News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

New Clipper couple in AZ!

Started by Morganaire, August 16, 2014, 08:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toedtoes

Glad to hear you confirmed the ball joints.  There is supposed to be SOME play with them, which confuses some tire shops like the one I used - they didn't want ANY play in the ball joints. Having a trustworthy shop is a wonderful thing.

I like the idea of replacing the shower with shelving.  My plan is to add an outdoor shower setup to mine.  That way I can hose off dogs, myself, gear, etc.  Right now, I use the shower to store the canopy and the bird carrier and I hang my dirty laundry hamper in it.  Works well for that, but some shelving might be nice.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,
See You Are Moving Forward On The Massive Rear Project.

Did You Have A 12Vdc Wire & Ground @ Vent Frame? If Not You May Want To Add Incase You Want To Put A 14" Fantastic 8000 3 Speed Fan Instead Of Regular 14" Vent Cover.
Also In Bath Room, I Re-Routed Drain Vent Line, To Give More Toilet Space, Also, The Reason The Floor Is Raised Was For Access To Water Lines.
I Added A Corner Sink & Removed Long Sink & Cabinet.

I Know Each Is Own, Hope You Are Able To Share Some Photos With Wall Coverings Off, Will Sure Help Other Clipper Owners Who May Have Same Problems.

Thanks, Joe 
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Morganaire

Hi Joe,

Yep - the wiring is there!  Heading down into Phoenix tomorrow to pick up a few parts, including a new fan (we are up in the mountains east of Phoenix and don't have much in the way of RV supplies up here).

Was thinking about re-routing the vent in the bathroom - it's a good idea!  Be nice to have a little more elbow room in there  ;)

We certainly will share the photos we are taking.  I sure would have liked to have a better idea what I would find before I started pulling apart floors, walls and ceilings!

Ken

Morganaire

Well, she's in the shop getting new ball joints, control arm bushings, steering gear box and brake rotors/pads.  Once all the parts are in, it'll get aligned and we'll take her to the fabricator to get the frame rails extended and have new rear air bags and a dual exhaust system installed.

Now I have to take a little time off of the Clipper to get our 5th wheel ready to sell.   Somehow I ended up with one too many RV's!

Ken

Morganaire

Quick update - once the shop was done, Tank had new ball joints, control arm bushings, steering gear box, power steering pump, and front brake rotors and pads.  New alignment is done, and he is resting safely at the fabricator now awaiting the frame modifications.  70 mile trip to Phoenix in 100+ degree weather was hot, but uneventful (next project:  air conditioning service!!!!)

Ken

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken,

Sounds Like Your Projects Are On Track ;) Have Not Done My Front End Yet, Have All The Parts To Do, It Is On The Wish List. Of Many To Do's.

How Was The Drivable After The New Work On Front End? Besides The Heat?
There Is A Few Of Us Are Working On Trying The Get Rid Of Some Of The Heat, I Have Installed A Hood Scoop On 'Wilson' Going Away For A Needed Outing, & Should Get A Good Test, Also Have Done Some Heat Sealing On Inside Of Doghouse & On Cab Flooring, & Have Covered Outside Of Doghouse, Installed Nice Pocket To Store GPS,Maps & Stuff. Also Wrapped Fuel Line Don't Want To Vapor Lock. So This Trip Should Give A Good Run, Will Check Closely MPG. Will Be Pulling Boat & Trailer So Will See.

Have You Been Able To Upload Any Photos Yet?

Good Luck Looking Forward In Seeing The Rear End Support?

Joe & Denise 
ACOC#3749

Morganaire

Hi Joe -

Trip to PHX was fine.  Lots of terrain to climb/descend between us and the Phoenix valley (we are up in Payson), but the Clipper did great.  Heat from the doghouse is definitely an issue - looking at a number of solutions such as Dynamat, etc, but haven't gotten anything yet.  The 440 did OK, but I wish it had a bit more "grunt".  The late '70's tore the heck out out of compression levels and HP output on these motors, and short of a total rebuild there isn't much outside of carburation/exhaust that can be done to improve performance...but getting down to 50mph on grades isn't going to cut it for us.  Going to have to figure out something  ;)  Anyway, heat from the doghouse was *BAD*.  Going to do some serious research into heat/sound insulation ASAP.  Looked at Dynamat and a few other sources - still deciding on the brand to go with (have to do something to save my right ankle!!).  We have a snorkle on our Lexus SUV, and am thinking about installing something similar on the Clipper as a cold air intake.  Still working on uploading pics (have to task my better half on that!)

Good luck on your trip!

Ken

Morganaire

Well, word from my fabricator wasn't good.  His opinion of the engineering on the Clipper is less than flattering, and I have to say after talking with him I have to agree.  The rear of the unit has sagged to the point that the rear is 3 inches out of plane with the rest of the floor.  The best that they can do (and this is a top notch outfit) is to bring the rear up within 2" of plane, and reinforce it.  The grey tank will need to be replaced with something smaller, as there is no way I will trust anything heavier than necessary hanging back there.  The only thing holding up either of the water tanks are a few brackets attached through a couple of 2x4 supports...a seriously poor design, with literally no way to improve on it.  However well the rest of the motorhome may have been designed, the engineering from the Dodge frame rails back is horrible - there is NO metal framework supporting the coach aft of the frame rails, and outside of major (and expensive) re-working, there is no way to rectify the issue.  It is literally a failure waiting for a place to happen.  Pretty disappointing.

