News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Transmission Linkage Issues

Started by bcoxsey, February 05, 2005, 10:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcoxsey

I have my rig (1978 Dodge with 440) parked in storage, and today I went out to check up on it, and gas it up (with StaBil, of course) and fill up the propane tank for a future trip. When I went to put the tranny into reverse, the linkage near the transmission rod that actuates the transmission broke. Actually the part is similar to the plunger rod underneath a common household bathroom sink. It holds the linkage rod from the transmission in place and transfers the movement from the column shifter into a side-to-side motion of the shaft that enters into the transmission housing. I tried going to a local auto parts store, and they told me I would have to go to a junkyard or a dealer. It doesn't look too complicated, and I am wondering if I can just weld the two broken parts together and replace it back where I took it off from? The part is like a square "U" shape with a hole in the center and a bolt that rides up against a square block with a pin at one end - the pin end hooks up to the linkage from the column shifter, and the hole accomodates the shaft that runs into the transmission housing... The part that broke was the small "U" shaped "holder" right next to where the bolt or set screw is which holds the whole thing together. I hope I am not making this too complicated - I wish I could just post a picture... I can email a picture if need be, but I am not sure how to attach a picture to this posting.

Anyone have any suggestions? bcoxsey@hotmail.com

handyman

The man was right your best bet is a junkyard there should be plunty of them to choose from and the easyest to get  :D

bcoxsey

Do you think I will have any luck at a dodge dealership? I think I am going to try them out first... I hate going to a junkyard and paying 75% of the cost of a new part for something that is used... Besides, I do not know of any junkyards in my area... Although I think there is a pick and pull in Prunedale or close by there...

Cookiecruncher

Try your local trans shop. take the broken part with you they should have what you are after

AndyIlles

Hiyya BC.... Though mine's a '76/360, I've seen that exact part on a Dodge van.  Al's right about a junkyard if you wanna replace it, a tranny shop's not likely to have one, and they'd probably just weld it, like you're apparently capable of.  That part doesn't look like it's ever under any substantial load so a weld or even brazing should work just fine.  Good luck.

Andy

handyman

bcoxsey

Well, I went to the local Dodge dealership in Salinas today... Turns out they do have the part I am looking for (thank God). It is only going to cost me $5.50 (plus tax)... They even said they could give me a copy of the drawing so I don't have to go by my memory of how it came apart... I was just going to have the guys in the machine shop where I work, help me to make one up if I couldn't find one... Thanks for all of the useful info guys!

bigray

Glad you found the part. Good Luck with the replacement!