News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Went to look at a Clipper today!!

Started by Clipperlover10-04, August 03, 2013, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clipperlover10-04

So I went to look at a clipper yesterday!! A 1979 dodge 440 side kit. model with 48000 original miles almost immaculate cond. for its age. The only things cosmetically wrong are 2 small leaks in ceiling, a few small cracks here and there in the fiberglass. It possibly needs a water pump for the house. There is no battery for the house, needs new back tires, needs air vent above bathroom. The water pump made noise but didnt really put off water. The guy wanted $4500, I offered him 3k but he was hesitant. It really is a nice 2 owner unit. Has plenty of manuals and service records. He has 2 others coming to look at it, do you think I should go for it? Probably the nicest clipper around with the lowest miles. Does not leak either. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK? Thank you clipper nation!!!!
1979 Dodge 440, 821 SK-FCIT, 50,000 original miles
ACOC 3765

Toedtoes

You wrote that there were just 2 small leaks in the ceiling and then at the end wrote no leaking.  I'm assuming that there are signs of prior leaking in the ceiling?  If so, where in the ceiling?  Around the vents?  Or at the edges?  Depending on where, that could make a difference on whether it's really a "small minor leak" or a potentially big problem.   A simple resealing on the vents can resolve the problem or you may have to tear out part of the ceiling and replace.

With the water pump not working, that could also mean there's a problem with the hot water tank or leaking in places - if you couldn't get the pump to run water into the piping, then you can't be sure of the rest.  The hot water tank is a big fix, the piping is minor if it's out in the open versus in the flooring. It could just be that there wasn't enough water in the tank to be pumped.

A battery is a cheap fix and one that a seller would most likely do to keep the resell value up.  A battery only costs about $100 - $150 and with that, the buyer can see that the electrical works and be more willing to put out the asking price.  The fact that he didn't replace the battery suggests that there may something else wrong.  It may need a new inverter, it may have shorting in the wiring, etc.

I'm assuming you checked out the engine and everything was fine from that end.

If you're replacing the rear tires, I'd make the investment and replace the front at the same time (unless they are really brand new).

I don't think $3000 is outrageous for the clipper and if the engine is good, then that's a great start.  Just be prepared for potential issues (as mentioned above) to appear and have to be dealt with.  If they don't appear then you are in great shape.  If they do appear, then you're prepared and they'll be no big deal.

Good Luck!!

'75 American Clipper Dodge 360 821F; ACOC #3754

Clipperlover10-04

Sorry about that. Meant 2 small leak SPOTS! One spot was around where the tv antenna comes through the ceiling at the cabover bed. The other spot was in the closet to the left when you walk in. I looked at the top and it looked sealed up pretty good. I put water in the fresh tank, turned on the pump, took a bit but water came up, but out of the base of the faucet. A new washer maybe? Quickly shut off pump. Put some more water in tank and turned it back on but no more water came up. I did plug into AC power and lights and air cond. work. Fridge replaced with new one. Engine purred like a kitten! Drove, handled, and stopped well. Climbed a big hill no problem!! Engine has newer carburetor and propane- assist system installed as well. Thanks for the input you have been giving me I really appreciate it.
ACOC 3765

Toedtoes

I'd watch the leak spots through a couple rains just to be sure they've been resealed properly, but they sound good.

Did you have the AC power on when you first ran the water pump?  And was it still plugged in when you retried?  It's possible it didn't work the second time because it had no power (there's no battery to run it without AC).

You might just need a new washer or a new connector to the faucet - or possibly a new faucet.  Those are really easy to do and inexpensive.

The engine sounds great!  Just remember to get an inspection.  When I bought my clipper, the rear brakes were brand new.  I had the inspection done and they found that my emergency brake didn't work. When they were fixing that, they found that whoever did the new brake job didn't add fluid.  If I hadn't had the inspection, my rear brakes would have failed and I wouldn't have had an emergency brake for the following emergency...  Better safe than sorry and it was less than $100 for the inspection itself.

