News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

K&N Filters - should I get one

Started by bigray, December 08, 2004, 01:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

In an ongoing effort to get better mileage, I'm thinking about getting a K&N air filter. What I've read so far suggest that they are only good if you live and drive in dusty conditions. Which I don't

Has any gotten increase fuel efficiency with the K&N air filter?

Let me know!

handyman

It's not just the dirt they allow more air through the filter while stoping more dirt they do work I have them on all my cars and truck     Jim

AndyIlles

When I had my shop (Autosport), we stuck several different brands of air filters on the flow bench and didn't really find any significant difference between an $85 Ferrari filter, and say, a run of the mill Fram.  On the other hand, there's a post about increasing the airlceaner "snorkel" diameter and hooking it to an "intake hose" to cool air.  That one makes sense, though I haven't done it... yet.

bigray

I saw a snorkel extention hose made by Motormite that I plan on installing.  I'll let you know if I get increase gas mileage from it.

AndyIlles

Jim...

I didn't mean to be disagreeing with you... K&Ns are good filters, they do have superior flow as well as filtering abaility.  What I meant was that every single filter we tried (literally dozens)... from El-Cheapo K-Mart specials to "super filters"... flowed better than even tweaked intake systems needed.  We used measured amounts of drywall dust.  On the down-side, since the K&Ns and other "premium" filters trap particles finer than can possibly hurt any engine (NONE passed harful-sized particles), they also load up faster since they're trapping finer particles than they need to, so in that respect, Frams etc. actually were better in the long run.

I guess my point is that I guess the air filter issue's pretty much the same as using 110 octane aviation gas in an 8:1 compression engine.  Yeah... that high octane's there...  but it's an overkill you can't make use of.  

Oil filters, on the other hand, are a different issue since oil keeps circulating (instead of getting burned up in combustion and blown out the exhaust like stuff in the intake air).  Spend what you save on air cleaners on the finest oil and oil filters you can find... and change 'em often.

handyman

I agree they over kill but we drive alot so to me it's worth it and the K&N can be cleaned, were getting ready to buy a one ton Dodge dueley with the cummings and it's going to get the hole intake system and a chip were going to be pulling a 17000 lb fifth wheel and I wont all the power I can get to get over the mountins in Oragon, like everthing else it's my views all I do is try to help people with what I'v learned and messed up on and thats been a bunch over the years :lol:  :lol:   Jim

LARRY RAY

I'm with Andy on this one. Right now, I'm in the process of converting to a large air horn filter canister and running the inlet hose to the front of the home. With increased air and it being forced in a little i'm sure it will help. As for the oil, and filter, I have switched to mobil 1. 15-50 with the miles on my clipper. My 98 Chevy truck now has 180,000 and still runs great. oil changed at 15,000 anf filter every 3. Cost a little more, yet worth it's wait in gold. Can only hope and pray my litle clipper can do the same.
ACOC# 3514
1978--821F-- ser#48851 440 Dodge  Built on a Dream--Still a Dream.  Let's all keep it that way.