News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

What is the material used to make the 1977 awnings?

Started by clearblueskymind, November 13, 2014, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clearblueskymind

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this question.  I didn't see a more appropriate place.  But apparently some awnings are now made with vinyl.  I'm planning to apply some weather protectant to my original 1977 awning and after reading the label on the protectant it says not to use on vinyl.  I don't think it's vinyl but I just wanted to ask and see if anyone knows for sure. Thank you. Richard

Clipper Joe

Hi Richard,
Welcome Back :D
Glad To Hear You Are Now Settled In & Working On Your Clipper.
Most Awnings Were Installed As Options,
A & E Is A Major Supplier Of Them.
They Refer The Awning Material "As Fabric" But It Is in Most Cases 13 Oz. Tri-Laminate Vinyl.
They Use Them On 1/4" Rope@ Head Rail.

They Have Real Nice Replacement Awning Material On E-Bay.
& Maybe Worth Checking These Out.

On My Awning Had A Few Pin Hole Leaks, I Used Some Marine Clear Silicone Sealant, Then Flatted With A Plastic Putty Knife. Sealed It Well Enough.

I Want To Replace Mine With A American Flag. When I Get To That Project. They Have A Site On Internet.
Steve Fine Posted A Link.

How Is Your Awning Fabric? Is It Brittle? Or Just Weathered?

Let Us Know How You Make Out?
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

clearblueskymind

Hello Clipper Joe,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, my awning is quite weathered with many pin holes.  I've already bought this 303 spray sealant from amazon.com as it was advertised for "all fabrics" and had many wonderful reviews. Then, when I got it, it says not to use on vinyl. Thus my inquiry into what my awning is made of. My awning is a sort of off green and white stripes. As you suggest it may be made of a vinyl material,  I'm gonna call the company today and find out what kind of damage they are talking about when used on vinyl. I really wanted to repair it rather than  replace it. So, time will tell.  Thanks again for your help.  Kindly, Richard