Here's hoping we see you and your new clipper at the next national rally!

Clipper Joe

Hello Clipperlover 10-04,

I have Read your Posts, Also the Post From Toedtoes,
His is Right on Track. The Battery Should have been installed for what the Sellers is asking $4,500.00 for Clipper.

Now About This Clipper you Wrote Us.
With out Seeing it, First off it is a 1979 Good year, Mileage Sounds good, You stated it Pulls Well up a Grade Etc.
Oil, Tires, Battery is not really a Big Deal, any RV that is not used as a daily Drive Will Always Need These type of Repairs.
Do you have a Mechanic you would be able to check the Ie; Brakes, Condition of engine Etc?

On to the inside, the Bathroom 14"x14" Vent is not to much cost, you would want to seal All roof areas if you Buy it Anyway..  Has Old Owner done Maintenance  or has he sent out for Repairs?
Remember That all The Things You Are saying, Is all Fixable.
Do You Have The Time, Funds Needed, & Can you maintain yourself some of it?  :D

This Clipper Sound Pretty Good. I Feel that The Price in These Times, You Need to Work on A Deal you & Seller Can Live With.( Remember there are a lot of RVs Out There That People Do Not Have Room to Keep,or lost Jobs or Pay Storage)

Like I have Said it Past, I have Seen Real Cheap Clippers, Like I got, Thought was a Good Deal, I have put more than Double than if I would have Got one that was well cared for. But Now I Know What I have Now is a Safe, Clean, A lot of New upgraded Parts, & It is the way my Wife & I Can Enjoy.

Hope This Helps, & You Will Really Enjoy a Clipper if you Get One We Sure Do ;D
Joe & Denise

One Last Thing is this Clipper in California?
If So Make Sure it Will Pass California's Smog. Very Important !!!

1977 Dodge 440  Rear Kitchen
Note: Clipper Sold: (Miss It)
ACOC#3749
Now Own 2002 Class A Diesel Pusher

Clipperlover10-04

Toadtoes: it was plugged to AC both times. So if it does turn out to be a pump issue are they expensive? Its good to know the faucet is easy and inexpensive. I will definitly get an inspection first thing! I would love to make it out to the rally!!!
ACOC 3765

Clipperlover10-04

Joe&Denise: I totally agree with you about the battery. I do have a good mechanic that will go over it for me. Awesome to know the vent isnt too expensive. I was thinking about a re-seal, definitly a must-do! Not quite sure when the owner himself used it last because he was 89 when he passed away, but yes he sent it out for repairs. Yes! Im happy that it is all fixable!!!! I have the time. I do have the funds to make it roadworthy, and plan on becoming a member to locate any and all necessary parts, and surely I can do a lot of the general maintenance myself!!!! I do think we can work out a deal!! Im glad you folks enjoy your clipper and I soon hope to be enjoying one as well! I really appreciate your input, thanks. Im actually in rural Washington, where thankfully smog is NOT requiredI! !!!

ACOC 3765

Toedtoes

No smog is good!  I've got a 75, so I don't have to worry thank goodness.

The water pump itself isn't expensive (under $100 - and that means around $50-$80 not $99.99 :) ).  You may not need to replace it, here's some info on what might be wrong with it:  http://pattyhahne.hubpages.com/hub/rvwaterpump

Joe made an excellent point about some items "always need these types of repairs".  Basic wear & tear items are gonna hit no matter what RV you buy, so worrying about having to do them isn't worth the effort (just know you can't ignore them like many people do on their cars because breaking down in an RV is a lot bigger deal than in a car).

It sure sounds like the issues are gonna be small ones on this clipper.  As for when the last owner used it, it could have been days before he passed away.  Many clipper owners are in their 70-90s and still going strong.  I like to think the clippers bring some healthy longevity to their owners!  ;)

The National is in late October, so you should have time to get him/her in order for a first run.  It's rather interesting meeting the members whose 5-10 year old posts we've been gleaning from for our clippers.