News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Clipper Specs

Started by Toedtoes, September 13, 2014, 11:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

I thought I'd post a sticky to identify certain basic specs of the clippers.  If you have information to add, please indicate if it is specific to engine (indicate 360, 440, Dodge, Ford, etc.) or clipper size (21 or 24).

This is for all clippers:

Fresh Water Tank - 40 gallons
Hot Water Tank - 6 gallons
Black Water Tank - 28 gallons
Grey Water Tank - 28 gallons
Propane Tank - 50 pounds

Fuel Tank - 36 gallon OR 50 gallon
Many owners added a second tank - usually of one of the above capacities. If a 1977 or older has a 50 gallon tank, it is aftermarket.

Fridge - 6 cu ft (up to 1977); 7 cu ft (1980); 1978 & 1979 unknown - if someone knows please post

Heater - 16,000 btu (1977); 22,000 btu (1980); please confirm other years

Sleeping capacity (per company specs - actual use may vary):
2 - cabover bunk
2 - dinette sleeper
2 - couch sleeper
2 - bunk beds

Dry weight (21 ft) - 7210 lbs

Length (21 ft) - 20' 6" bumper to bumper

'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Toedtoes,
Great Info,

Do You Have Info On Air Bags, Did They Put On Clippers After Or On 1978 Up,
My Wilson Did Not Come With Them.
I Installed AfterMarket, Firestone Air Bags From SD Springs, Best Investment, & Really Add To The Ride I Pump Up To About 55 Psi. Also, Helps With Swaying Of The Rear.
These Were Real Easy To Install. 1-10 About 7.5, The Most Time Was Securing Air Hose Lines.

Joe

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Toedtoes

Air bags were not available 1977 and older.  They were optional in 1980.  I do not have information for 1978 or 1979.

Clipper Joe

Hi,
Wonder If Mel Would Have Info?
I Need To Ask Him, What He Has Left From When Clipper Factory Has Shut Down.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Sfine

Our Clipper has rear air bags, 1979..on a 1978 chassis. 

RM66E is the model # on the frig. I don't see Sq. Ft.   It's the original Dometic, looks like including the freezer, could be 7.

Curious:
Do we all have the fresh water tank under the eating area benches like our 78 ? I would be very surprised if ours was 40 gallons, I'm thinking 30 at best. Being a painter, I can tell you that 8, five gallon buckets of anything would never fit in the tank we have.     Kinda hard to measure, guess I could get dimensions and do the math....I'll let you know.!
1979 440 Dodge 21' Bunk      #3766
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

The specs I pulled on the fridge and water tanks were direct from American Clipper brochures for 1977 and 1980.  I haven't checked the one I have for 1975 yet.  But as the floorplan was the same from 1973 to 1977, the specs should be the same also.

All clippers should have their fresh water tank under the dinette seat - I don't think any model or year varied on this.

It's possible on the water tanks that the "official" capacity is 40gals, but the "actual" capacity is less.  I know on the fuel tanks, the official capacity is 36gals, but they only hold 30gals to provide for evaporation, etc.

Let's keep checking these against other documents found, etc. and see if we can't put a really good list together.

Clipper Joe

Thanks Steve & Toedtoes,
It Seems, We Need More Clipper Owned To Weigh In On This Spec List,
It Seems That A lot Of Members Enjoy Reading Posts & Info On This Forum,
But We Hardly See Much Imput. ???

So How About You Other Members Stepping Up & Help The Ones That Have Been Trying To Keep This Clipper Dream, For Years To Come Forward. ;)

Toedtoes, I Think All Clipper Water Tanks & Water Pumps Were On Left Side, As You Stated.
My 1977 Is Under Pull Down Bed, Pump By Electrical Plug.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

Up until the bunkhouse model, they had only one mold for the fiberglass shell.  That meant that no matter what floorplan they configured, it had to be able to fit with the pre-made holes in the shell.  So, the fresh water gravity fill had to remain in the same location regardless of the floorplan; the power cord compartment had to remain in the same location; the outdoor storage had to remain in the same location; etc. 

