News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Driving a Clipper fast....

Started by Horst, November 22, 2001, 06:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

I now have three friends who purchase Clippers after I did - but none of them has joined the Club....yet.      

Anyways, these are young guys (late 20s early 30s) and they drive their Clippers too fast!

Call me conservative, but anyone drining a Clipper over 60mph is just asking for trouble, and horrible gas mileage, and hot manifolds.

I drive 55mph - it's relaxing, the engine loves it, and should I blow a tire, or have to take evasive action, I have a chance to pull it off. At 70mph, you're pretty much toast.

Just my 2 cents  
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Shayne

I'm 31. I usually drive right at 60 on the highway, unless I'm the only one out there, then its more like 55. Otherwise I feel like I'm just a moving roadblock. In the heat, I find that we do need to come down to 55 or the temp starts to rise.

BTW - Horst, I was kidding about the both hands over 80 thing    (though you might let your friends know it would still be a good idea) And tell them to get with the program and join the club.
Shayne Barr
ACOC #3146

Horst

Shayne,
I know you were kidding about going 80.
But my brother-in-law bought his Clipper (77, 440, 821F) from a guy who said he did 75-80mph all the time.
"I just want to get there" he said.

So Iasked what kind of mileage did he get at that speed.

"Oh, 4 to 5 miles per gallon" he said, without even a flinch.

I've seen wind resistance calculations and other data which indicates you're MUCH better off driving 55 than even 62. Besides, the truck speed limit (which a surprising number of truckers are beginning to obey) is 55 on many freeways now.

Horst (who drives 55 and loves it at 9 to 10mpg under ideal conditions, Dodge 360 with Edelbrock carb and intake and aircleaner)
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

tdonato1

Horst Wolf- How do I join the club?

handyman

Go to the home page and forms print out the form for joining the club and send it with a check for $20.00 your in  

larry harts

i am in the process of puting edelbrock performer intake and there performer 650 cfm carb on my dodge 360 ,, so far i have found out the carb linkage hits the egr valve so am in the process of tetting there 2696 spacer , and just ordered there 8003 and 8004 linkage  parts to go from the two barell to the four barel, haven't gotten to the air cleaner yet but did order a 3/4 inch spacer for one,, what type of aircleaner did you use, and did you have any other problems getting everything to work,,, cheers

lisa bergman

My clipper will only go 55mph.  60 if I really push her.  If I set the cruise at 60 she slows down to 55 and stays there.  I can never get the cruise to stick at anything over 55.  I just figured that was as fast as she would go.  Now I wonder if I have a problem?

dkmartin

I have a 78 clipper 440 I just got back from a trip that I ran 65 miles per hour on and got 8 miles to the gallon. I know that sounds bad at first. But if you add up the payments I dont make it sounds pretty good!

perrykolb

Lisa  I had the same problem with my 76 360 821f  I installed a fresh air tube from the air cleaner to up beside the radiator  helps bring in cool fresh air    I run between 60-65    I get 7+mpg I`ve got a holly throttle body injection    I do agree the best mpg and overall best clipper experiance is at 60-     happy clipper`in

Robert P. Anderson

Hi Lisa   You didn't say weather you have a 360 or 440 engine. You should get more than 60 out of either one of them.They have a problem with the sparkplug and wires running to the right rear plug(the one on the passinger side toward the rear of the motorhome).On many of the speed controls on the older modles you have to activate the speed control at a higher speed and they  will slow down 3 to 5 mph for cruising. There is an adjustment on the control under the doghouse that can adjusted, but is a little hard to find.