News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Keeping small children from falling out of the cabover bed

Started by bigray, December 13, 2004, 05:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

My kids are small and I worry about them falling from the top bed in my Clipper while sleeping. Do any of you with kids, grandkids or other small kiddos have a solution? Either something you bought or created.

Let me know!

Conrad

Let them sleep in a tent!  :P  Or you could strap them in, sorta like a straight jacket.   Or put up some sort of door thingy,  like a half panel across the opening?

handyman

Ray I don't know if they still make them but when our kids were small we bought a folding railing that was about eighteen inches tall and had two arms that swung out and went under the matteris worked great should be able to find them at any kids supply place :D Jim

bigray

Thanks for the suggestions Gents,

Conrad, on some days when my patience is short, I feel like strapping them in and putting duct tape on their little mouths.  :wink:

Jim, we have one of those; however, when my wife or I am sleeping with them, going to the potty in the middle of night is chore. I thought about rigging up something with something like on of those tailgate nets or something. I just worry about safety with my 9 month old.

I guess I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. I'd like something to keep them up there but will be easily removed.

I'll let you know what I come up with!

Horst

get a 5 ft. 2''x8" piece of well dryed dougfir (so it's light) - even a nice piece of cedar fence board will work.
Use your jigsaw to cut out an elongated "u-shaped" 3-foot wide piece out of it, starting 1 foot down from the end of the board - cut down about 1/2 way.

Sand it smooth - and attach velcro strips to both ends, and to the walls of the bunk (near the opening to the coach) - this is how you fasten the board to the wall. Ther are other ways to fasten/secure the board - do what works best for you

Now the kids can climb over the cut-out to get out of the bunk, but the 4 inch border will still keep them in while sleeping.
You can fold it flat when you want to go in and out.

I should look like something like this:

_______                                _________
|           \                              /               |
|            \________________/                |
|                                                           |
|__________________________________|

well...........you get the idea!
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Horst

oh man - my beautiful image I typed on my previous post got all messed up during the "posting" process.......
oh well..........
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

bigray

Thank Horst. I think I have a mental picture of what you are describing. Thanks for te suggestion.

handyman

One more wild idea use a tail gate web that they use to get rid of the tail gates to get better milage just hold it on with snaps both sides and bottom :D

bigray

Not a wild idea at all. That's what I'm leaning toward!

handyman

AndyIlles

Geeze Ray.... where are your parenting skills?!?!?

Just staple their little jammies through the mattress (worked wonders for the orig carpet, right??)..... and then, there's always leg-irons.... a leash.... and let's not forget Super Glue.  In the morning, you could just sortta peel 'em outta there when they start screaming.

No brainer..... sheesh.  Gotta wonder about you.  Other than that, the "cargo net" idea sounds pretty good.

Andy....  :lol:

Conrad

Man!  :shock:  Good thing kids gots moms.  I really like the superglue angle :P

AndyIlles

I raised two of 'em on my own from diapers on (outta college and grad school now - and once in a GREAT whle, they even remember to call... sigh)..... my first AOL screen name was aMrMom.... I KNOW these things!!!