News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

shower valve - anyone know?

Started by AndyIlles, January 04, 2004, 09:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyIlles

Hello all.  Has anyone figured out how to get the shower valve off? ('76 rear kitchen) As much leaks out the back of mine as comes out the shower head.  Does the threaded hose bib screw out of the center "knob"?  Mine turns, but the bib hits the body. I don't know if these were all standard, so I have pics but don't know how to include them here, though I can email directly.

Thanx for any help.
AndyIllesTwo@AOL.com

AndyIlles

Hi guys.  I answered my own question.  If anyone else has a similar problem.. here's the fix.  The hose bib (what the shower hose screws onto) does screw out of that center "knob" jobbie.  It took vice grips, but it turned out.  Then, that center "knob" screws off.  Just remove the valve knobs, uncrew that thing... and the cover comes off.  There's a flat washer under the center thing, which I replaced with an o-ring.  Works perfectly now...      

susan-y

From your post in Jan 04 "Hi guys. I answered my own question. If anyone else has a similar problem.. here's the fix. The hose bib (what the shower hose screws onto) does screw out of that center "knob" jobbie. It took vice grips, but it turned out. Then, that center "knob" screws off. Just remove the valve knobs, uncrew that thing... and the cover comes off. There's a flat washer under the center thing, which I replaced with an o-ring. Works perfectly now.."    

Andy, I have a leak down the shower wall, from the faucet.  Is this what you were talking about?  This is the first time I have done a search and actually came up with the info I was looking for  :D .

bigray

I had a leak a couple of weeks ago and ended up changing the hose. I thought that I could extend the hose so that I could put water in the toilet; however, the fitting on each end are pressed on.

At any rate, I did notice that there are paper washers in mine. They had deterioated over the years. I'd try putting some new O rings in there and perhaps the would stop the leak. You should be able to get some at Home Depot, Lowes or some other hardware store. Just make sure you take the original ones in order to get the size right.

AndyIlles

Hiyya Susan (I assume)....

Yup, that's exactly what I was talking about.  That center "spigot" thing the shower attaches to is threaded and comes out.  Like Ray said, an "o ring" took care of the problem.   Just put some masking tape or something on your Vise-Grips (or whatever) jaws so you don't mar the chrome finish, the spigot jobbie turns right out, and you'll see where to put an o-ring.

Happy Clippering,
Andy

HungarianDude@AOL.com or 561-317-2282, if you need more help.

susan-y

Hey bigray and Andy, Hopefull I will fix the leak fixed this weekend.  Thanks for the proctecting the chrome tip.  I would of thought of it about a scratch to late!
I had hooked up the water and had the rig sitting in the driveway.  Over a couple days the gray tank filled and I came home to water coming out from under the clipper!!!   :?   Love it when its an easy (so I say now) fix!  Thanks a bunch, Sue

AndyIlles

Hiyya Sue.

From your last post, it sounds like you have leaky faucet washers, not the spigot leak Ray and I were talking about.  The leak we're talking about is only with shower on.... yours leaks even with the faucets shut, so you most likely just have bad washers. However, the fix is basically the same, you still have to take the spigot out to get at the faucet washers.  It's a LOT easier to do than it sounds here so don't be intimidated.  

If you don't already have a faucet washer assortment (they're flat or sortta cone-shaped discs with a hole in the center), you can get one at Home Depot/Lowes and pick one up.  A lot of other types of stores have them too, but you'll also want an O-ring for the spigot Ray and I discussed while you're at it (auto parts stores also carry O-rings).  O-rings come in a variety of diameters and thicknesses, so you'll wanna take the spigot with you for a match since only a very thin one will work.

Once you have the knobs and spigot off, the escutcheon flops off.  You'll see a "nut" on each valve - they're the packing nuts which retain and seal the valve stem in the valve body - turn those out (best to use a little crescent wrench... it won't chew the nuts up).  Then, put the valve handles back on and turn them out (like turning the water on).  At the end of the stems you'll see the washer retained by a screw.  Remove the screw and pry the old washer out.... reverse the procedure to put it all back together.  When you're replacing the packing nuts, get them snug enough that you feel a little "resistance" while turning the handles... if there's any drip from around the valve stem with the faucet open, tighten the nuts a little more.. just not so tight that the valves are hard to turn.

If you run into any trouble - you shouldn't, but.... 561-317-2282 any time before 11 PM, EST.  Good luck...  :D

Andy

AndyIlles

susan-y

:oops:   That answer your question?  Just havent made the time yet. To much "holiday stuff" going on (yeah, thats right, holiday stuff)  Now I can't do it cause.... Kate and I are taking off to P'cola this weekend to see just what the  *&^% is going on with my house.  To many insurance adjusters are calling and telling me different things.  Need to go see for myself.  No the clipper won't be going.  Not enough $$ in the bank to keep its tank full for that long a trip.

bigray

Have a great trip. Good Luck with the repairs. If you come through Houston give me shout!

AndyIlles

Sue...

This has nothing to do with your Clip.... but rather, Fla insurance.  A few weeks after the last storm, Gov. Bush adopted a policy requiring ins companies to pay up within something like 2 weeks after a claim.  Might be worth your while to call the Fla. Ins. Commissioner's office to ask about that before you make the trip (might be on the web too).  Then, load your Glock before you talk to ins adjusters...  :x

Ins adjusters are jerking everyone around down there.  My claims were not only initially denied cuz (while I was visiting here in NY) my Mexican caretaker innocently told the adjuster who'd come to photograph damage after the first one that "Mr. Andy live in NY now" - but my policy was also cancelled!!!!!  Ready for this??   They used that statment to argue that it wasn't my "primary" residence.... groan.  They weren't done after I got the state ins commission involved in that one and got them to reverse... then they wanted to charge me separate ($20,000) deductibles for the 3 storms.

Good luck!!!!!!!!   And good shooting...  :D

susan-y

Ok, mine isn't that bad.  Just have had 3 different wind adjusters, and I am on my fourth or fifth flood adjuster. The newest flood adjuster wants to rip up my hardwood floors ( about the only thing worth a &^%$ in my  house) .. that is what has me going down.  Also the day of the storm my renter stopped paying, so he is being evicted.......   :roll:

Yeah, here I am complaining about troubles with a rental house when there are people sleeping in cardboard boxes!!! But hey... everything is relative!  Hope ya'll have a good Christmas!