Toedtoes

From what I've heard and seen regarding class C manufacturing, this is standard.  Few have extensive framework done beyond the end of the chassis.  While it sounds awful, remember that these RVs have been driving the roads for 35to 40 years without those accidents happening.

The brackets to support the tanks is standard - some folks add straps to keep the tanks from dropping in the middle.

Clipper Joe

Hello,
I Have Seen Many Rear Supports Added To The Over Hang On Class C .
I Have Seen A Real Nice Set -Up At A RV Shop.
This Guy Had A 1978 Dodge Clipper.
He Had A Fab Shop Added A 1" Thick Plate X 8" Tall X 5 Foot Long On Both Sides Of Frame, On Left Side Plate He Had A 3 1/2"  Hole Cut-Out For Tank ABS Pipe, Then He Had  A Channel Iron Welded @ Rear, And Added A Welded Class 3 Hitch.It Supported Rear You Could Tow A House Behind His Clipper.

The Biggest Factor On Adding Rear Support Attachments Is To Remember, To Leave Access For Removal Of Black Water Tanks & Fuel Tank For Future Removal.

Joe
ACOC#3749

Morganaire

OK - It's been awhile, and we've covered a lot of ground in our Clipper.  The rear sub-frame has been re-enforced and the floor framing aft of the rear entrance completely replaced, as well as the ceiling framing in the same area (more rot found after pulling panels off).  All of the cabinetry has been removed and either replaced or refurbished.  New kitchen counter top.  The bathroom floor has been re-worked to be flush with the rest of the rear floor (much better than having a step-up into the bathroom, IMO).  New toilet, new pex water lines.  Considered new holding tanks, but upon inspection the existing tanks looked pretty  good, so left them alone...may need to replace the grey-tank blade valve, but otherwise good.  Shower area has been re-worked into a pantry.  Hot water heater has been removed (set-up to be replaced if needed, but we don't foresee a need for it while we own it).  All flooring has been replaced, and all existing upholstery is in the process of being replaced with appropriate colors.  All ceiling and floor areas have been re-wired and insulated as appropriate.  Over all, we are pleased with the outcome.  We have a few things to finish up (the biggest of which is whether or not to do new upholstery), we will put updated pics up.  As of now, we probably have the most renovated American Clipper on the planet :)  Enjoy...we certainly will! Pics can be seen at http://imgur.com/a/8da7x

We still have a bit of trim work to do (corners, etc).  Once done it should look pretty nice!  Let us know what you think, and let us know if you have any questions.

Ken and Tammy Morgan

Morganaire

OK, a lot of ground has been covered since our last post.  I have completely replaced a BUNCH of stuff...and that is an understatement.  Pretty much everything from the right of the entry aft has been replaced - floor, ceiling and walls.   New sub'floor, with necessary frame reinforcements, new floor and ceiling and floor framework, new pex water lines, new toilet, new propane lines, new pretty much everything.  Shower was taken out and replaced with a pantry.  Water heater was (temporarily) deleted since we had no need for hot water.  All flooring and interior walls have been replaced.  I'd replace the entry door if it wasn't so expensive.

This thing was a piece of crap when we started, and is way better now.

You can see a few pics of our progress at:

http://imgur.com/a/YpQaW

Clipper Joe

Hi Ken&Tammy,

You Real Did A Nice Job On Your Clipper :D
Sure Would Like To See A Few Photos, Of Rear Under Carriage On Your Rig.
That Was A Real Weak Point On Dodge & Chevy Clippers,
These Units Were On Maxi Vans. Would Have Been Nice If They Would Have Beefed Up From Factory.
I Know The Chevy Chassis Van Models, It's A Must To Support The Rear,  :-[If You Plan To Tow Anything.

It's Nice To Have A Rig That Is Made For Your Needs.

What Was The Reason To Remove Shower & Water Heater? Is It For Extra Storage? And Is It Able To Put In If You Ever Sell It? I Use My Shower A lot, I Go Fishing & Camping In The High Country, Shower Sure Feels Great After A Day Or Two Of Smelly Fishing.

Thanks For Sharing Your Venture, Looks Real Nice,

Joe & Denise
ACOC#3749

Toedtoes

I'm curious about the water heater and stove elimination.  I'm taking it you are only staying at full hookup locations and will be using the microwave or toaster oven for all your cooking.

I took mine camping this weekend in the rain.  I really liked being able to wash my hands and face in hot water without having to run through the rain to the campground restrooms.

I am pleasantly surprised how much you did keep to the original layout.  I was a bit concerned at first with your talk of gutting it.  But, it definitely has retained the "clipper feel". :)

Morganaire

Hey Toed -

We eliminated the shower because I just couldn't see myself or my wife ever showering in such a tiny space.  Hot water heater was deleted temporarily due to no shower, but hookups are all there for future use.  I considered utelizing n external LP water heater, should the need arise.  Honestly though, we have no plans to use the Clipper without access to full hookups, and have set it up well for the potential hunter rig (lots of them here).  It really does feel every part the vintage Clipper, but with a bit of modern flare.  Not sure what the future holds for our rig...we really don't need it, nor do our kids at this point.  I'm looking at it more as a learning experience now than anything...and I have learned A LOT.  It may be for sale before long...not sure, but it's just sitting in the garage for now...