When they started making the bunkhouse floorplan, they had to create new fiberglass molds to allow for the different placement of the house door, outside fridge access, and the smaller rear window.

This is also why they only used Dodge B300 chassis (until the shortage forced them to use other brands).  The molds were built around the Dodge chassis to be the tightest fit in the industry.  They would have to have made molds for the other brands.

Oh, and another spec I just saw:

The 1977 American Clipper only came with the Dodge 440 engine.  The 1980 American Clipper came with a Dodge 440 or a Chevy 400 engine.

Sfine

Ha! Leave it to the "bunk house" model to screw up a good thing!!!   
When we got our Clipper, we didn't know there were other models and floor plans, this is what we got.  The bunk house has actually worked real well for just two of us.  There is mega storage in the two bunk beds that we fill with plastic stackable storage bins, and if/ when we do have a sleep over guest, it's a simple process to remove the bins.  Easy to spot by the center door, and the two little rear windows that serve each bunk. Each bunk has it's own reading light as well, Irv didn't miss much.

And you must also be correct in actual vs. Stated volume in tanks.  My tanks are as everyone else's, and in the same place, I can't imagine it's different as it fits snugly. I did some rough math, and tried a conversion chart,  cubic ft. Into gallons...I came up with 36 gallons, which is still surprisingly easy to use up if not being very frugal with the h20 !

Fun info for me on the bunk house to read, thanks!

Murphys, California

Sfine

BTW
Does anyone know when the bunk house first came out ?
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

The bunkhouse first came out in November 1977.

Clipper Joe

Hi,
It Seems, Would Of Been Nice To Have A Bunk House Model, Since I Pack So Much Stuff.
Most Do Not Have A Generator. That Would Be Great For Lawn Chairs & Tools, Camping Lanterns Etc.
I Like What Steve Said, Put In Plastic Totes.
Then Pick What You Need To Take.
I May Have To Re-Do Some Of My Stuff.
Top Cab Bunk is Full. Store, Camp Stove, Bar Be Que, Sleeping Bags, TV,Lanterns, Towels, & Beddings.
May Have To Set Up For Dry Camping, & Another For Full Hook-Up Outings. ::)

Joe
ACOC#3749

Mr. Garrison

I'm looking for information on tire size.
When I bought my Clipper, the previous owner put new 16" rims on the Clipper.  The tires on there are 215x85x16, and they rub BAD on the front fenders.
I had new shocks put on- but still rubbing-so it's got to be the wrong size tire.
Any suggestions on 16" rims?  I think the "85" needs to be "70" or "75".

Sfine

To my knowledge, they all originally came with 16.5 inch rims.
A lot of folks have changed to 16" due to the lack of readily available 16.5"'s out on the market. They still can be found with a little shopping or ordering.  And I believe that you are correct about the 85 vs. 75.
Ha..just ran out to check ours....it's having fiberglass work done so it's not home, odd to see it gone !
So I can't tell you for sure, but I remember 75.
ClipperJoe has all of this info stored in his brain, surely he can verify, or anyone else...?
I still have the 16.5 rims and am ready for new tires now, so I have been checking out the pros if any to keeping them, or going with the 16's for ease of replacement when needed. I'm happy with what came on it, so I'm leaning towards keeping that size and perhaps purchase an xtra spare, for future.
Safe travels
Steve
     Murphys, California

Toedtoes

My clipper is on the lift right now getting his wiring worked on, so I was able to easily check my tires.  I have 8.75R16.5LT - that was the size recommended on this forum when I first bought the clipper.

Like Sfine, I have felt that the 16.5 size works well on the clipper, so I'm not inclined to change it.  When I bought them, I ordered them online through Tire Rack and had them installed locally.  The local tire shop said they would order them directly in the future for me and match prices.  At the time, I ordered the 6 tires for on the clipper and left the spare alone.  I am planning on replacing the spare within the next year.  My logic is that the tires on the clipper will be 3-4 years old and will be more likely to have an issue, so a new spare at this point will be more helpful.  If you buy the spare at the same time as your "on vehicle" tires, then by the time the on vehicle tires start having issues, the spare will be older and subject to cracking, etc.