News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Thermostat

Started by bcoxsey, August 11, 2003, 05:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcoxsey

Question for anyone who may be able to answer... I have a 1978 Clipper with a Dodge 440 and A/C... It either has a clogged radiator, or a bad thermostat as it tends to run a little hot (even at night when it's cool out). I was driving up a hill and had to give it a little gas, and all of a sudden the temp shot up, so I eased up on the gas and the temp subsided. I tried to see if I could change out the thermostat, but could not get to it without having to pull thew A/C unit out, and in order to do that I would have to get a special tool to pull the pulley off on the A/C unit. So, as far as I can tell, it is almost impossible for me to replace the thermostat. So I took a screwdriver and forced the thermostat open manually and it is open all the time now and it does not get up to operating temperature... So, am I going to be stuck paying someone $1200 or so to change the thermostat because they have to pull all of the rest of the crap out to just get to it? If this is the case, I am going to have them replace the water pump and rod out the radiator as well. Anyone can either respond or email me at: bcoxsey@hotmail.com

Thanks! ;o)

cat

There is two ways the thermostat can be mounted.

Either directly in the block or (the preferred method)above the A/C bracket.  If you'll notice,  the thermostat housing has a slight c'bore to accept the thermostat.  As for as getting to the thermostat I believe the A/C bracket (after loosening and even removing a bolt or two) can be swung up enough to allow you to remove the thermostat.  When replacing, install a gasket between the block and A/C bracket then the themo. housing with gasket using sealant (HiTack).  When you have to replace thermo. it's a cinch.  This is based on my experience with '77 440's.

handyman

Brian it's not a easy job but there is a great tool for it go to kragen or auto zone and get a distribater wrench it has a 1/2 on one end and a 9/16 on the other and it comes apart in the middle so you can turn it in different directions make sure you get the 1 1/2" opening not the 1" it makes a big difference you might have to go to a speed shop to get one you have to go from both ways to change it also front and from the inside good luck also you don't have to pull the compressor  to change the water pump look back through the old forms and youll find a way to cut your fan schraod in half so comes out faster  

Richard Peterson

Jim is right about the tool needed to remove the thermostat.  You need not move the a/c compressor or bracket on a 440.  It helps to remove the radiator hose first and then you can get to the bolts holding the thermostat housing.  For what it's worth, when I replaced the thermostat I also replaced the corroded housing with a new one from Dodge.  I could never stop it from leaking until I realized it was not even on the side connecting to the engine    .  A little work on a saw table and emery cloth brought it a level surface and stopped the leaking.  The proper thermostat is one with a big bore and you can find them under racing types in a Auto Zone store.  180 degrees is the stock temp.
Richard Peterson

airsmith006

We decided (after driving through the Mojave Desert during the hottest part of the afternoon: 120 degrees F) to redo the whole cooling system.  We stripped the front of the engine, radiator, water pump, and replaced a bunch of other stuff while we were in there.  We installed a high-flow thermostat, new hoses, new water pump (the old pump looked good, but was VERY hard to turn.  ie bad bearings)  and had the radiator (the largest available) acid dipped and repainted.  After that, it made a HUGE difference.  We still go through the Mojave during the day, and while she runs warm, we pull a trailer with a quad and she doesn't over heat (she still runs in the normal range).  We additionally added a powered thinline fan which I wired for manual operation.  When we start up a steep grade, or on a hot day, I run the fan which drops my temp 15-20 degrees F.
I have photos of our work if you are interested, just drop me an email.  We did not have to do anything to the AC Compressor (sitting on top) to get out the thermostat.  I used an open wrench which connects to a 3/8 ratchet head to get to the back bolt on the thermostat retainer.  I can definitively say the work we did (about 6 hours total) was WELL worth the cooler running.
Let me know if anyone wants the photos.
Kevin

bcoxsey

I would like to see the photos... I still cannot see how I am going to be able to tackle this job... Everything is just so tight around the engine. I have sufficed for right now by jamming the thermostat stuck open, but it is not right, and I will not be taking the Clipper out any time soon becaus eof this problem. I think I am going to have to take it in to a good shop and have them do the job right. I went to a local RV shop and the guy there showed me someone's bill for towing about 25 miles for thier 26' Class A rig, and it was over $400.00... Does anyone know of a decent tow insurance plan, I know AAA does not normally cover RV's. Is Good Sam Club any good? Just curious to see anyone's input here. Thanks!

Plante

We have belonged to AAA for many years so when we got the Clipper we added RV coverage.  The additional cost was very minimal.

Shayne

Brian,
I just replaced my thermostat a couple weekends ago.  The guys are right, it's all bout having the right tool.  I had heard that a distributor wrench would work, but I had a 9/16" socket with a U-Joint in it.  It has to be the kind that the U-joint is part of the short socket or it will be too tall.  I didn't have to remove or even loosen the AC Compressor.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the old gasket material off. But a razor blade and some patience worked fine for that.  

If you were a bit closer I'd come over and help you do it.

Sears Item #00943264000
Craftsman Model #43264
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

bcoxsey

I don't live too far from you... I live near Salinas, in Gonzales, but my Clipper is down in Lompoc, CA at my parent's house. I am too scared to try and take it up the Cuesta Grade until I get it fixed. Thanks for the info... I will look into the tool(s) you all have suggested...