News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

A Labor of Love, a long time coming

Started by merrybarry, May 03, 2015, 06:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merrybarry

Finally we are ready to get our Clipper back on the road.  A wedding gift to us in 1995 from Dawn's parents the Clipper has rested peacefully among our many other vintage vehicle projects.  About 10 years ago we replaced the engine but were not able to complete the overhaul in time for the trip we were planning.  About two years ago we replaced to original refrigerator with a new one and had to modify the enclosure to fit it in.   Last year we finally got the "new" engine running after including a re-manufactured transmission.  This year after much effort we passed the CA Smog test and got it registered, then discovered we needed to change to 16" rims in order to put new tires on.  This done we still have some cosmetic things to do like new carpet, some carpentry work left to repair water damage on ceiling and a new floor in the lavatory which we had to remove in order to find the cluster of wires that had been chewed through by uninvited guests.   There are so many minor issues (like the broken turn signal actuator) that turn out to be week long projects.  Its a good thing we are retired.
   The club web site has been most helpful and we look forward to meeting up with some of the many members who have contributed to this labor of love.

Clipper Joe

Hello & Welcome Merrybarry,

It Seems Like You Have Had The Do The Same To Your Clipper As I Have, I Bought A 1977 Dodge Rear Kitchen, 440 Ci. ;)

I Got "Wilson" In 2001, I Got It From 2nd Owner, Who Did Not Take Good Care Of Him At All, First Owners Had Really Enjoyed Him & Toured Most Western States, They Put Most Of The Mileage On.

The First Thing Was I Pulled Motor & Trannie, Completely Rebuilt Engine & Transmission, Installed Extra Heavy Duty High Volume Oil Pump, RV Grind On Cam Shaft, Installed Eldebrock Carb, Installed A Re-Cored Super Duty 4 Core Radiator, New Hayden Thermo Fan Clutch, Installed Copper Exhaust Gaskets, & Put Mr.Gasket 160 Degree Thermostat, Super Cool Water Pump Also.
Then My Wife Had So Medical Issuses, So My Clipper Was On Hold For About 10 Years.

Then A Few Years Back I Spent About 8-10 Monthes & Went On To Finish Him, There Are A Few Misc. Things I'm Finishing Up. ;)

Yes These Clippers Are A Labor Of Love.

Are You Going To May Rally In San Jaun Baptista? If So Hope To See You Soon & Swap Clipper Storys?

What Year Is Your Clipper? And You Said You Had To Calif. Smog Are You In Northern Or Southern Calif?

Take Care & Happy Camping,

Joe & Denise

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

merrybarry

Hi Joe and Denise,

Thanks for your comments, sounds like you too have deep inside the beast.  We're not quite ready for the road yet.  I just got parts to replace my turn signal actuator and to make a solid state repair for the gauges that are not working.  We won't be at the May rally due to other plans but certainly we will meet up at some point.  Our Clipper is a 1976 and we're located in Pope Valley which is in Northern Napa County between Saint Helena and Lake Berryessa. 
Look forward to meeting you in person.  Barry and Dawn

Clipper Joe

Hi Barry & Dawn,
Thanks For The Update, Sorry To Hear You Can't Make Rally In May, They Will Be Having More.
I Live In Bay Area, I Have A Retired Friend In Napa, They Are Down The Road From St. Helena By SR Trail.
Very Nice Up There, A Lot Of Wine Tasting. ;D

Take Care & Feel Free To Ask Any Questions, There Are Many Clipper Folks In Clipper Land..

Joe & Denise
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

kenmel

Ken and Melissa, 1978 821 FIT, rear kitchen. ACOC #3805