News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

Towing

Started by kosales, March 28, 2003, 06:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kosales

Hi I have a 1976 21' clipper on a dodge 440, It has extra trans cooler and nice in cab for trans temp. The hitch is a class III. I also have air bags. My question is I race cars and have a 20' enclosed tailer. Do you think it will tow it? or how much do you think it will handle? Thanks Bill
kosales@pacbell.net

handyman

hi Bill first off has the frame been strenthend or is the hitch just wielded to the frame Clippers have a bad habbet of saging of the rear frame mine has because my dad towed a Volvo around have it checked out you have the towing capasity and the power just watch the cooling good luck

kosales

Jim the hitch was just bolted and weld. but I welded some reinforce steel from the hitch to the frame about 10" long. it seem to help but I still notice the rear door on the rv sticks a little when you open it. What else can I do? Thanks Bill

kosales

Also the trailer with everything is about 7000lbs. total. Thanks Bill

handyman

Bill go back through the old forums and youll find a repair to the frame that will strighten it and bring it back to specs

Horst

Just my opinion, but pulling 7,000 lbs with a 10,000+ pound Clipper is REALLY pushing the safety limits, regardless of hitch strength, trailer brakes, etc.
I wouldn't do it.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

kosales

Thanks Horst for the input. Bill

kosales

Just a thought, Why I am asking this question is I see the some newer class c rv's pulling race trailers when we go to the races. If they pull with them why can't I. Thanks Bill

Guinnessecco

Quite an overhang, a long distance from the rear tires to the hitch so the trailer will tend to steer the vehicle.  Front end will be light.  If you can get a LONG tongue on the trailer, this will help considerably.  Not sure if Pull-rite trailer hitch is available for this application, but it does result in a long tongue with the load placed near the rear axle with handling much like a fifth wheel trailer.  Be aware that you will need superior breaks on the trailer.  The 727 transmission in this RV is a strong unit, but if you overheat it on a hot day and a long hill, you can fry it.  Put a transmission fluid temperature gauge on it.  You can go with synthetic trans fluid and avoid the foam problem that happens with ordinary fluid when it gets really hot.  To keep the rubber parts and seals from getting hard, you should keep the transmission fluid below 212 degrees farenheit.  Make sure the radiator is like new.  Take it to a radiator shop and have them rod it out.  It will also help the transmission run cooler since the radiator dissipates heat from the transmission.

Horst

I'm just saying that I would not feel safe with a Clipper of our vintage towing a 7,000lb trailer. We have a considerable overhang (as noted) and not the greatest wheel base.
Other people you mention pulling similar trailers with Class C's? Some of their set-ups may be like yours, others may be "better".
Hey, I've seen people pull 10,000 lb trailers with Chevy Blazers - doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do. What a vehicle will "pull", and what a vehicle will safely tow, are two entirely different things.
Rest assured that about 25-35% of people towing have set-ups, that in my opinion, are not safe.
Just my 2 cents.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.