News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Need Maximum Vehicle Weight for 21' Clipper, 1979

Started by Serenity, July 23, 2014, 10:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serenity

Just purchased my 1979 Clipper and I have to return to the DMV with the correct Maximum Vehicle Weight.

I have yet to pick up my Clipper and see it in person, so I cannot just "read it off the door jamb."  Would it be possible for any other 21' owner to read the numbers and post them here, please?
1979 Clipper (21') with a 440 CI engine, Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin... or more likely, on the road!!

Toedtoes

The door jam won't give you that information - it will only show the GVWR of the chassis.  I just checked my registration form and unfortunately it doesn't state the GVWR.

I believe the chassis was around 7000 lbs but I don't have my clipper here to double check.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hello DolphinJazz & Toedtoes,

Did Some Checking At A Few RV Forums, And Found, That GVW (Lbs.) Dry Wt. 7,200-7,700 Lbs. & Wet Weight 9,200-10,500 Lbs. Also Checked My 1977 Dodge Manual Its 3,900 Lbs. Per Axle.

Hope This Helps, I Know With Extra Weight Inside, You Have To Watch What You Tow.

Joe 

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Serenity

My guess was going to be a MAX gross vehicle weight (or, whatever they call the biggest number of all the numbers published for a vehicle) at 10,000 pounds.

I will honor the published figure of 10,500 pounds -- being quite happy for the extra 500 pounds...  and I really wish to thank you for digging that number out for me! 

I think the DMV has a column, 10,000... and the next column is 12,000.  So, I will round UP and pay the higher taxes.

My guess too is that we are restricted to towing a feather (as long as it is not wet or carrying any lice)!  Anything heavier will certainly put us over the MVW.  I know that the tongue weight of a trailer is about 12-percent of the gross weight of the trailer and contents... so, we're probably challenged in that area, especially if we travel with any fluids in the tanks or any personal belongings... or any humans or animals in the cockpit.  <sigh> 

(To be ***clear*** I am not saying that the Clipper won't pull another 8,000 pounds, or whatever.  I'm saying that a HUGE can of liability, legal, and safety worms are opened once one decides to just "wing it" and go against the recommendations of the manufacturer)

Thanks again, one and all.

Garrett
1979 Clipper (21') with a 440 CI engine, Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin... or more likely, on the road!!

Toedtoes

In regards to towing, part of the issue is how the tow package was installed.  Most were installed after market and so they vary a lot.  The metal chassis doesn't go all the way to the end of the RV length and many folks didn't want the expense of extending the chassis.  So, folks simply bolted the hitch to the plywood and off they went.

For my clipper, when I had it in at the RV shop, I asked them to check out my hitch.  I was told not to put more than 50lbs on it.  They said that towing wise, it wouldn't handle anything, and if I wanted to use a hitch cargo shelf, that the weight of the stuff would be banging up and down on the hitch and it wouldn't handle that for long.

If you're thinking of towing, get a qualified person to check it out first.
'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipper Joe

Hi DolphinJazz,

Get Into The Club As A National Member, There Is A Few Threads On Beefing Up Rear For Towing, As Toedtoes Stated.

Also If You Read The Main Clipper Flyer On Home Page, It Talks About Why They Never Installed Hitches.

We Have A Supply Officer, His Name Is Mel & He Tows Clipper Jr. To Annual Rally Meets. Also Have Had A Member Who Told Me He Use To Tow A Double Axle Horse Trailer With 2 Horses & Feed.

If You Have A Dodge 440 Cid That Will Pull Anything, It Is A Work Horse, Watch Your Tongue Wt. :o

It Is A Good Idea To Have Your Rig Weight Fully Loaded, As  Toedtoes Stated, Then You Can Go From There, Make Sure Braking Is All Working To A Tee- A lot Of Lbs. Going Down The Road.. 8)

The Scales Are For Big Trucks Over 2,500 Lbs & More,  I Have A Single Axle GMC Service Truck, It Is 2500HD & I Do Not Have To Go Through Scales Never Had A Problem In No. Calif. 

Hope This Helps,
Joe
1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher