News:

This website's purpose is to share information with clipper owners and others who are interested in clippers or have old Dodge B300 chassis motorhomes.  In an attempt to share as much information as possible to as many people as possible PLEASE first post your questions in one of the forum boards rather than sending a PM to the webmaster or another member. This will allow other members to find information that may help solve their problem.  By PMing your questions, you decrease forum activity and create more work for active members who end up repeating information to individuals looking for the same information.  Thank you.

Main Menu

Brake line heads up....

Started by Horst, April 22, 2006, 06:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horst

I have been a bit lazy.......
Have not looked at all my metal brake lines lately (obviously!).....
Started my Clipper a few hours ago to take a little spin and after a good warm-up, I slowly start to turn the Clipper around in my yard to get out to the street - put on the brake to put it in Reverse......and.......the brake pedal goes to the floor, and smoke starts pouring out from under the Clipper.
BUMMER!
Metal brake line connecting front left and right brakes (runs behind frame bar) popped a leak - a big leak - and in fact I'm ashamed to say the the brake line actually  rusted so much it was kind of crusted/attached to the frame support.

So - morals of the story?
1) I was very lucky it didn't happen of Highway 17, or on the freeway, or........
2) I was stupid and lazy for not checking those out better! (Although I did have some major brake work done a year ago or so - maybe they should have mentioned something? - but nonetheless, still my responsibility)
3) If you haven't looked at yours in a while - I suggest you do.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.

Horst

...the smoke was brake fluid squirting all over the exhaust pipes....lovely.
Horst
ACOC  #2961
'75 Clipper 821F, Dodge 360........sold it in 2015.......now running a Ford F-250 towing a 2008 Layton trailer.