News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

All kinds of cab work

Started by Howard Bullit Stubbs, April 09, 2017, 03:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard Bullit Stubbs

Lots of work going on in and around the cab, mostly mechanical. Removed non-op AC, new valve cover gaskets and fabricating new heat shields.
Gone - AC compressor and all related equipment, including condenser in front of radiator. Removed mounting bracket from the front side of AC compressor and put it back on the engine in order to mount an idler pulley for the alternator belts. Ordered a Dayco 89056 Idler pulley, which is used on 1989-1992 dodge ram P.U. with a 360 cu. in. engine, non- AC. I'll have to make a short bracket for this which will then bolt on to AC mounting bracket.
Heat shields are going to bolt on to the valve covers at the lower 4 bolts. I'm going to line them with exhaust header heat wrap. Then we  will apply new heat barrier insulation to the engine cover.
Have to remove a section of floor under drivers seat and weld in a new section. I wish I could find NOS floor pan and just cut out a patch section from that, can't find one. I guess I'll have to be creative. When the floor is done,down goes the new carpet.
And if that's not enough work for right, my wife is tackling all new cushions, foam and fabric. She's bought the foam and the fabric and is hard at it.
Well this is one old Clipper that will be relived. When I can get photos posted I will.

P.K. :) 

Toedtoes

Taking out the AC parts will open up the engine compartment nicely and eliminate any heat issues you may have had. It's so nice, I can feel the breeze coming through. It also makes it a lot easier to reach things in there.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello PK,
Well Seems Like You Have A Project Ahead Of You, Good Luck.

Under My Cab Carpet & Mat Material, I Installed A Product Called Dynamat, One Box contains 36 Sq. Ft. It Is A Sound Deading & Reduces Road Noises &  Vibration. & Keeps Heat Down. Its A little Costly But Works Great. I Also Put A Better Padding Under Carpet Also. This Makes It Real Comfortable In Cab Area In Summer Cooler & Winter A Lot Warmer.

Also Used Special Heat Res. Foil Backed In Dog House, There Are Some Posts On Web Site. Note: I Found 2000 Degree Foil At Oriellys Auto Parts. Use Caution On What Stuff You Use They Can Catch On Fire & Burn Clipper.

On Heat Shields They Are Mounted Just Inside Of Cut Out & Mounted 3ea. 1/4" Tapping Screws.

Hopes This Helps, If You Have Any Question Please PM Me.

Joe   
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,

What About Mentioning To Save All Your Old A/C Parts Removed Just In Case Next Owner Wants A/C Put Back On.

But It Has Worked Well On Your Clipper.

Joe
ACOC#3749

rvanarsdale

Wish I could find the time/money to do something similar to my a/c. I think it might work, shockingly, but I don't use it.
Good luck!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Howard Bullit Stubbs

The idler pulley bracket with the pulley is mounted and the alternator belts are adjusted. I took photos. I'm adding a fresh air vent at the passengers feet. I removed the cover that blocks off the hole there and got another vent door that's at the drivers feet. We'll just mount it upside down on the passenger side and it will open up the same way as the drivers side. Then we'll trim the panel below the glove box so the passenger can reach down to the vent to open and close it.
Those vents at your feet sure do let in lots of cool air. Seems like all the cars back in the sixties had them, remember when you opened one up on a cool summers night and just about froze!
I have a question for you guys. Is there a photo posting link site that people find preferable, simple, works best for them? I'm better with hand/machine tools than I am with the computer. Thanks

rvguy101

i left my ac stuff in,. i did add Heat Res, in the dog house,. i did add Padding, where i want more, or better,. & as for the photo posting link site,. try photobucket, it easy for me,.
77 dodge clipper, with 20,000 miles. & a 85 Vogue motor coach diesel 35 foot.

Clipper Joe

Hi Howard,

I Added The Dynamat To The Cab Floor & Put A Heat Style Pad On Top Of It.
It Can Be Well Over 100 Degrees Out Side & Clipper Is A lot Cooler Now.

I Also Added A Hood Scoop On Hood & Lets Cool Air Pass Through.
The More You Instulate The Better Things Are. Would Like To See Your Modification On Passenger Vent.
I Always Use My Driver Vent.

Try PhotoBucket To Put Your Clipper Photos In Then Just Add Link To Share.

Joe 

ACOC#3749

Howard Bullit Stubbs

The vent door came this afternoon, UPS. So I got right on it. It is installed and I trimmed the panel below the glove box so you can reach down,swing the latch and open it up. When my wife came home she tried it and said that will work fine...... so it must be OK. I have to take it back off and put a seal strip on it. I'll get some photos of it..
I like the hood scoop idea, that must help a lot. I think a cold air intake, located in the plenum below the windshield, to the air cleaner assembly would also help a lot. This is something else that I want to do.
It's suppose to rain tomorrow so I'll spend some time inside and see if I can get set up on "photo bucket" and get all these photos that I have available for people to view.

P.K.

Toedtoes

When posting photos, be sure to keep them below the maximum size allowed for the website.  You can post a photo that is no bigger than 300KB and you can add 2 photos per post.

I know this seems a pain, but our server space is donated by an ex-Clipper owner and we don't want to fill up his server space with a bunch of huge photos.

You can find the size of your photo by going to File>Properties.  If you need to size down, you can use Paint or most any photo editing software.  Just remember to keep your original large photo file (each time you make a jpg image smaller, the computer throws out data it doesn't think you need - and that means you can't make it bigger again without it being pixelated).
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Howard Bullit Stubbs

Update on "stubby"...... The cab and house work continue. Heat shields are installed along with new valve cover gaskets. I put a high heat resistant welding fabric on top of the heat shields. With the engine running you can put your hand on the fabric and not get burned, it's definitely quite hot but you wont get burned. I found refractory insulation on ebay, used on kilns,forges,furnaces, that I will use to insulate the doghouse. I think it's good for 2400* F.
I put on a cold air intake duct for the carb. It pulls in cold air from below the windshield washer fluid tank and right next to the radiator. So the intake air is now coming from right behind the grill, cool air - not the hot air from behind the radiator. Cool air with a little more oxygen should help the engine run better. The cost at the hdw. store for the materials was $ 28.03. One 3" dia. flex vent tube X 8', one 90* adjustable elbow, two hose clamps and two 3" vent caps.
I have photos and will get them all posted.... sorry I haven't gotten any posted yet, but I will.
My wife has half of the new cushion covers sewed up and they look really good. She put long zippers that go around two corners about 4" so it will be easy to get the covers on the new foam.
One last note... at idle 440 monster mopar has 60 psi oil pressure!!!! and I'm happy!!!

P.K. 8)

Howard Bullit Stubbs

Installed a 3" muffler and tail pipe today. Went with a 2.5" to 3.0" reducer/increaser at the end of the "Y" pipe into the muffler. Much less back pressure now. We are going to take a road trip starting next week,we'll be out about four weeks and we'll see how all the changes we've made work out.