News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Leak over my sink on the rear kitchen

Started by bigray, June 29, 2004, 09:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigray

Hi All,

I have a leak in the rear of my motor home. It's in the upper-right corner of the large rear window.

I've removed to screw molding to make sure it wasn't coming from there and sealed the windows real good. If fact I took a syring and injected water in every thinkable place.

I think the leak is originating from the seal around the A/C and running to the lowest spot which happen to be my rear window.

Has anyone else experience this. Is changing the seal for the A/C a real monster?

handyman

Big Ray another place to check is your bathroom vent whitch goes up thruogh your bath cabnet and through the roof also your kitchin vent is a real good place to look at if you havent done it already dig out the old sealent and redo it anyway

cat

Another suggestion, which appears in a old newsletter, is to remove all the clearance lens and fill the void around the wires with silicon to prevent leakage.

bigray

Thanks Gents,

I've replaced all of my clearance lights. I'm going to  clean and reseal my bathroom and kitchen vents. I think the leak is around the a/c though. One things for sure, I shouldn't have any more leak for quite some time when I'm done.

HPotter

I had a leak in our rear kitchen that came out thru the light fixture over the sink. It turned out to be coming in where the ladder attached to the roof. I chiselled away the old sealant and replaced it with fresh RTV and no more leak.
Harold, #886

bigray

Hi Folks,

Here is an update.

I started replacing all the sealant on my roof the Saturday before the 4 of July. I changed everything - the A/C seal, both rear vents seals, the front escape hatch assembly and seal, the ladder mounts seals, the roof rack months seals, refrig vent seal, waste tank vent pipe seals.

Put it to you this way, if my rigs were to turn upside down in water right now it would float. I don't know exactly where the leak was coming from; however, I know for sure it won't leak anytime soon. My suspicion is that it was the roof rack mounts that caused the leaks. The screws were not tight/flush at all.

I used putty tap and marine goop from Home depot. I know that the marine goop was overkill; however, I didn't want a leak anytime soon.

The A/C install like most things on our Clippers was an A-1 job. I had to remove the whole A/C to repair the seal. I don't think the seal was the source of the leak; however, I reinforce to just to be sure.

dig

bigray - that must have been a helluva job! Do you have any tips on chipping away the old sealant? I replaced the bathroom vent today and it took me longer to get that stuff cleaned off of there than it took to do the whole rest of the job. I was also concerned about damaging the fiberglass. Ended up using a large screwdriver to slowly pry up the old, hard stuff, then a scraper, then some steel wool, then a little alcohol (that was for me  :lol:  ).

I would like to reseal the other vents and such - any suggestions?

--dig

HPotter

When I remove the old sealant I use a wood chisel. It seems to work best.
Harold, #886

bigray

Great mines think alike. I used a wood chisel too. It was a nightmare getting the chalk from around the the little screw so that I could remove them.

Trust me it took a godawful long time. That's why I use the marine silicone from Home Depot. I knew I was not going to do it again anytime soon that why I wasn't too bothered by the time it took.