100 degrees when we left the lake and pulled the hill with now problem at all stayed nice and cool.  when I first got the clipper and was trying to do what you are considering I mounded two fans under the rig and routed ducting to exhaust some of the heat.. boy was that a waste of good money and time. at least the way I did it.
years ago we were doing some work on the ambulances for WarmSprings Reservation and did cut holes in the hood of there Fords and mounted some chrome louvers for venting the engine and it may have helped but on the down side rain would also let its way in the engine compartment which wasn't good.
let is know what you decide to do I am open to ideas maybe the spoiler I could consider?
Rodney

bigray

Thanks Gents. Well put. Everything regarding my cooling system is new except the radiator. I did have the radiator checked by a shop and the guys said it was fine. He was a older gentleman and did a test whereby he filled the radiator with water while it was turned on it's side. He coveredl the bib with his hand and when he released it he could somehow tell the flow by how far the water went.  

I ordered a new grill for my Clipper this weekend from Rockauto.com. While I have the old one off I'm going to make sure the fins on my A/C and Transmission cooler are clean and not restricting airflow.

By the way, my Clipper run 200-210 degress when I'm running between 65 and 70 mph. At 55 she runs about 190 degrees or so!

Thanks again for the feedback!

Andy Illes

I've read your post several times Ray.... not sure you really have any problem to solve.  Dunno about the Chevy setup, but on my Dodge, the engine fan moves a LOT of air through the doghouse area, and on down and out the rear.  I know you've worked on your engine with the doghouse off and felt it, so I don't think there's anything to worry about with the engine running.  

On the other hand, if it's the residual heat after you shut down, an electric radiator fan would do the trick, since you could easily add a delay timer to the thermostat switch.

I do love the "fix" Shayne mentions, but for a different reason.  That seems like a perfect way to get cool air to the carb's air-cleaner snorkle.. way easier than trying to snake a duct anywhere