News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

How to rejuvenate paneling??

Started by dig, March 15, 2005, 03:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dig

The paneling in my Clipper is pretty beat in a few places. I have tried Murphy's Wood Oil, but without much luck. Is there anything that anyone can recommend to make it look even a little better (short of replacing it!)?

I really noticed it today when I took a picture of a bottle of wine I bought the other day on my current outting (see Campground Review post). I took it to show some of my friends, but when I saw the pic, I thought "eww - that looks real bad". Any help??

Here is the pic that made me ask -

Thanks -

--dig

bigray

Use some polyurethane. You will love the results. I used it on my walls and was very pleased. The paneling has some dry spots that make the whole wall look bad. When you apply the polyurethane the whole surface is blended.

Remember how the wall looked when you first applied the Murphy's (that look disipated when the moisture dried). Well the polyurethane give you the same look and seals too. Trust me, you will like the results. If not, use a little shoe polish (I didn't try the shoe polish but it's a suggestion. The wax may prevent the polyurethane from adhering) to get the desired look and then coat with the polyurethane.

Also, if the doors to your overhead storage/cabinets are badly damaged or have the burlap looking paper covering them, you can simply remove the door and the hardware and flip the door over. Afterward, reapply the hardware and fill the hole from the hinges with some matching wood putty and you will like the results too.

Make sure you post some before and after pictures to share!

Good Luck!

dig

Good suggestions BigRay - thanks. I will look for polyurethane. I suppose it should be in a quart can that is spread on with a brush?

Love your picture modification :)

--dig

bigray

I used a quart can of Minwax Fast-Drying Clear Semi-Gloss Polyurethane.

Andy Illes

Hiyya Dig.

Ray's suggestion's a good one.  I'd add that Minwax makes all-in-one stain/polyurthane in pints/quarts.  Get a close match to the paneling, and use that stuff, after you give everything a good washing.  I'd suggest wiping it on with a clean rag, since you only want a very thin coat.  

Good luckand yeah.... post pics.

PS... that's a decent wine :):)

Andy Illes

I forgot to mention.  The stain will naturally "take" more in the scuffed parts, and hardly color good ones.  You can govern the color by how much you apply, obviously.  WATCH DUST!!!

dig

Great info Andy - thanks!

--dig

susan-y

I used Miniwax Wood-sheen. It is a rubbing oil stain and finish.  Comes in a 12 oz squeeze bottle, go's on with a cloth and drives in 2 hours.  Windsor Oak for the shade.    No clean up or prep.  Just dry, clean wood.  Sue

AndyIlles

Hiyya Sue

Great tip!  I've not seen that product but from what you're saying, it sure sounds perfect for this kindda problem huh? Btw, how'd ya guys make out with your Fla ins problem?

susan-y

Andy,
KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!  I went down had a look, gotta love plaster walls, they were dry after having 8 inches of water in the house.  Looked like disaster area still (P'cola), fun to drive around with most street signs down.  But my insurance came through for me, between wind and flood, more than covered my known damage.  Had a stack of receipts (for repairs) come in just the other day :shock:   Still might be something hideing, just waiting for me to drop my guard.  Hope not!  Sue

susan-y

Andy, So how goes your insurance adventure? Sue

susan-y