News:

The club is no longer active.  The forum will continue to be available for folks to find information and ask for help.
The tech forums are now open to all.  Other vintage Dodge-based class C owners welcome.

Main Menu

springs

Started by fly-boy, September 09, 2009, 12:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fly-boy

What type replacement springs and shocks for the front end should I buy and how big of a job will it be.

John Eversoll

Hello Fly Boy,  I havereplaced my whole front end and I was never great at the front end work.. But" if when you park the rig make sure that you make sure the tires are straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and you have a floor jack under the bottom control arm taking pressure off from the poor thing when you take off the bolts.. take offf the shocks first then you can get into taking off the bottom control arm.
When you do this you might as well replace the bushings I did and it is no biggie... Just remember if you have spacers """"   REMEMBER WHERE THEY GO!!!!!  The hardest part is replacing the bushings.  Your Local Auto supply store should be able to take care of that for 20.00.  Once you get the bottom
control arm off the spring will drop out. Be very carefull when you release the presure from the floor jack!!!!! That spring will fly  if done to fast!!
And I am sure that Fly Boy don't wana fly that way"
Keep in touch and let us know how you made out.. For a novice, time frame will be four hours...If you have someone with experience that will help ya!!!!
If you get the bushings put back in the way they came out YOU should not need a front end alignment===Providing that you havent been  jumping curbs and rail road tracks.....Good Luck  :)  Now as far as the springs go ---
I have heard that a Heavy duty Pick up spring is a great replacement.. And if JERRY IS READING THIS HE NOW want to give his answer on the springs
or was it Dan PD2 you out there????
I never had good luck with front springs on my rig so that one is up to you
John

prophetdaniel2

Not Me John, I definitely recall Jerryt was the one with the upgraded shocks.
Jerryt? got any specifics a-la brand/part#'s etc..?
-D

JerryT

http://www.stengelbros.com
This is who I got them from.
Mine are the 2250# H.D. as I have a 78 with the 1 ton front end (4000#)
I also used Monroe H.D. shocks #555037 as they were cheaper than the Bilsteins.
I also got a Timbren kit for the front.
I had a rebuilt steering box, new springs, new shocks, and a front end alignment all done at the same time. I provided the parts and only had to pay for labor. I installed the Timbren kit latter on. (see earlier post)
As I have posted before, my Clipper rides and drives like a new rig :)
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hey Jerry, what is a timbern kit???? never heard of the thing
John E. :o

JerryT

www.timbren.com

Go to the link above and be amazed :
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hey Jerrrrrrry, I have a question for ya.

The "Air bags Under the coach, can they be replaced with Air shocks or should I just replace them with the air bags" ?????
John :)

JerryT

John
I have the original air bags on my 78 and they are still good. If they fail I will replace them with the same thing as they are still available.
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi Jerry, I was wondering about the air bags as mine are flat!@!!!!
The rubber has cracks and I just figured that maybe the air shocks are the same.. But I guess not.
I know that the price is a lot higher than the Air shocks.  I priced them at 366.59
Then again the ride is scarier with the air shocks.........
I be here all day tomorrow waiting to hear from ya.
John

JerryT

Hi John
I don't think the air shocks would hold the weight of the clipper. I re-sprung the back of our Clipper with more leaves and I still need to inflate the air bags up a ways for it to sit good. With the 2250# springs up front and the extra in the back she sits and rides good ;D
JerryT

John Eversoll

Hi theer Jerry, that sounds good to me.

I might go ahead and do the same to my rig.

Thanks for the info!!!!  John E.

JerryT

John Eversoll

Oh your such a guy! I just didn't care for the price of the new ones......

But I will bite the bullett and pay for what I need
again thank you Jerry
John

JerryT

fly-boy

Thanks everyone for the help I just ordered springs and shocks from Stengel Bros
shocks part # 555037 $84.08 for two, springs part #350-7226SD the pair was $128.41
Thanks Jerry for the help I hope the springs are the right ones.