News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Portable Canopy Suggestions

Started by dig, January 19, 2005, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dig

My AC did not come with a canopy, and I don't think I want to lay out the cash to install one. So, I am looking for a portable canopy to use instead. I am looking at EZ-Up style canopies.

Does anyone have any experience for a good camping canopy? Durable, easy to put up, reasonable price, small stowage footprint, etc.. I would like something in the 10x10 neighborhood, but can be flexible.

Thanks -

dig

bigray

I bought a cheapo $19-$29 one from Walmart for a beach camping trip and it wasn't that good (you get what you pay for, Right). I don't recall the model or anything but it was horrible. I left it with my brother so I don't know if he returned it or wrote ti off as a loss.

If you get a good one let me know because I'm with you on not mounting one on the Clipper. Besides, I rented a 31 foot RV a couple of years back and drove to the Grand Canyon from Houston. One the way back the canopy came undone while my wife was trying to drive 70-75 mph while talking on the cell phone. I woke up to a noise that sounded  like a helicopter trying to land on the roof of the RV. :shock:

The dealear that I rent from remove the ladder off of his rental unit for liability reasons so I had to limp to the nearest exit and go into a gas station and borrow a ladder to roll it back. I had to take video to show that I didn't touch the thing. Straps where still in place yet I came unrolled. I don't we spoke again for about an hour! I said I was sorry for blowing at her and she apologied for driving to fast and we went on our merry way.

Speaking of driving too fast, on a recent trip she was driving the Clip. Mind you that I only drive my Clipper 55-60 mph. I woke up (you'd think I learn by now not to sleep when my wife is at the wheel of a RV) to groan of my short block 400.

Would you please slow down, she said how do you know that I'm going 65? Because I can hear it in the engine Dear. Now please slow down. Now that I think of it, I think she was on the phone. Mental note: Take cell phone and put it in the rear of the RV while wife is driving and use it for emergencies only. Well, then my wife will be less inclined to go without modern conveniencies.......well you see where I'm going. I guess I coach her a bit more on safety as I enjoy her company. Besides I can manage two small kidsb y myself going down the road.

At any rate, my point was like yours dig, I'm not to keen on canopies mounted on the RV so I'd like know of a good portable one as well.

handyman

What your both looking for is easy up  there site is ezup.com they come in 8x8 10x10 10x15 and 10x20 go up quick and dawn faster stong yet fairly light youll love them :D and lots of colors :D dang I'm good :D

Andy Illes

Dig & Ray.  Those EZups are fantastic!!   I've had one for about 9 years now and love it.  Nothing to assemble/disassemble.... you can set it up
or take it down alone in a minute, and folded up, it's only about 4' high and has a footprint of less than a sq ft.  I keep mine bungeed in that closet "nook" thing behind the dinette.  Tip... though they suggest taking the "canvas" off when you stow it, I've been folding it all-together since I've gotten it with no prob.  When I replace mine, I think I'll go for the 10x15 one though.... it'll protect a picnic table better.  Be sure to shop around, I've seen 10x10 prices range from about $70 to over $200.

One thing.... The instant you get it home, set it up and wax, silicone or WD-40 all the metal parts.  Unless they've gotten better plating since mine was new, they rust, esp fingerprints.

dig

Thanks for the feedback. I have looked at the EZ-Ups, and it is good to hear they have good reviews. I was a little concerned that they would be very large when folded up.

I seem to only find them in the $200 range. Any reliable outlets that offer a good price?

Thanks again -

dig

Horst

EZ-Ups are pretty nice - and pretty heavy - and once one part fails - you're basically screwed.
Now maybe the latest EZ-UPs are better??
I have not looked at them in a few years.........
I never did like them that much - I prefer the old fashioned ones with 20 poles and connectors, etc.
Sounds silly I know - but I can whip those up solo in 5 minutes - it's light, can easily be nailed down, and is easy to repair, etc.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

bigray

Thanks gents. I'll take a looksy at the EZ up!

dig

Quote from: "Horst"EZ-Ups are pretty nice - and pretty heavy - and once one part fails - you're basically screwed.
Now maybe the latest EZ-UPs are better??
I have not looked at them in a few years.........
I never did like them that much - I prefer the old fashioned ones with 20 poles and connectors, etc.
Sounds silly I know - but I can whip those up solo in 5 minutes - it's light, can easily be nailed down, and is easy to repair, etc.

This is why I asked. I wondered about the PVC-style ones as well. Any idea if the stowage size is larger or smaller than a comperable sized EZ-Up? Seems like my rig fills up pretty damned fast. Those also seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the EZ-Ups.

I would think if a guy could get the PVC-style canopy with a good top material, it would be easy enough to repair in the field if anything got broken, and easy to replace the PVC structure pieces if something breaks. I imagine the corner junction pieces could be replaced as well.

hmmm....

Thanks again for the input.

--dig

dig

Thanks again for the suggestions. I bought this 12x12 E-Z Up from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001LQZNY/002-6649924-4309657?v=glance

Happen to have a $100 gift certificate from Christmas, and with no tax and free shipping, I have a penny left on it!!

--dig

dig

I got the EZ-Up today from Amazon (FAST free shipping!!) and am very happy with it. I did not get to set it up (damn rain), but will this weekend.

I was concerned that it would be an "EZ-Up-Compatible" type thing, but it is an official EZ-Up product. It is a Sierra model, which is not listed on their site. Came with the frame, top, stakes, and a roller bag.

I will get to try it out in February!

--dig

bigray

Let me know if you would recommend it once you set it up this weekend.

dig

Quote from: "bigray"Let me know if you would recommend it once you set it up this weekend.

I set it up this weekend and it is awesome! I really like it. The one thing that I would maybe suggest is to get a 10X10. I have the 12X12 and it may be too big. I would imagine that if I was at a site that didn't have a bunch of room, it will be a problem. It is big, but very nice. I would recommend.

--dig

AndyIlles

Glad you like it Dig, knew you would.  I didn't know they made a 12x12... yeah, that would be a little chunky on some sites - like a 2nd RV, huh?  Like I said before, if/when I have to replace my old 10x10, I'm getting the 10x15.  I note that the new ones have powder-coated frames, which fixes my ONE bitch with 'em.

Btw... get somma those long "gutter spikes" (Home Depot, etc).  They're the best thing I've found to hold 'em down.  While you're at it, get a can of Silicone and lube all those little pivot jobbies... I do mine a couple times a year and haven't had a problem after nearly 10 years of pretty rough, constant use.  Enjoy  :lol:

bigray

Thanks Dig and Andy! I'll have to get one. .....when I get some money that is. I have some other Clipper projects going on right now and my funds are low.

handyman

Thanks guys I get the info tell you all about it and don't even get  my a thanks my buddys