News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

starting problems

Started by bigray, June 28, 2005, 10:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Greetings All,

I'm having some starting troubles with my Clipper. Since I aquired my Clipper I've had the same trouble. When I turn the ignition switch I hear the click of my isolator solenoid but the starter does not turn. In order to get it started I have move the gear shifter back and forth. After a few up and down montions it usally crank.

However, I tried to crank it the other day and it wouldn't crank no matter what. I figured it was the neutral safety switch so I changed it. I also changed the starter and solenoid under the hood.  I'm not talking about the isolator solenoid. I change that one previously. I'm not sure what purpose of this solenoid is but I changed that puppy anyway.

After I did the replacement, it started right up. I figured the problem was solved; however, when I went to take it back to storage it wouldn't crank.  :shock:  I fiddled with the shifter and it cranked up. Got it to the storage and wouldn't you know it I didn't pull the Clipper in quite far enough and it wouldn't crank. :x I removed the neutral safety switch from the column and put it in the parked position to see if that was the problem. Nope.......nada.  Again, I fiddled with the column and after some choice words it cranked up.

I'm outta of options. I called around to some local salvage yards today to see if I can get a replacement column because mine has alot of slack in it. I got to thinking that perhaps there is a secondary safety switch of some sort.

I guess I have three questions:

1) for those of you with 78 or 79 chevy clippers do you have two solenoid under the hood. If so, do  you know the purpose of the one that doesn't look like a film canister?

2) I have four wires connected to  my starter. One 10 gauge for the ignition, the battery cable and two 10 guage wires connect with the battery cable that I have no clue about. They originate from the firewall best I can tell. Any clue what they are for?

3) Is there some secondary mechanism within my TH350 transmission that is preventing my Clipper from starting. Perhaps the linkage is not working properly and some do-hicky is not being engaged like it should be.

Please give me some pointers because I missed one fishing trip last weekend and I don't want to miss another given I have a long weekend with the July 4 holiday!

Thanks!

bigray

Well folks I think I licked my starting problem. I turned out to be a combination of things.

1- the neutral safety switch was shot.
2- the wiring between the solenoids was corroded, brittle and  in need of
   replacement.
3- the wiring to the starter has been melted by exaust heat and was
   slightly touching the chasis frame. Probably killed the starter solenoid.
   I replaced the starter. Mine had a lifetime guarantee.
4- for good measures I change the secondary starter solenoid. I wasn't
   absolute sure it was bad but I changed it anyway!

She starts right up now! Yooooooooo Hooooooooohhh!